ADVERTISEMENT

Embarrassing officials!

And overturned a textbook case of targeting. Defenseless player, tackler launched, and a helmet-to-helmet hit. That was exactly the kind of hit that causes concussions and that the rule was meant to prevent.

Not to mention rhe first down gift they gave NW in the first half. Knees down half yard short of the 50 yet they gave him the 49. His torso was vertical at the time.

Absolutely. There is no way that was a first down.
They had a CLEAR shot of his knee down and the ball well short or the line to gain . I couldn’t believe that call stood . Course looking back on that pathetic performance now I can

Reactions: hawkifann
One of the worst games I’ve seen. And yes, both ways.
There’s an argument that it cost North_estern more than Iowa. They were horrendous. So many calls already mentioned and from the North_estern side, what was that unsportsmanlike on Fitzgerald? The PI should not have been called because the pass was like 20 feet high, but it looked like all he did was bend down and toss his headset a bit. Kirk was way more demonstrative earlier after a crap call and didn’t get a flag.

Reactions: TC_Hawk
yeah, i know.

the problem? there is a shortage of officials and who do you turn to?
They need to go away from the part timers and have full time refs. Actually, it's something the NCAA needs to take over. Create professional referees for all games involving FBS teams. All Conferences pay in to support the program.

Reactions: chris314 and Hans81
There’s an argument that it cost North_estern more than Iowa. They were horrendous. So many calls already mentioned and from the North_estern side, what was that unsportsmanlike on Fitzgerald? The PI should not have been called because the pass was like 20 feet high, but it looked like all he did was bend down and toss his headset a bit. Kirk was way more demonstrative earlier after a crap call and didn’t get a flag.

Fitz said he went on the field and it was a good call. TV didn't show why they called it.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I’m sure Fitz did more than what BTN showed. Probably yelled something at the refs too. No way even this crew flags a coach for just bending over, making a face, and taking off his headset.

this was a very seasoned crew. They crapped the bed

its sad, isn't it, that (1) this is the best the B1G can find and (2) the B1G can't turn to a pool of better candidates for the job

fan bases have gone after officials/referees after games, threatening their lives and more. IIRC, after a Kentucky loss, the Kentucky fan base tried to destroy the reputation of an official's company by writing horrible reviews.

It's a job no one wants, and understandably so.

I’m an official. High school football, baseball and basketball here in NW Iowa. Football in general for my crew it’s a head scratcher. Every year we get a first round playoff game and last year I’m not counting the 3 we got because it equals the 1 we get every year. Anyway, I’ve been watching games on Fuller, NFHS and YouTube and am sickened by some of the mechanics I’ve watched from other crews specially the white hat. Watching back judges getting beat to the end zone and not hustling and cleaning up on plays near the sidelines. And we aren’t deserving of another round after watching this? We were evaluated last year by Tharp himself. Evaluated again this year. Our head linesman is fed up and told us he’s done after 24 years of officiating high school football and never getting at the very least a shot at a quarterfinal game. The thought has crossed my mind a time or two. I don’t need the extra money which isn’t much that darn bad. My wife and I are not only empty nesters but we also make good money with our jobs. A friend of mine officiates high school football and in the GPAC. He told me if he doesn’t at least get a shot at the MAC conference next year he’s done with college football. He spends quite a chunk of money going to camps and clinics which includes time away from his wife and kids. I guess what I’m trying to say is that there are officials out there that want the opportunity but the good ole boy system is too powerful. I will say that the fans/parents have improved their sportsmanship and recognize that there is an officials shortage. The last few years I’ve received way more, “thanks for taking your time to do what you do.”

Honestly, I don’t see the point of video reviews if that is the result and quality we get. On the bad spot that gave NW a first down, there was no part of the player that was more than a foot past the 50 when you could clearly see his knee down on the ground short of the 50 while his body was almost completely vertical. But they marked the ball about 6 inches short of the 49. Meaning they gave him at least a foot and a half past where his helmet was. Maybe you can’t give an exact position for the ball but you sure as heck can say that there was no way he made a first down.

I honestly think that reviews have made refs on the field worse. They have changed the way they call the game because they think that review will cover their butts when they get a call wrong. But then the review official won’t be able to overturn the wrong call on the field because they can’t, or won’t, see enough evidence in the video.

Case in point, the “fumble” that traveled almost 15 yards in the air with a near-perfect spiral in the 4th quarter. Yesterday the refs aren’t sure so they just let the game keep on going thinking replay will fix it if wrong. Luckily for us the review official got his head out of his rear end finally, but it was a complete waste of time. 20 years ago that is a simple incomplete pass call on the field and the game moves on.

Honestly, I don’t see the point of video reviews if that is the result and quality we get. On the bad spot that gave NW a first down, there was no part of the player that was more than a foot past the 50 when you could clearly see his knee down on the ground short of the 50 while his body was almost completely vertical. But they marked the ball about 6 inches short of the 49. Meaning they gave him at least a foot and a half past where his helmet was. Maybe you can’t give an exact position for the ball but you sure as heck can say that there was no way he made a first down.

I honestly think that reviews have made refs on the field worse. They have changed the way they call the game because they think that review will cover their butts when they get a call wrong. But then the review official won’t be able to overturn the wrong call on the field because they can’t, or won’t, see enough evidence in the video.

Case in point, the “fumble” that traveled almost 15 yards in the air with a near-perfect spiral in the 4th quarter. Yesterday the refs aren’t sure so they just let the game keep on going thinking replay will fix it if wrong. Luckily for us the review official got his head out of his rear end finally, but it was a complete waste of time. 20 years ago that is a simple incomplete pass call on the field and the game moves on.

I’m on the opposite 40 yard line and 40 rows deep (Iowa sideline/opposite side) and can see the ball bounce on the turf before it’s caught.

You’re telling me that these officials needed a replay official to make that call?

These guys today were an embarrassment to quality officials everywhere.

I demand that you ALL go to school and become an official/referee.

Thank you.
I see where you’re coming from, but there are certainly obvious differences between officiating crews. Last night’s crew made some baffling calls/non-calls.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Witvoet is a Replay Official now, FYI, which I think is interesting
Not surprised then that there are screw ups taking place. Even when they can look at the film over and over again.

Hence my original comment “Incompetent” is even more accurate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT