ADVERTISEMENT

Electric vehicles are exploding from water damage after Hurricane Ian, top Florida official warns

EV batteries don't like water, and if they happen to catch fire, water doesn't put the fire out very effectively.

Floods are still bad for cars, homes, people. There's an island in Waterloo where my 5th grade teacher lived that's basically ruins since 2008.

However, when fires do occur, electric vehicles with lithium ion batteries burn hotter, faster and require far more water to reach final extinguishment, Sutcliffe says. And the batteries can re-ignite hours or even days after the fire is initially controlled, leaving salvage yards, repair shops and others at risk.

Eh....I have handled two EV fires (Fisker and Tesla) and numerous small lithium ion battery fires, and the testing we have performed does not indicate a "hotter" burning fire -- sounds more like anecdotal evidence--which is common place in fire scene--than actual testing. As for the car battery reigniting after the fire, I don't know why the leads would not be disconnected after a fire involving a fault in the battery.

Teslas generally do ok in the water.

Tesla-MIC-Model-3-sumberged-in-flood_1600x.jpeg

Tesla-Model-3-Water-3.gif

tefgif.gif

The Punta Gorda Copart auction is shaping up to have the most salvaged high end cars I’ve ever seen in one place.

Reactions: Finance85
Eh....I have handled two EV fires (Fisker and Tesla) and numerous small lithium ion battery fires, and the testing we have performed does not indicate a "hotter" burning fire -- sounds more like anecdotal evidence--which is common place in fire scene--than actual testing. As for the car battery reigniting after the fire, I don't know why the leads would not be disconnected after a fire involving a fault in the battery.
You might want to share your evidence with the FAA and airline industry.

Reactions: EagleHawk
You might want to share your evidence with the FAA and airline industry.
What does that mean? The FAA banned transportation of lithium ion batteries because they can ignite -- due to various reasons, but usually due to a contamination or a defect in the manufacturing process. I didn't suggest that was not occurring. The hypothesis was that lithium ion batteries burn "hotter." I guess I should have asked "hotter than what?" Generally, a lithium battery burns at 800 degrees C, which is damn hot. However, it is not uncommon to find melted copper in an under hood fire in a ICE and copper (if i recall) has a melting point of 1,000 C.

If Republicans could choose one thing to fail, the electric vehicle industry would win in a landslide. Putin/Russia might be a distant second, but EVs would be very close to unanimous.

Of course it's a faux news article. They are on high alert for anything they see as negative about EVs or wind/hydro/solar power. The narrative needs to be pushed.
Didn't do the investigative work, but is this site too political?

It is silly for anyone to want EV’s to fail but there are still many obstacles before they can take over for gas powered and I don’t believe they ever will completely anyway…

Didn't do the investigative work, but is this site too political?

The issue is that the same condition (corroded battery leads) would occur in the engine compartment of a ICE. Now, I don't know if flooding could cause an internal fault in the lithium battery, but have not seen anything to suggest that is concern.

What does that mean? The FAA banned transportation of lithium ion batteries because they can ignite -- due to various reasons, but usually due to a contamination or a defect in the manufacturing process. I didn't suggest that was not occurring. The hypothesis was that lithium ion batteries burn "hotter." I guess I should have asked "hotter than what?" Generally, a lithium battery burns at 800 degrees C, which is damn hot. However, it is not uncommon to find melted copper in an under hood fire in a ICE and copper (if i recall) has a melting point of 1,000 C.
https://lyten.com/lithium-battery-fires-a-burning-issue/

You make good points, but I'm not aware of any ICE vehicle fire that couldn't be extinguished.

Make no mistake, I'm pro-EV. I'm just not on board with the notion they are the end all - be all for transportation, As with everything, there are pros and cons. To ignore the cons doesn't seem very smart to me.

I have a Jeep Wrangler and Nissan sedan. When I went out of town a couple of weeks ago, I drove the Nissan to the airport instead of the Jeep. I did this because there was a hurricane, I live in a flood prone area, and the Nissan has 4" ground clearance and electronics that sit low on the interior firewall. The Jeep is a much better choice to withstand a couple of feet of water. Pros and Cons. If I had an EV, the EV would be going to the airport parking garage,

There are a couple of roads in eastern CA and western NV that are long and steep and you can see all along the shoulder the scars from cars that overheated and burned to the ground. No one writes articles about it because it's not news that ICE cars sometimes burn to the ground.

Reactions: ericram
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT