ADVERTISEMENT

Elephant in the room

Jul 14, 2022
I know the O line play hasn’t been great for years, 2015? But it’s been at least average or better except for the last two. I keep going back to something mentioned on the WUW podcast about how much time Doyle put in with the O linemen in particular. They said Doyle was pretty hands off on the Defensive guys because PP pretty much held them to the Iowa standard but Doyle really pushed the O linemen.

Is that coming home to roost or is it the injuries and poor recruiting of the 18-19 classes or injuries to guys like Jeff Jenkins, Tyler Endres, Britt, and Ince that are to blame?

This offense, football program and athletic department have so many “elephants” right now that PETA will probably be opening an investigation…
Actually the athletic department is in pretty good shape. So ma ny programs, men and women, are in very good shape. The budget is in terrific shape with $80-$100 million expected every year. If one looks at the big picture it looks pretty good. The football program just won the west and ten games. Yes, the offense is below average but we do have plenty of talent in the program to turn things around if this year doesn't end well.

Actually the athletic department is in pretty good shape. So ma ny programs, men and women, are in very good shape. The budget is in terrific shape with $80-$100 million expected every year. If one looks at the big picture it looks pretty good. The football program just won the west and ten games. Yes, the offense is below average but we do have plenty of talent in the program to turn things around if this year doesn't end well.
Well, the turnaround better stop at 180 degrees, otherwise we are going full circle and be in the same situation.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
OL is not playing consistently well together, that is the undeniable understatement of the year. So naturally what we should do is week in and week out put behind them a robotic, panic-stricken, slow, non-athletic, inaccurate QB with bad footwork, zero instincts for the game, no escapability, a nearly 1:4 touchdown to interception ratio over his last 12 games, and no other meaningful intangibles.

Disagree on having the talent needed to turn the program around. We don't have talent on the O line and we don't have talent at QB..

I’m not talking about money and sports that nobody cares about. I’m talking about corruption and an AD that’s been involved in far more scandals/controversies than Big Ten championships.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
I know the O line play hasn’t been great for years, 2015? But it’s been at least average or better except for the last two. I keep going back to something mentioned on the WUW podcast about how much time Doyle put in with the O linemen in particular. They said Doyle was pretty hands off on the Defensive guys because PP pretty much held them to the Iowa standard but Doyle really pushed the O linemen.

Is that coming home to roost or is it the injuries and poor recruiting of the 18-19 classes or injuries to guys like Jeff Jenkins, Tyler Endres, Britt, and Ince that are to blame?
Doyle may have been responsible for running a number of players off. The deal is,everyone is replaceable. Surprised that Doyle never took a job elsewhere before shtf.

Reactions: Hawk and Awe
It doesn't matter how much talent is on the field on offense if the OL and QB positions are underperforming. That is where we are, and have been for quite some time.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
Below average? Since when is dead last just below average? There isn't talent in the program to turn it around either. If so, we haven't seen it. Kaleb Johnson is one bright spot though, so is Leshon Williams. Other than that it is pretty bleak.

Reactions: amahawk
It doesn't matter how much talent is on the field on offense if the OL and QB positions are underperforming. That is where we are, and have been for quite some time.
As long as dumb and dumber are on the sidelines I don't think it matters who we have playing. They would find a way to lose with Alabama talent.

Reactions: amahawk
Below average? Since when is dead last just below average? There isn't talent in the program to turn it around either. If so, we haven't seen it. Kaleb Johnson is one bright spot though, so is Leshon Williams. Other than that it is pretty bleak.
Lachey, Laporta, L. Williams. It's time for a new scheme, but one bright spot is just a bad take.

Dead last is definitely below average. Are you suggesting they are average or above average? I have to disagree.

Dead last is definitely below average. Are you suggesting they are average or above average? I have to disagree.
Ol' Doodle doesn't presume to speak for Dargo...but his use of the word "just" is probably the key cipher here. In other words..."below average" might be the teams ranked say 70th through 100th in total offense. So to imply that Iowa at 131 (aka dead last) is MERELY below average as opposed to terrible or horrific or historically abysmal, while technically accurate, implies that we are anywhere within the realm of spitting distance of being "below average". In fact, we'd need to average like 450 yards per game over the final 7 to even get close to "below average", so using that phrase to describe Iowa's offense artificially masks the monumental magnitude of our awfulness.

yes kf should have said if doyle goes I go.

• Haha
Reactions: RCHdude

Look at the age of the starters. How many seniors? How many juniors?. That's the clue that will guide you to the answer.

Reactions: squeezebox
I kinda think what you’re saying here is total BS.

The offensive line and general strength program hasn’t felt the same since the rhabdo incident. That may be a coincidence or maybe declining success was why they were pushing the envelope or I might be misremembering the timeline all together.

But Doyle’s impact on the program his last 8-10 years feels really overstated. And while he may have been falsely accused - he was definitely creating a toxic atmosphere

That’s all just conjecture, but there are some o-line numbers that seem to support it. This was actually really surprising - didn’t realize it was this bad/average outside of 2016

Last edited:

Not enough for a men's swim team apparently

Reactions: littlez
ADVERTISEMENT