ADVERTISEMENT

Elon Musk weighs in

Cho demonstrated a rifle isn’t necessary to slaughter people inside a building. A handgun can do the trick.
Need more clarification?

A hammer can kill people also. There's a range of effectiveness for different weapons. Where does an AR-15 fit in that range?

Reactions: RileyHawk
Thanks for convincing me that universal background checks are the way to go for owning guns.
Cho purchased his firearms from a dealer, and had background checks. He also had to wait 30 days between the purchase and delivery of each gun. He should have been red flagged based on mental health episodes and evaluation.

We don't institutionalize enough of the nutters.

Cho had previously been diagnosed with selective mutism and severe depression. During much of his middle school and high school years, he received therapy and special education support. After graduating from high school, Cho enrolled at Virginia Tech. Because of federal privacy laws, the university was unaware of Cho's previous diagnoses or the accommodations he had been granted at school. In 2005, Cho was accused of stalking two female students. After an investigation, a Virginia special justice declared Cho mentally ill and ordered him to attend treatment. Because he was not institutionalized, he was allowed to purchase guns. The shooting prompted the state of Virginia to close legal loopholes that had allowed individuals adjudicated as mentally unsound to purchase handguns without detection by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). It also led to passage of the only major federal gun control measure in the U.S. since 1994. The law strengthening the NICS was signed by President George W. Bush on January 5, 2008.

---

Since the deinstitutionalization movement of the 1960s, civil commitment in the United States almost always requires a finding of dangerousness -- both imminent and physical -- as determined by a judge. Most of the rest of the world has more reasonable standards -- you might almost call them "common sense" -- allowing family, friends and even acquaintances to petition for involuntarily commitment, with the final decision made by doctors.
The result of our laissez-faire approach to dangerous psychotics is visible in the swarms of homeless people on our streets, crazy people in our prison populations and the prevalence of mass shootings.
According to a 2002 report by Central Institute of Mental Health for the European Union, the number of involuntarily detained mental patients, per 100,000 people, in other countries looks like this:

• Austria, 175
  • Finland, 218
  • Germany, 175
  • Sweden, 114
  • England, 93
The absolute maximum number of mental patients per 100,000 people who could possibly be institutionalized by the state in the U.S. -- voluntarily or involuntarily -- is: 17. Yes, according to the Treatment Advocacy Center, there are a grand total of 17 psychiatric beds even available, not necessarily being used. In 1955, there were 340.

284235735_10109929627783269_6113918539502510994_n.jpg

What about Maine, Vermont, NH? What makes them different than the states you’re discussing? Hint: look at demographics
Lol - they are basically equivalent or higher than Illinois. You know, where Chicago is? :rolleyes:

At Virginia Tech the shooter killed 32 people and wounded 17 with handguns.
I think that is still the 'record'.

Cho used two pistols during the attacks: a .22-caliber Walther P22 semi-automatic handgun and a 9 mm semi-automatic Glock 19 handgun

Vegas and Orlando have the record unless you are limiting this to just educational facilities.

At Virginia Tech the shooter killed 32 people and wounded 17 with handguns.
I think that is still the 'record'.

Cho used two pistols during the attacks: a .22-caliber Walther P22 semi-automatic handgun and a 9 mm semi-automatic Glock 19 handgun
Asians are really good at math. Besting lazy Americans again.

Pardon me, I thought your response was germane to the discussion.
You’re wondering about something super specific. I’m not here for homework assignments. If you’re super interested, you can do the work and come back and share what you’ve found. That’s not unfair.

You’re wondering about something super specific. I’m not here for homework assignments. If you’re super interested, you can do the work and come back and share what you’ve found. That’s not unfair.
Specific and relevant.

The absolute maximum number of mental patients per 100,000 people who could possibly be institutionalized by the state in the U.S. -- voluntarily or involuntarily -- is: 17. Yes, according to the Treatment Advocacy Center, there are a grand total of 17 psychiatric beds even available, not necessarily being used. In 1955, there were 340.

In 1955 you could buy a gun through the Sears catalog.
Same as in 1905.

I’m not saying we need to back to the Cuckoo’s Nest, but the pendulum has swung to far away from protecting society from the insane.

So, he can’t legally buy a hand gun, but can an AR 15. Makes perfect sense for Texas.
Florida changed that law, along with strengthening the red flag law. The Florida Baker Act has been in effect since 1971, but people could lie on their Form 4473. Now new transactions are flagged, and firearms that are already owned can be confiscated. The latter was already true for anyone being accused of a violent felony or misdemeanor domestic violence.

Last edited:
Florida changed that law, along with strengthening the red flag law. The Florida Baker Act has been in effect since 1971, but people could lie on their Form 4473. Now new transactions are fagged, and firearms that are already owned can be confiscated. The latter was already true for anyone being accused of a violent felony or misdemeanor domestic violence.
All the more reason for deep background checks. I know Florida changed it, but sadly Texas went the opposite direction by going constitutional carry. Dude shot 120 rounds in 120 seconds from a legally purchased rifle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT