ADVERTISEMENT

Employee retaliation

If I wanted you to take my advice, I would let you know. And you would take it while calling me sir.
Let me know when you get back from fantasyland. Maybe we can chat. Or not. Not would probably be more productive.

Work in a smallish office, about 10 of us. Had to let a lady go yesterday who is toxic to work with and is batchit crazy.

Last year there was an incident where she went crazy on us and threatened to kill herself. Should have been fired then but unfortantly wasn't.

She's had more outbursts/yelling with me and other employees since. No threats, but irrational/childish behavior that is completely unprofessional.

Yesterday she went into a slight rage over nothing where I thought she was going to attack me with her keyboard. Raised it completely over her head and slammed it down on her desk screaming. Was fired two hours later.

Letting her go was already in the works, but yesterday sped it up a week or so.

Here's the deal, she's highly unstable and irrational. She threatened to kill herself a year ago, so I'm somewhat concerned about her coming into the office for a little revenge.

She has no husband, no kids, and no friends. I think she's close to her parents which are an hour and a half away maybe.

Many will agree/disagree, but I came to work with my glock just in case. Way too crazy of a world right now!

What would you do? Thoughts?
Notify law enforcement, for her protection and yours/your employees. You might even let them know you brought your glock because you're concerned.

Reactions: hawkcub
During the farm crisis of the 1980's there were quit a few bankers that were shot and killed by desperate farmers who were losing their farms. I know people in the banking business and who worked for FHA who carried (some still do) because of the Farm Crisis.

People's memories are so short. Workplace violence has been going on forever. Nobody remembers the term "going postal"?

Which brings me to another thought. We don't hear about postal employees shooting the place up anymore. I think quite a few of these school, church, etc. shootings are copycat crimes. People who are so down and out know they can go out in a blaze of glory and be "remembered". I actually think the huge media spotlight on these events encourages future events. Puts a spotlight on schools and churches as targets.
What banker in Iowa was killed outside of the Hills, IA incident? I was an FSA lender for a few years, well aware of that.

A few years ago, at my last gig, we had a staff that we had to let go. He was missing work for weird reasons "I was driving and ran over some sheeting and drug it under the car and it caused a lot of damage..." I get that it can happen, but it was getting kinda repetitive, and caused him to miss scheduled client meetings. After we let him go I was going through his work emails making sure there weren't any outstanding tasks/deliverables/follow up that would need to be addressed and I found emails about him having been arrested in DC for assault and, if I remember correctly, it wasn't his first time. I let HR and out office manager know and they added a lot more security cameras, brought in an on-site security guard for a while, and put out quite a few "awareness" communications. Nothing ended up happening, but we were all glad they took it as seriously as they did.

Reactions: dandh
Work in a smallish office, about 10 of us. Had to let a lady go yesterday who is toxic to work with and is batchit crazy.

Last year there was an incident where she went crazy on us and threatened to kill herself. Should have been fired then but unfortantly wasn't.

She's had more outbursts/yelling with me and other employees since. No threats, but irrational/childish behavior that is completely unprofessional.

Yesterday she went into a slight rage over nothing where I thought she was going to attack me with her keyboard. Raised it completely over her head and slammed it down on her desk screaming. Was fired two hours later.

Here's the deal, she's highly unstable and irrational. She threatened to kill herself a year ago, so I'm somewhat concerned about her coming into the office for a little revenge.

She has no husband, no kids, and no friends. I think she's close to her parents which are an hour and a half away maybe.

Many will agree/disagree, but I came to work with my glock just in case. Way too crazy of a world right now!

Sounds like things are not all peachy at Brandon 2024 Re-election headquarters.

What banker in Iowa was killed outside of the Hills, IA incident? I was an FSA lender for a few years, well aware of that.
There was the murders and suicide in Lone Tree and there was a couple bankers murdered in Ruthton, MN. I'm thinking there were more too. Or maybe those were so publicized that I remember it as murders everywhere.

I just remember the stories some of the older ag bankers would tell and how the spectre of that period in time was still present in loan committee meetings 20 some years later in the 2000's. Those older bankers were convinced daily that the bottom was going to fall out of land values. They've done nothing but kept going up since.

What is work if you can’t bash things with your keyboard and throw temper tantrums?
giphy-6.gif

Last edited:
Just make sure your building has one point of entry and your doors lock from the inside. Should be fine I'm told.

Reactions: sob5
There was the murders and suicide in Lone Tree and there was a couple bankers murdered in Ruthton, MN. I'm thinking there were more too. Or maybe those were so publicized that I remember it as murders everywhere.

I just remember the stories some of the older ag bankers would tell and how the spectre of that period in time was still present in loan committee meetings 20 some years later in the 2000's. Those older bankers were convinced daily that the bottom was going to fall out of land values. They've done nothing but kept going up since.

I’ve reviewed some of those old loans. In hindsight, poor banking practices were a major contributor to the farm crisis. These days more weight is given to cash flow generated than collateral values.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Well, I saw her yesterday. We happened to meet on the street driving in opposite directions.

She pulled into the hospital. I’m assuming to get some help mentally.

If this story is legit, I don't know the legality of this, but HR could check her personnel file and reach out to her parents and let them know of the situation. That, while the company had to let her go for professional reasons, they still care about her well-being and that it might be a good idea they reach out to her.
That sounds reasonable, but I don't think it's legal. The former employee would have grounds for a lawsuit IMO (I'm not an attorney).

I think I would strongly consider posting a guard at the office for a couple of weeks.

Ugly, unfortunate problem.

I wonder when reading about situations like this what would happen in the event that the now former employee had been seeking professional help for mental illness, had a diagnosed mental disability, and had asked for an accomodation from the employer. If reasonably-accommodated, would the employer have to tolerate the ramifications of her mental illness?

Another tidbit, we called the police and an officer came in to talk about things. Concerned not only for our safety, but hers as well.

He was very professional and thanked us for letting them know.
LOL. Okay buddy.

Curious what planet you live on where police departments have the time and availability to dispatch officers over to a company's morning coffee meeting to play grabass and discuss the general health of your current working environment.

I work in a courthouse, a frequent target. A year or so ago a guy threatened a judge on social media. He was stopped by law enforcement later that day en route to the courthouse with several weapons.

i got permission and have carried at work ever since.

LOL. Okay buddy.

Curious what planet you live on where police departments have the time and availability to dispatch officers over to a company's morning coffee meeting to play grabass and discuss the general health of your current working environment.
You are clueless.

It wasn’t just to protect us but also herself.

She was suicidal just a year ago and being terminated would only make it worse. Ever heard of a wellness check from the police?

It’s called being proactive. How many of these recent events could have been either stopped or less damage caused with some proactive steps taken.

Once again, clueless.

Reactions: Mike Zierath
You are clueless.

It wasn’t just to protect us but also herself.

She was suicidal just a year ago and being terminated would only make it worse. Ever heard of a wellness check from the police?

It’s called being proactive. How many of these recent events could have been either stopped or less damage caused with some proactive steps taken.

Once again, clueless.
🤡. Stay out of peoples lives. Sending cops for a wellness check after firing her? You trying to get sued?

John Hughes the bank president and a friend of mine. He also killed his wife, ( first ) and another farmer who he thought had wronged him on a farm rental deal, before he killed himself. His gun jammed or he would have killed the VP as well...

Reactions: Pinehawk

I would post pics of this single cray-cray lady.

ADVERTISEMENT