ADVERTISEMENT

Employee retaliation

HawkMachine

HR Heisman
Jul 6, 2020
IOWA
Work in a smallish office, about 10 of us. Had to let a lady go yesterday who is toxic to work with and is batchit crazy.

Last year there was an incident where she went crazy on us and threatened to kill herself. Should have been fired then but unfortantly wasn't.

She's had more outbursts/yelling with me and other employees since. No threats, but irrational/childish behavior that is completely unprofessional.

Yesterday she went into a slight rage over nothing where I thought she was going to attack me with her keyboard. Raised it completely over her head and slammed it down on her desk screaming. Was fired two hours later.

Letting her go was already in the works, but yesterday sped it up a week or so.

Here's the deal, she's highly unstable and irrational. She threatened to kill herself a year ago, so I'm somewhat concerned about her coming into the office for a little revenge.

She has no husband, no kids, and no friends. I think she's close to her parents which are an hour and a half away maybe.

Many will agree/disagree, but I came to work with my glock just in case. Way too crazy of a world right now!

What would you do? Thoughts?

Reactions: Mike Zierath
Work in a smallish office, about 10 of us. Had to let a lady go yesterday who is toxic to work with and is batchit crazy.

Last year there was an incident where she went crazy on us and threatened to kill herself. Should have been fired then but unfortantly wasn't.

She's had more outbursts/yelling with me and other employees since. No threats, but irrational/childish behavior that is completely unprofessional.

Yesterday she went into a slight rage over nothing where I thought she was going to attack me with her keyboard. Raised it completely over her head and slammed it down on her desk screaming. Was fired two hours later.

Here's the deal, she's highly unstable and irrational. She threatened to kill herself a year ago, so I'm somewhat concerned about her coming into the office for a little revenge.

She has no husband, no kids, and no friends. I think she's close to her parents which are an hour and a half away maybe.

Many will agree/disagree, but I came to work with my glock just in case. Way too crazy of a world right now!

PIIHB

My first job out of college we had this young guy fresh out of the marines that was pretty unstable. Sort of an incel before his time. Always making women uncomfortable, getting emotional when people didn't appreciate his advances, etc. Anyway, after a year or so they let him go. People joked about him coming back, but we were in the basement of a secured federal building so it wasn't very likely. However.....I was young and a bit of an ass. So that day I crept back into the back office and then popped up and yelled "boo!" and a few of the older lady managers just about pissed themselves.
Honestly it was a dick move and they should have written me up, but they liked me and laughed it off.
These days someone would probably shoot me. And I'd deserve it.

Since there's a 0% chance this story is real, I say you bring some hand grenades. You must always be willing to go one step further to out crazy the crazies.

Well, it's 100% the truth.

Also, there was another coworker that asked the same question I did, "Do you know if she has a gun?"

Another tidbit, we called the police and an officer came in to talk about things. Concerned not only for our safety, but hers as well.

He was very professional and thanked us for letting them know.

If this story is legit, I don't know the legality of this, but HR could check her personnel file and reach out to her parents and let them know of the situation. That, while the company had to let her go for professional reasons, they still care about her well-being and that it might be a good idea they reach out to her.

Do you not have security?

Also, there was another coworker that asked the same question I did, "Do you know if she has a gun?"

Another tidbit, we called the police and an officer came in to talk about things. Concerned not only for our safety, but hers as well.

Any chance you can lock down entry into the building, or are there other teams as well.

Be proactive and get to her first. Just tell yourself you saved lives.

Reactions: IACub
What pct of mass shoutings are done by women? He’s more likely to shoot himself on accident bringing it than her coming in and smoking everyone.
I don't know. Better safe than sorry. The Glock can't do him any good if it's at home. I assume you're not serious about the "shooting himself" part.

What pct of mass shoutings are done by women?

vivica-really.gif

Any chance you can lock down entry into the building, or are there other teams as well.

Be proactive and get to her first. Just tell yourself you saved lives.
Lock down the entry? Nope, clients come and go constantly.

What we are thinking is putting up somewhat of a barrier between the front where you enter and all of our offices. I had an old office (previous job) where we had like a half door that separated the offices from the front.

It won't keep somewhat out, but it would slow them down a bit and there's a back door we can use as an exit.

I’m a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment but open carry and taking a gun to work people are a little off mentally.
It's in my work bag. Most likely won't need it, BUT the world is way too f'd up now. You just never know.

IF this lady wanted revenge, everyone agreed that she would be after ME.

I don't know. Better safe than sorry. The Glock can't do him any good if it's at home. I assume you're not serious about the "shooting himself" part.
Obviously not joking. Statistically much greater chance.

I would quit and find an employer that offers any sort of Employee Assistance Program and/or mental health in the benefits package since it seems your current employer does not have much of anything.

Then, PIIHB of course.

Reactions: TylerJ76 and JMSBFD

Break into her house and take her guns away, then slash her tires, and cut her brake lines too.

Reactions: torbee
What does the employee handbook say about having a weapon on company property?
Would suck for the lady to come in and shoot up the place and shoot you and then you get fired for having a weapon on company property.

If the policy states a weapon is allowed in the company parking lot if your car is locked, make sure you keep your keys in your pocket and maybe wear running shoes. Dont want to have to run back to your desk for your car key and the right shoes will make it easier to bob and weave the shots as you are trying to get to your gun.

Godspeed

Before the bullets start flying.. in with the usual GOP "Ts and Ps". Oh, and the mental illness talking point.

Might make the 10 PM news.

Obviously not joking. Statistically much greater chance.
Sounds like a bunch of bullshit. If the OP is genuinely concerned that the ex employee might come back to kill him and you think he's in more danger of shooting himself so he should just leave his gun at home, then count me as someone who will never ask for your advice.

Reactions: seminoleed
How many doors do you have at the office?

Did she do good work? Someone I could hire and have her WFH? Desperate times...

• Haha
Reactions: NCHawk5
What does the employee handbook say about having a weapon on company property?
Would suck for the lady to come in and shoot up the place and shoot you and then you get fired for having a weapon on company property.

Good question that I've wondered myself but haven't gotten around to looking.

The majority owner is as far left as you can get so you better believe I haven't told her what I'm doing.

But I'm going to make damn sure I come home to my family after a day of work.

How many doors do you have at the office?

Did she do good work? Someone I could hire and have her WFH? Desperate times...

Two. A front and a back. Front is used 100% by clients and staff, kept open all day.

Back is never used and locked. My office is in the back so I'm like 5 feet from the door so that's good.

She's worked at this firm for 12 years. She did a ton of work and spent the most hours here as she didn't have a reason to go home. Wasn't very good with clients if you ask me and coworkers didn't care for her. One word, TOXIC.

Having a large amount of work on her plate was probably overwhelming at times but she did it to herself. We hired a new employee a month ago and tried to give some of "crazy's" work to her but she said no, didn't want to give it up. She ended up staying up almost the entire night doing it. Nobody told her to do that. Why do that to yourself?

She's going to get eaten up in a bigger company but have no clue where she will end up.

Last edited:
Sounds like a bunch of bullshit. If the OP is genuinely concerned that the ex employee might come back to kill him and you think he's in more danger of shooting himself so he should just leave his gun at home, then count me as someone who will never ask for your advice.
If I wanted you to take my advice, I would let you know. And you would take it while calling me sir.

I’m a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment but open carry and taking a gun to work people are a little off mentally.
During the farm crisis of the 1980's there were quit a few bankers that were shot and killed by desperate farmers who were losing their farms. I know people in the banking business and who worked for FHA who carried (some still do) because of the Farm Crisis.

People's memories are so short. Workplace violence has been going on forever. Nobody remembers the term "going postal"?

Which brings me to another thought. We don't hear about postal employees shooting the place up anymore. I think quite a few of these school, church, etc. shootings are copycat crimes. People who are so down and out know they can go out in a blaze of glory and be "remembered". I actually think the huge media spotlight on these events encourages future events. Puts a spotlight on schools and churches as targets.

ADVERTISEMENT