ADVERTISEMENT

Employment for 15 yo

eightno2002

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2003
What jobs are out there for 15 year olds? Seems like 16 is the threshold for many employers.

What jobs are out there for 15 year olds? Seems like 16 is the threshold for many employers.

I'm in the same boat. Would like something other than restaurants and grocery stores, but that's about it until later this spring for him.

Have they been involved in youth sports? Both of my sons started refereeing soccer games at that age (usually working as a sideline judge in rec league games), and one also worked some in the concession stand for the local little league

I've also had both boys do some computer data entry for the office (simple, repetitive things that somebody would have to key in manually); before my sons, we've had children of a few of our staff do it.

What's the age of consent in Iowa?

giphy.gif

Do fast food joints not still hire kids? Back in the 90's they struggled to find enough kids to work.

So don't rely on just your regular employers. Do you live in a neighborhood or have a network of friends that may need services: such as dog walking, baby sitting, yard or house work? Or if smart, perhaps tutoring or maybe even teach older or non techie types how to use certain things on their mobile devices or computers.

I'm in the same boat. Would like something other than restaurants and grocery stores, but that's about it until later this spring for him.

why shelter a 15-16 year old from working in a grocery store or restaurant? Do you feel your kid is too good to work in a job like that?
i washed dishes in a small town restuarant in high school, and washed dishes when i moved to CR for three months. It sucked, but my parents would never shield me from that.

So don't rely on just your regular employers. Do you live in a neighborhood or have a network of friends that may need services: such as dog walking, baby sitting, yard or house work? Or if smart, perhaps tutoring or maybe even teach older or non techie types how to use certain things on their mobile devices or computers.

All great ideas. Our oldest is someone that need direction, she’s smart and sweet but she’s not one to initiate a conversation and ask for work. So I’m thinking a job with a tight job description that she can do exactly what she’s told. She’ll detassle in the summer and has applied at hurts donut but no callback yet.

why shelter a 15-16 year old from working in a grocery store or restaurant? Do you feel your kid is too good to work in a job like that?
i washed dishes in a small town restuarant in high school, and washed dishes when i moved to CR for three months. It sucked, but my parents would never shield me from that.

No we're not. I'm ok with him working in those places. He's applying for those jobs. Just saying that in a few months there will be other jobs he can apply for as well in addition to those. Not much difference in a kid's maturity and aptitude between 15 1/2 and 16.

You are definitely not supposed to boil the baby's bath water. Some things, you learn the hard way.

sorry, i mean she has had to ask me how to boil water to make Mac and cheese. It’s crazy, she’s 4.0 student and Very pleasant but she lacks confidence and ambition. She wants to attend a college as far away from home as possible but when I encourage her to try new things she declines. She’s one of those kids that responds far better to coaches and teachers instruction than mom and dads.

I started stocking shelves at Hy-Vee at 14. Was small town so the truck mornings were opposite of football weightlifting.

I started stocking shelves at Hy-Vee at 14. Was small town so the truck mornings were opposite of football weightlifting.

14 is minimum but looks like many stores require 16. I’m checking w their hr.

Plenty of people have discussed locations to work, of which most were useful.

I also STRONGLY encourage you to open a custodial Roth IRA for your kid, in which she could begin saving/investing for retirement. Potentially you could match or contribute as well (depending on your situation). It's a great vehicle to start that habit early and help with that down-payment on a house.

Why are you checking? Shouldn't that be the job of your child? Make them do the leg work.

I am trying to balance that. Definitely am not going to submit or fill out applications but also want to give her some ideas of where she can apply.

I am trying to balance that. Definitely am not going to submit or fill out applications but also want to give her some ideas of where she can apply.

The HyVee manager told me that they won’t even allow a 15 year old to run a vacuum hence they don’t hire anyone not 16 or older. He was turned away at a local car dealership too....not old enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT