ADVERTISEMENT

Employment for 15 yo

Throwing square bales. Hated it at the time but now like the fact I can brag about how when I was 15 I threw square bales.

If you aren't baling by 12 or 13 there is nothing to brag about. I used to stack wagons straight off the baler at 12.

Reactions: Hammer93
Plenty of people have discussed locations to work, of which most were useful.

I also STRONGLY encourage you to open a custodial Roth IRA for your kid, in which she could begin saving/investing for retirement. Potentially you could match or contribute as well (depending on your situation). It's a great vehicle to start that habit early and help with that down-payment on a house.

many Don’t know this little tidbit. Imagine compounding growth tax free as a tween.

Reactions: orod741 and Monzon
Plus 15 year olds can only work so many hours. They are just not worth the hassle

I have been reading through the child labor laws in Iowa. I don’t know if I could legally hire my own son until he’s 18, at least in my line of work.

Reactions: bdg8
I thought children of owners were exempt . Or maybe I was told wrong

That’s what I was trying to unearth but I couldn’t find anything on the website. I will have to call them which sounds like an absolute blast.

That’s what I was trying to unearth but I couldn’t find anything on the website. I will have to call them which sounds like an absolute blast.
They have all these rules but they try to hide them . The state labor people are glorified shake down artists.

they have no desire to educate and inform. Just fine

They have all these rules but they try to hide them . The state labor people are glorified shake down artists.

they have no desire to educate and inform. Just fine

Tbh, they would never know (unless there was an accident). I’m not saying that is the route I would take, but it seems pretty silly that I couldn’t hire my own son to carry rolls of sod.

I started at a restaurant at 15 and worked there through college breaks my sophomore year before it closed. I had an awesome time, met so many people and learned a lot about prioritizing and working with a bunch of different people. Some high school buddies of mine worked at Fareway and really liked that also.

Might as well get her started in politics now instead of waiting, so that way there's less likely a chance that more than half the political factions of HROT complains about her non-stop.

Always be thinking about the future.....

One of my kids used to work at a cookie store after school for 3 hours baking cookies at 15. There were other kids there doing decorating of BIG Cookies and smaller cookies. Just an idea if there are those types of places where you live.

The HyVee manager told me that they won’t even allow a 15 year old to run a vacuum hence they don’t hire anyone not 16 or older. He was turned away at a local car dealership too....not old enough.

This was our experience w/ HyVee too. Too many rules and regulations to hire someone under 16. A vacuum cleaner is considered machinery and those under 16 not allowed to legally operate one. It's just not worth the headache.

Reactions: jellyfish10
The HyVee manager told me that they won’t even allow a 15 year old to run a vacuum hence they don’t hire anyone not 16 or older. He was turned away at a local car dealership too....not old enough.
My son was a referee as well for soccer. Made good money. But gotta be into soccer and take the 2 day class.

Hostess at a restaurant is another option. Good way to learn the restaurant business and be ready to wait tables when she is old enough and then make good money.

Reactions: eightno2002
Hostess at a restaurant is another option. Good way to learn the restaurant business and be ready to wait tables when she is old enough and then make good money.
Nope, this is a terrible idea. A restaurant environment is no place for a child. It is a cesspool of addiction and casual sex. You don't want your teenager involved. That's what their 20s are for.

Reactions: hawkedoff
More information please. My Google is obviously broken and I am curious. What can the IRA be used for?

kids can’t have a traditional brokerage account but they can have a custodial account like a Roth. So long as they have earned income they can make Roth contributions just like an adult.

Delivered news papers starting at 10, then at 14 began going on service calls with a foreman who built hog confinements, which eventually lead to me being on his crew through college. I would work somedays after school and every early out (in junior high), and on Saturdays. I also picked up hours at the local grocery store and pizza joint during the winter in high school. I washed hog barns nearly every weekend too. Played 3-4 sports, so I was busy.

Kids in my neighborhood use apps like Nextdoor and FB to offer up their services, lawn care, babysitting, petsitting, housesitting, etc.

Plenty of people have discussed locations to work, of which most were useful.

I also STRONGLY encourage you to open a custodial Roth IRA for your kid, in which she could begin saving/investing for retirement. Potentially you could match or contribute as well (depending on your situation). It's a great vehicle to start that habit early and help with that down-payment on a house.
I would argue a good habit would be never to touch it til it matures. You can pay the tail end of a mortgage during retirement more cost effectively than taking away compound interest opportunity to avoid pmi.

ADVERTISEMENT