ADVERTISEMENT

Elated that my 'Skins got Scherff!!

Jan 17, 2003
I couldn't be happier that we took Scherff with the #5 pick. He could literally walk in and start for us at RT, RG or LG today. With that being said, I'd love to hear from you guys on what you feel his strengths and weaknesses are. I've read a ton of things from the Keipers, McShays of the world, but you guys have seen him up close and personal for years now, so I'd value your opinion much more. Thanks in advance and good luck next year.

He is a mauler in run blocking, but can struggle at times in pass protection. I agree with the scouts who think he'd be a better guard than tackle. Possible pro bowl guard, simply a solid tackle.

I read today that Gruden is going to start him out at RT. It's nice to know that if the experiment doesn't work, then we can plug him into on of the guard spots where he will thrive.

Dominating in run blocking, and serviceable with pass blocking. He has struggled against speedy edge rushers which is why he may end up as a G, but getting a Pro-bowl guard isn't the worst thing that could happen with the #5 pick.

He sometimes struggled with speedy, smaller DE's on the pass rush, so he may be a shade slow on the edge for tackle. But his lower body strength is nothing but sheer power so run blocking is his clear forte. I anticipate he'll make a nice living at guard. And he seems like a pretty decent dude. Typical small town guy. His idea of fun is fishing several times a week. Never had any discipline problems at UI.

Something else as a positive is Iowa OL's are generally taught multiple positions to provide flexibility. A move to guard shouldn't be painful.

Solid player, probably be more worried that he isn't yet another player that goes to Washington to watch his career die, and end up an All Pro elsewhere.

Punishing drive blocker. Most physical lineman I have ever seen at Iowa. It will be interesting to see how monstrous he becomes as he matures in the league. He is the definition of down-to-earth. Great character/team guy.

Think he will be better at tackle than a guard. He's EXTREMELY athletic for his size, but he needs to improve in pass pro, even if he lands at guard. He handles speed pretty well, but he did get exposed by a few certain players in his career. It only happened a handful of times in 36 starts. It has come up so often because it's fresh in everyone's mind as it happened in the bowl game against Tennessee.

I'm extremely happy and predicted the Skins would pick him. Looks like little brother does
Listen to older brother. I think he will be the starting right tackle from day one.
He is the best run blocker Iowa has had in a long time.
He did get exposed in pass blocking a couple of games with speed rushers, but considering
We had a Statue at QB I will give him a pass.
RGIii and Morris will love him!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT