ADVERTISEMENT

Elsbury on vacation.

SuperSK

HR MVP
Oct 29, 2001
Coming into this year I was excited to see what Elsbury could do at OG. He was the second best OL out of Wisconsin his senior year with mauler type of film. Has he played a snap yet? He's still on the depth chart isn't he? Another matrix OL disappears ? Anyone........😎❤️🏈

Coming into this year I was excited to see what Elsbury could do at OG. He was the second best OL out of Wisconsin his senior year with mauler type of film. Has he played a snap yet? He's still on the depth chart isn't he? Another matrix OL disappears ? Anyone........😎❤️🏈
You have the wrong state, he is from Illinois. I am not sure, but I think he may have been in for a few snaps last week. Maybe someone else knows.

He is another one of those linemen that has been here 3 or more years that either really hasn't shown a lot yet or has shown very little to no progress. It's really concerning how the OL is not developing while BF has been OC. Sure we've had a few studs but as a whole the entire unit has been in major decline these past 5-6 years. Right now Iowa isn't getting much quality out of their veteran Olinemen. That tells me its coaching.

He is another one of those linemen that has been here 3 or more years that either really hasn't shown a lot yet or has shown very little to no progress. It's really concerning how the OL is not developing while BF has been OC. Sure we've had a few studs but as a whole the entire unit has been in major decline these past 5-6 years. Right now Iowa isn't getting much quality out of their veteran Olinemen. That tells me its coaching.
He's in his 3rd year so he hasn't been here 3 years yet unless you count 2 games as a year...

Most likely injuries

He's in his 3rd year so he hasn't been here 3 years yet unless you count 2 games as a year...
He's been through his 3rd Summer/Fall Camp and into his 3rd year. Typically by now we see what these guys have to offer. The year 3 and older guys have largely been disappointing so far. Plumb, DeJong and Richman have all had several starts under their belt and haven't shown much. Others like Elsbury we have seen very little of. Concerning given the lack of quality these past two seasons.

He's been through his 3rd Summer/Fall Camp and into his 3rd year. Typically by now we see what these guys have to offer. The year 3 and older guys have largely been disappointing so far. Plumb, DeJong and Richman have all had several starts under their belt and haven't shown much. Others like Elsbury we have seen very little of. Concerning given the lack of quality these past two seasons.
You said he has been here 3 years. He hasn't. He's in his 3rd year. Not a difficult concept to grasp for most.

Quinn Schulte has been at Iowa 3 years and is now on his 4th. Is HE a failure because he didn't start until his 4th year?

OL major concern. On paper, lots of accolades … On the field development is really lacking. I don’t remember an OLine where we see Iowa guys chasing after guys who easily rushed past them. Or guys simply blocking no one on the play and standing there watching the play collapse … Is it BF? Newer OL coach? Boy, never worried about Iowa on the OLine front but just not seeing it this year and LOTS of holes, missed blocks, etc.

OL major concern. On paper, lots of accolades … On the field development is really lacking. I don’t remember an OLine where we see Iowa guys chasing after guys who easily rushed past them. Or guys simply blocking no one on the play and standing there watching the play collapse … Is it BF? Newer OL coach? Boy, never worried about Iowa on the OLine front but just not seeing it this year and LOTS of holes, missed blocks, etc.
The execution has been HORRIBLE!!! Not sure what the problem is but it has to get fixed fast. Hell, the o-line isn't moving together at the snap. That's terrible!

Not sure I'd qualify playing major college sports a vacation. Seems like tough work

Reactions: BBHawk
You said he has been here 3 years. He hasn't. He's in his 3rd year. Not a difficult concept to grasp for most.

Quinn Schulte has been at Iowa 3 years and is now on his 4th. Is HE a failure because he didn't start until his 4th year?
This is pretty stupid to argue over. He has been here 3 years. Has been through 3 preseason camps and is in his 3rd year. I said it's concerning all these 3rd year and more guys haven't shown much. That hasn't been a problem in the past getting Olinemen ready by their 3rd year. I never mentioned anything about 3 full years thats just how you decided to take it. The guys playing right now aren't ready to be starters.

I was told they started fall camp with 20 healthy OL and after two weeks or so, they were down to 11 healthy guys. I have heard Colby is dealing with back issues as well.

• Wow
Reactions: CeeTeeHawk1
Exactly Rusty. Yes, the QB play has been bad. Very bad. But folks, take your eye off the ball and watch the Iowa line on every play. It's unrecognizable from what we are used to under KF. OL who don't block the guy right in front of them, who runs right by them and buries the ball carrier. Over and over.

This is very concerning. You just can't play offense like that.

This is pretty stupid to argue over. He has been here 3 years. Has been through 3 preseason camps and is in his 3rd year. I said it's concerning all these 3rd year and more guys haven't shown much. That hasn't been a problem in the past getting Olinemen ready by their 3rd year. I never mentioned anything about 3 full years thats just how you decided to take it. The guys playing right now aren't ready to be starters.
When an online is really good, it usually piles up so kids don’t play until they are a redshirt Jr.

When an online is really good, it usually piles up so kids don’t play until they are a redshirt Jr.
As you stated when an o-line is really good. Problem is at Iowa these past seasons it hasn't been good and Iowa has been struggling to find quality starters and quality depth. Problem for Iowa the quality is lacking in the SR and JR classes and we've yet to see anything positive from the 3rd year SO's. The 2nd year guys it's too early to tell but Colby has had a tough start to the season so far which continues to raise that question of why aren't we seeing much if any year to year growth from these guys? Its becoming more and more of a question each year.

I was told they started fall camp with 20 healthy OL and after two weeks or so, they were down to 11 healthy guys. I have heard Colby is dealing with back issues as well.
Isn't it interesting that we have so many players getting beat up in practice, but can't put QBs under fire enough to find out who does best when the bullets are flying?

As you stated when an o-line is really good. Problem is at Iowa these past seasons it hasn't been good and Iowa has been struggling to find quality starters and quality depth. Problem for Iowa the quality is lacking in the SR and JR classes and we've yet to see anything positive from the 3rd year SO's. The 2nd year guys it's too early to tell but Colby has had a tough start to the season so far which continues to raise that question of why aren't we seeing much if any year to year progress from these guys? Its becoming more and more of a question each year.
Especially when the OL is supposed to be the wheelhouse of KF and BF.

I find it hard to understand numbers. We recruit 5 or 6 OF linemen every year (maybe). That should be around at least 25 on the team by the time they're 5 years are up and yet we have crap playing this year. WOW

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman
Is it an injury with him? I thought he was one of the best in the midwest out of hs. Another befuddling aspect of Iowa football lately.

As you stated when an o-line is really good. Problem is at Iowa these past seasons it hasn't been good and Iowa has been struggling to find quality starters and quality depth. Problem for Iowa the quality is lacking in the SR and JR classes and we've yet to see anything positive from the 3rd year SO's. The 2nd year guys it's too early to tell but Colby has had a tough start to the season so far which continues to raise that question of why aren't we seeing much if any year to year growth from these guys? Its becoming more and more of a question each year.

Between the 18 and 19 classes, Iowa had 8 scholarship OL commits (if you count Linderbaum who was a DT out of HS but switched early). 3 of them are still on the team. Linderbaum developed into a stud. Ince showed promise in 2020, got hurt, and never recovered. Plumb has not shown the ability to compete. Britt has been injured his entire career. Endres has not seen the field except possibly in mop-up time. Jenkins and Fenske left after two years; Miller "retired" after one year only to unretire and end up at Nollege U.
Summary: Iowa has zero production on the roster from 4th and 5th-year players. From the 20 class, Richman has not developed as he should have considering he played as a true freshman and has played every game the past two seasons. Elsbury has not broken through. The 2021 group is going to have to grow up fast.

Reactions: Auger
I find it hard to understand numbers. We recruit 5 or 6 OF linemen every year (maybe). That should be around at least 25 on the team by the time they're 5 years are up and yet we have crap playing this year. WOW

They have taken 16 OL in the past five classes. Linderbaum, Jones, and Liddle were DL out of HS so that gets the total to 19.

Or it’s maybe just poor recruiting.

They have taken 16 OL in the past five classes. Linderbaum, Jones, and Liddle were DL out of HS so that gets the total to 19.
Here is where we're ranked in the top ten nationally: moving high school TE's to OL, moving OL to DL and DL to Ol. Out thinking things again by KF. 😎❤️🏈

We need to string together 3 studs at minimum. Proctor is a great starting point, but he's realistically 2 years away.

“Sure we've had a few studs but as a whole the entire unit has been in major decline these past 5-6 years.”
Other than a few outliers early that has been the OL recipe at Iowa. It has however gotten worse the last 2 years

I'd say this supports my notion that the Iowa coaches need to take a serious look at how they run practices. Half the team gets hurt. No development on the OL. Petras apparently looks like Joe Montana. Something ain't right...

Calculate Figure It Out GIF by Originals

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
You don’t think he can start next year as a true freshman with the current Iowa line and his size? He will start left tackle as a true freshman next year. He isn’t a five star for nothing.
He is not a Wirfs either though. What I saw in the state title game last year was not what a person would expect from a "5 Star" athlete.

You don’t think he can start next year as a true freshman with the current Iowa line and his size? He will start left tackle as a true freshman next year. He isn’t a five star for nothing.
Yes but to be a stud, another year is probably needed.

Plumb was a TE in high school, and a project. Dejong was a walk on. The issues were that we missed, especially on tackle recruits for a couple of years. Erza Miller was a big get (at the time) that provided nothing, and then he bailed. Then between injuries, (Davidkov, Britt, Elsbury), and the early departure of both Wirfs, and Kallenburger we got caught scrambling. The jury seems to still be out on our new OL coach though..

Reactions: millhawk
Yep

Plumb was a TE in high school, and a project. Dejong was a walk on. The issues were that we missed, especially on tackle recruits for a couple of years. Erza Miller was a big get (at the time) that provided nothing, and then he bailed. Then between injuries, (Davidkov, Britt, Elsbury), and the early departure of both Wirfs, and Kallenburger we got caught scrambling. The jury seems to still be out on our new OL coach though..

So you are saying Elsbury is hurt right? I would feel better if that is true instead of believing that he's just not very good.

If only there existed some means where Iowa could check out players looking to transfer and try to get some of these guys to fill obvious holes…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT