ADVERTISEMENT

Elsbury on vacation.

You said he has been here 3 years. He hasn't. He's in his 3rd year. Not a difficult concept to grasp for most.

Quinn Schulte has been at Iowa 3 years and is now on his 4th. Is HE a failure because he didn't start until his 4th year?

Quinn would have been behind a 3 year starter that is sniffing the NFL.

The Iowa OL has not very good for past 2 years and Elsbury not distinquishing himself on what so far has been the worst offense in Div1 football....so that strikes me as different situation than your example.

Stars flash early, like Wirfs.....guys that are meh and have to work hard to make up for lack of atheticism, maybe in 4th and 5th year they are serviceable. Meh doesn't win you a lot of games.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15 and BBHawk
Something to keep in mind is that the 2020 class did not get any fall camp and limited coaching in summer due to Covid. Hansen center was shut down for that summer Those kids were thrown right into scout team for a scramble big ten season. So when they roll around the next year it’s their first install of offense or defense. Same as incoming class of the next year. I would expect some lag time. But I thought Elsbury looked good last night. Offense seemed to run the ball and Petrece had time. He was listed 1 in the spring and fall. I expect him to fill the guard or center spot. I believe he still has 4 years of eligibility

I'd say this supports my notion that the Iowa coaches need to take a serious look at how they run practices. Half the team gets hurt. No development on the OL. Petras apparently looks like Joe Montana. Something ain't right...
I bet you were good with it as recent as last year or 2015.

Coming into this year I was excited to see what Elsbury could do at OG. He was the second best OL out of Wisconsin his senior year with mauler type of film. Has he played a snap yet? He's still on the depth chart isn't he? Another matrix OL disappears ? Anyone........😎❤️🏈
Something to keep in mind is that the 2020 class did not get any fall camp and limited coaching in summer due to Covid. Hansen center was shut down for that summer Those kids were thrown right into scout team for a scramble big ten season. So when they roll around the next year it’s their first install of offense or defense. Same as incoming class of the next year. I would expect some lag time. But I thought Elsbury looked good last night. Offense seemed to run the ball and Petrece had time. He was listed 1 in the spring and fall. I expect him to fill the guard or center spot. I believe he still has 4 years of eligibility

Nevada Grades according to Hawkeye Report:
Elsbury 75.3
Richmond 69
Plumb 64
Jones 59
Colby 56.3
Stephens 54
Dunker 51.8
My guess is he’s in the mix?

After reading Hawk Insider, it sounds like they kept Elsbury from starting because they needed a back up center. I get you need need quality backups, but that would be very frustrating to not get a starting spot because you don't have another center ready to go. Especially when you were there in the spring and going into fall camp. I felt when he was in, the offense took off and was able to run the ball and give Petrus time. I thought Iowa always said they play their best 5? He should be starting at left guard ahead of deJong from what I've seen so far. Feel bad for him if that's the case.

After reading Hawk Insider, it sounds like they kept Elsbury from starting because they needed a back up center. I get you need need quality backups, but that would be very frustrating to not get a starting spot because you don't have another center ready to go. Especially when you were there in the spring and going into fall camp. I felt when he was in, the offense took off and was able to run the ball and give Petrus time. I thought Iowa always said they play their best 5? He should be starting at left guard ahead of deJong from what I've seen so far. Feel bad for him if that's the case.
What exactly was said leading you to that conclusion?

Yeah the Hawk Central podcast with Leistikow and Kennington Smith they recapped this. It is a very odd explanation to me, and I am just assuming that it's not the real reason and the coaches don't want to share the real reason. The logic behind that explanation isn't really defensible from a logic standpoint.

I am not qualified to say who the best linemen on the team are. When Ellsbury is in the game, it seems to my untrained eye that he doesn't whiff on blocking people and when he makes contact with a guy he either moves the guy or at least doesn't get pushed back. Compared to what has been happening at guard, it would seem that is a good thing. The last 2 games, Ellsbury has been getting about 40% of the snaps at guard. We shall see what happens going forward.

Yeah the Hawk Central podcast with Leistikow and Kennington Smith they recapped this. It is a very odd explanation to me, and I am just assuming that it's not the real reason and the coaches don't want to share the real reason. The logic behind that explanation isn't really defensible from a logic standpoint.

I am not qualified to say who the best linemen on the team are. When Ellsbury is in the game, it seems to my untrained eye that he doesn't whiff on blocking people and when he makes contact with a guy he either moves the guy or at least doesn't get pushed back. Compared to what has been happening at guard, it would seem that is a good thing. The last 2 games, Ellsbury has been getting about 40% of the snaps at guard. We shall see what happens going forward.
All I would say is Center takes a bit more to learn and if he had to dedicate his time so we had a backup in case Jones went down then he didn't get reps at any other spot until he "learned" or felt comfortable. Can you imagine someone coming in cold trying to be at center without having practiced it quite a bit?

ADVERTISEMENT