ADVERTISEMENT

Electric vehicles too woke for Georgia

They want $1.5 billion in tax savings. All states need to stop doing this bs because it screws other businesses and residents into paying for things that don’t benefit them and likely harm them.

Reactions: TunzaHawk
What makes them Woke other than being an EV company, which doesn't make them woke at all...

I understand wanting to leave CA, but really...

They want $1.5 billion in tax savings. All states need to stop doing this bs because it screws other businesses and residents into paying for things that don’t benefit them and likely harm them.
That is a fair criticism. The problem is, David Purdue and his cronies aren’t criticizing the move because they hate tax credits, they are criticizing the move because they are “George Soros-owned woke corporation whose stated purpose is to combat climate change.”

We get a key material from Georgia and have had a miserable time trying to get it because they can't get people hired. They have been a rock solid supplier for over 30 years for us, and can't get enough help.

I'd be fine with these car builders going to any other state.

FWIW, why not California? What's the issue with that?

We get a key material from Georgia and have had a miserable time trying to get it because they can't get people hired. They have been a rock solid supplier for over 30 years for us, and can't get enough help.

CA labor laws are not fun in my experience. WA is bad too. They’re over regulated. Can’t imagine being a manufacturer there, it has to be brutal.

That is a fair criticism. The problem is, David Purdue and his cronies aren’t criticizing the move because they hate tax credits, they are criticizing the move because they are “George Soros-owned woke corporation whose stated purpose is to combat climate change.”
Meh whatever. All’s well that ends well. This is a handout to get taxpayers to fund a company. If that company doesn’t align with their values, good for them. Why prop up something you don’t want in your community?

Well for starters they're a business. California doesn't exactly have a reputation for being business friendly.

Also, the supply of the key component coming from GA appears to be a motivator.

And now the Woke Chinese* are coming.
Meh whatever. All’s well that ends well. This is a handout to get taxpayers to fund a company. If that company doesn’t align with their values, good for them. Why prop up something you don’t want in your community?

Wanna bet they got the exact same incentives?

Interesting article. The woke objections are dumb, but I do not blame the locals for objecting. It will totally ruin their bucolic surroundings. Plus, its management does not really inspire confidence. Its ipo opened at 100/ share last fall and It's now around $28/share. Woof.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf

So now that the your tax argument was put to bed, you'll just switch your argument to support not liking the ideology? Just admit it's a dumb reason to not let a company start operating there. It's OK to admit your party is wrong when they are. Not to mention it appears the f'ing Chinese are now allowed to build a plant there. For those following along, California is bad and China is good.

GOP support for Russia and China grow by the day as long as it continues to "own the Dems".

So now that the your tax argument was put to bed, you'll just switch your argument to support not liking the ideology? Just admit it's a dumb reason to not let a company start operating there. It's OK to admit your party is wrong when they are.
I don’t have a party. I do, however, like to party.

So now that the your tax argument was put to bed, you'll just switch your argument to support not liking the ideology? Just admit it's a dumb reason to not let a company start operating there. It's OK to admit your party is wrong when they are.
Great. Now he has to come back and start blathering about how he is really a Dem, but they are crazy, and he’s just a common sense guy of an indeterminate age and racial make up, who may be retired, or working, and is quite possibly married.

Great. Now he has to come back and start blathering about how he is really a Dem, but they are crazy, and he’s just a common sense guy of an indeterminate age and racial make up, who may be retired, or working, and is quite possibly married.
I can just see the tears running down your face as you typed this one out.

Interesting article. The woke objections are dumb, but I do not blame the locals for objecting. It will totally ruin their bucolic surroundings. Plus, its management does not really inspire confidence. Its ipo opened at 100/ share last fall and It's now around $28/share. Woof.
Everything is woke these days. Bucolic is another word for poor, by the way. I love how people are so worried about good jobs in some of these low unemployment areas. Yeah, it’s gonna force wages up, and continue to empty out rural areas.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Everything is woke these days. Bucolic is another word for poor, by the way. I love how people are so worried about good jobs in some of these low unemployment areas. Yeah, it’s gonna force wages up, and continue to empty out rural areas.
Per the article you posted that area is very nice and does not need added jobs. Also, please expand your vocabulary by looking up bucolic. It might actually help you expand your mind a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: NCHawk5
Per the article you posted that area is very nice and does not need added jobs. Also, please expand your vocabulary by looking up bucolic. It might actually help you expand your mind a little.

The author used bucolic so I guess you can too. Bucolic is a relative term that would probably be determined by each individual differently. "Country Life" outside of Atlanta does seem real country to me, but I'm from Iowa.

They can certainly use that thin veil as an excuse, but it's more derived from the GOP's continued use of the culture war (even though they apparently despise it)

The author used bucolic so I guess you can too. Bucolic is a relative term that would probably be determined by each individual differently. "Country Life" outside of Atlanta does seem real country to me, but I'm from Iowa.

They can certainly use that thin veil as an excuse, but it's more derived from the GOP's continued use of the culture war (even though they apparently despise it)
Thanks for your permission to use a word that describes the area. I am really lucky the article's author used it so you would also deem it worthy of your permission.🙄

As I said earlier, I do not blame the locals. From the article:

Several residents said they moved here to escape the inexorable growth of Atlanta and now worry the Rivian plant will usher in more development that will eventually swallow their hayfields and antebellum mansions, thanks to the area’s combination of cheap land and proximity to an interstate and a rail line.

Keith Wilson, who is running for the Morgan County Board of Commissioners to try to stop the Rivian plant, said he found no supporters for it after knocking on more than 800 doors in his campaign. The county’s unemployment rate is just 2 percent, he said, so the company should take their jobs where they’re needed.

Also, please expand your vocabulary by looking up bucolic. It might actually help you expand your mind a little.
All evidence points to this not being possible. Admirable that you’re trying though.

This is funny. Now do every other thing propped up by public money, often under dubious “benefit” to communities.

Hmm. Let’s just start with the poor and “disabled”
Was thinking more about things like fracking, for example. Quite a few fracking sites could be (formerly) described as “bucolic”. Or exurban development, funded partially by those remaining in the now-disinvested urban core, so that people could re-segregate, based on fear-stoking appeals promoted by the developers who stand to gain, that renders what could be described as “bucolic” older neighborhoods with their unique architectures and big old trees and sidewalks and front porches inviting neighborliness etc etc., renders them, well, disinvested and crumbling.

We are sold horseshit all the time. All the time. Usually to the benefit of the few versus the many.

But folks sure have interesting filters for skepticism.

Was thinking more about things like fracking, for example. Quite a few fracking sites could be (formerly) described as “bucolic”. Or exurban development, funded partially by those remaining in the now-disinvested urban core, so that people could re-segregate, based on fear-stoking appeals promoted by the developers who stand to gain, that renders what could be described as “bucolic” older neighborhoods with their unique architectures and big old trees and sidewalks and front porches inviting neighborliness etc etc., renders them, well, disinvested and crumbling.

We are sold horseshit all the time. All the time. Usually to the benefit of the few versus the many.

I agree. I don’t consume the trash and despise almost all tax credits, abatements, etc. because they incentivize economic decisions on the backs of everyone else.

I think the frack sand mining may disturb things more than the actual fracking, from what I have read. Development of any sort often upsets locals to the area, in my experience.

You should look up the definition of bucolic, too.

I think the frack sand mining may disturb things more than the actual fracking, from what I have read. Development of any sort often upsets locals to the area, in my experience.
Yes on the former, not necessarily on the latter.

Thanks for your permission to use a word that describes the area. I am really lucky the article's author used it so you would also deem it worthy of your permission.🙄

As I said earlier, I do not blame the locals. From the article:

Several residents said they moved here to escape the inexorable growth of Atlanta and now worry the Rivian plant will usher in more development that will eventually swallow their hayfields and antebellum mansions, thanks to the area’s combination of cheap land and proximity to an interstate and a rail line.

Keith Wilson, who is running for the Morgan County Board of Commissioners to try to stop the Rivian plant, said he found no supporters for it after knocking on more than 800 doors in his campaign. The county’s unemployment rate is just 2 percent, he said, so the company should take their jobs where they’re needed.
What is the average wage where they want to place the plant? Would these be better paying jobs? That is the point. You cannot place a plant like this where there isn't a population base, and the needed infrastructure, and lack of unions. A move like this drives growth and raises wages for workers throughout the area.

It’s amazing to watch how anti business the GOP has become when it bumps up against the anti science cult.
Anti business, that’s rich. Tax incentives are a zero sum game that screw people who are already established in the state. Someone’s paying for their free ride.

The ABSOLUTE worst thing to happen to consumers in Georgia was natural gas deregulation. The monopoly was much cheaper. The company that had the monopoly became the infrastructure provider, in that their pipes were used to transport natural gas. On top of that as added a layer of about 10 or so marketers that were going to compete against each other to provide consumers with natural gas at a lower cost per therm. The original company, of course, gets paid by the consumer for everyone using their pipes. The cost for the pipe usage along, before a single therm of gas is used, is HIGHER than my total bill ever was under the monopoly. When pressed, the politicians said yes, but it saves money for the corporate heavy users.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
That’s not really on management. Morans refuse to understand that electric cars are just cars. No car company should have had that valuation coming out of the gate. Rivian builds a really cool product and these will be good jobs. I just wouldn’t expect them to build or sell F-150 numbers in the near future, or ever.

That’s not really on management. Morans refuse to understand that electric cars are just cars. No car company should have had that valuation coming out of the gate. Rivian builds a really cool product and these will be good jobs. I just wouldn’t expect them to build or sell F-150 numbers in the near future, or ever.
Yeah, It's on management. From the linked article:

Under acute pressure to correct course, Amazon-backed EV startup Rivian conceded it made its “most painful” mistake yet and said it will roll back upcoming price hikes for most of its customers.

After sparking a storm of online outrage culminating in a double-digit decline in its shares on Wednesday, founder R.J. Scaringe admitted he shattered fans’ trust when he jacked up the prices of his two models without warning.

“I have made a lot of mistakes since starting Rivian more than 12 years ago, but this one has been the most painful. I am truly sorry and committed to rebuilding your trust,” he wrote in an open letter on Thursday, passing off the blunder as a learning mistake.

That's just one example of several. Thay could do a much better job.

Yeah, It's on management. From the linked article:

Under acute pressure to correct course, Amazon-backed EV startup Rivian conceded it made its “most painful” mistake yet and said it will roll back upcoming price hikes for most of its customers.

After sparking a storm of online outrage culminating in a double-digit decline in its shares on Wednesday, founder R.J. Scaringe admitted he shattered fans’ trust when he jacked up the prices of his two models without warning.

“I have made a lot of mistakes since starting Rivian more than 12 years ago, but this one has been the most painful. I am truly sorry and committed to rebuilding your trust,” he wrote in an open letter on Thursday, passing off the blunder as a learning mistake.

That's just one example of several. Thay could do a much better job.

And what accounts for the $70 dollars a share they lost after that? They were given a hundred billion dollar valuation producing 8 trucks a day.

And as for raising prices. Elon does that literally all the time. Do you really think he plans to deliver the highest level of the Cyber Truck for $69k? All the inputs have gone up dramatically.

Reactions: lucas80
ADVERTISEMENT