ADVERTISEMENT

End of a college football era, and good riddance

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002

End of a college football era, and good riddance​

One by one, college football’s old ways are fading into history. Good riddance.

It took only 155 years, but college football at last has a true, full-field, full-representation playoff to determine a champion. To get there, we’ll sacrifice some tradition, but we’ll get rid of a lot more “that’s the way we’ve always done it” customs that long ago faded into irrelevance.

There’s a difference between tradition and custom. In college football, tradition is marching bands, Saturdays at the alma mater, the rivalry game that determines how the next year will go. Customs are voting for a champion and claiming that’s good for interest in the sport, or boxing teams into paying for expensive and irrelevant bowls, or declining to pay players even as coaches earn millions and schools and conferences earn billions. Traditions warm the heart. Customs enrage the mind.

Sometimes, what starts out as fond tradition curdles into why-is-this-still-here custom. Case in point: the Rose Bowl. The Granddaddy of Them All has spent most of the past century as the centerpiece of college football’s marquee day: New Year’s Day, specifically the timeslot that allows the sun to set on the San Gabriel Mountains at the end of the third quarter. It’s beautiful, it’s magnificent, it’s inspiring … and it’s been a stubborn, infuriating roadblock to playoff expansion for years.

Finally, the powers that be in college football got up the collective huevos to tell the Rose Bowl to get with the program or get left out, and at last, the Rose Bowl knuckled under. As a result, the expanded, 12-team college football playoff will start two years earlier than projected. (Not coincidentally, this will earn all parties involved an additional $450 million in revenue; sunsets are nice, but cash is better.)

What does this mean? Well, we won’t see that lovely sunset every New Year’s Day. What we will see is an expanded playoff, an opportunity for the Tennessees and Penn States and Utahs and maybe even Tulanes and UCFs to reach the postseason. We’ll see the birth of a new tradition — playoff games on campus, for at least one round — and the end of bowl games holding power over an entire sport. We’ll see teams that deserve wider recognition get their shot at the spotlight, and we’ll see upstarts knock off blue bloods. We’ll see talent diversify across the nation, rather than concentrate in a few schools, as more paths to the postseason open up. It has taken way too long, but we’re here. We made it.

Times change, and not even college football could stay stuck in the 1950s forever. That’s the way of the world, adapt or die. Teams know it, and finally the entire sport figured it out.

Nobody better mess with the marching bands, though. Then there’ll be trouble.

72edb2816e66ce4322e59818cacfd23f.jpg

Agreed

It should be like basketball, every Conf champ gets auto big with the rest by committee.

16 teams minimum

If they auto bid every conference champ, I'd go 24 teams with the rest at large.

Reactions: hawkcub
Don't most college football teams already play for a championship in a playoff? We're just talking FBS here right?

Yes, FCS has a 24 team playoff from 130 total teams, D2 169 teams/28 team playoff, D3 250 teams/32 team playoff.

Why is it so important to have a champion?

Because every other sport in every level of college, including NAIA and NJCAA plays for a title. All of them, except NCAA FBS uses a championship format that provides a chance to every school, regardless of conference.

In FBS, before the season even starts, well over half the teams are effectively eliminated purely because they don't play in the "right" conference.

It's the dismal tide.
It's NFL- lite.
Scratch the bowls...you make the top 16 or your season end in November.
Full circle back to one postseason game for the Big Ten like in the 60's. That's progress.

Reactions: hawkcub and ICHerky
It's the dismal tide.
It's NFL- lite.
Scratch the bowls...you make the top 16 or your season end in November.
Full circle back to one postseason game for the Big Ten like in the 60's. That's progress.
**** that! Lol I want as much football as possible. I love watching a couple 6-6 teams fight for a chance to be a bowl champion.

I care less about college football because of how it has been heading lately.

Part of what I loved about college football is that these are everyday kids who go to school and have the same struggles as the average student. They shared the same dorms and went to the same classes.

The more it becomes a business the less enjoyable it is for me. I dont like that the kids get paid and I don't like that their is the nli. In my mind this takes away the amateur part, and now they are just paid semi pro players.

I don't want to follow a semipro team who isn't as good as the real professionals.

Reactions: fehfkf
The playoff has been in the works for a very, very long time. The BCS (remember that?) was the first stepping stone. It was designed to gradually erode the stranglehold the traditional bowls had on college football. And it worked. No longer was it the dream of every Big Ten and Pac Ten school to play in the Rose Bowl. That was replaced with getting to a BCS game, no matter which one.
The next stone was the 4 team playoff. It was designed to get people comfortable with having college kids play 15 or 16 games. No one seems to talk about that anymore, do they?
And we are now standing in front of the next stone, which is the expanded playoff. The vast amounts of money that the conferences and the universities are poised to start raking in is staggering.

It's closer but it still could be better. No team should have a by in the playoffs. You're still rewarding teams because of the "eye test". That shouldn't happen.
The byes will go to the four highest rated conference champions.

Rose Bowl didn't have much of a choice with what is happening with their two conferences.

I still say 16 teams is ideal, that way every conference champion is guaranteed a spot and every team has a true opportunity to earn their way into the playoffs without needing the good graces of a committee to do it. But, I can live with this. At least one non P5 team will get to be included and in wild and crazy years, maybe even 2 teams! (although that is extremely unlikely)

At any rate, the bowl games died over a decade ago when players quit playing in them to get ready for the NFL. If the players can't take them seriously, then nobody else can either. They can go back to tourist attractions designed to get people to visit vacation spots over the holidays. Although, it will be tough to even do that if people know the team they saw play all fall won't be the one playing in the bowl. With NIL now, the team pretty much breaks up the day after the season ends.

Reactions: mattymoknows
I'm just glad the ACC is done with their division set up. Now losing to Clemson doesn't automatically keep us from playing for the title. Tired of the top 3 teams being in the Atlantic while the best of the worst in the Coastal play for an unearned spot in the title game.

Reactions: mnole03
I found the traditional Bowl season very entertaining and satisfying. Lots of good TV between, say, Dec 30 and Jan 5-6. Quantity and quality.
I'm not sure the playoffs will be as fun for me.
I agree with the posters who ask "why do we need it?"
The system of mythical (voted upon) champions had some charm.

Exactly. Why is any team getting to play one less game? Not to mention it's decided by a popularity contest.
All four teams with a first round bye will have already played and won a 13th game by earning their conference championship. Most of the other 8 teams will have only played 12 games.

Want a first round bye? Win your conference championship.

Reactions: cfbfan23
I found the traditional Bowl season very entertaining and satisfying. Lots of good TV between, say, Dec 30 and Jan 5-6. Quantity and quality.
I'm not sure the playoffs will be as fun for me.
I agree with the posters who ask "why do we need it?"
The system of mythical (voted upon) champions had some charm.

This.

The split-title years were especially fun.

All four teams with a first round bye will have already played and won a 13th game by earning their conference championship. Most of the other 8 teams will have only played 12 games.

Want a first round bye? Win your conference championship.
That's one way to look at it, but now would Tcu still get a bye?

That's one way to look at it, but now would Tcu still get a bye?
TCU didn’t win their conference championsip, so no. They would get in as an at-large team. Kansas State and/or Utah would get a bye. TCU would likely get a home game in the first round, but not a bye.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Won't the 12 teams still be chosen by vote of a select few on a commit

End of a college football era, and good riddance​

One by one, college football’s old ways are fading into history. Good riddance.

It took only 155 years, but college football at last has a true, full-field, full-representation playoff to determine a champion. To get there, we’ll sacrifice some tradition, but we’ll get rid of a lot more “that’s the way we’ve always done it” customs that long ago faded into irrelevance.

There’s a difference between tradition and custom. In college football, tradition is marching bands, Saturdays at the alma mater, the rivalry game that determines how the next year will go. Customs are voting for a champion and claiming that’s good for interest in the sport, or boxing teams into paying for expensive and irrelevant bowls, or declining to pay players even as coaches earn millions and schools and conferences earn billions. Traditions warm the heart. Customs enrage the mind.

Sometimes, what starts out as fond tradition curdles into why-is-this-still-here custom. Case in point: the Rose Bowl. The Granddaddy of Them All has spent most of the past century as the centerpiece of college football’s marquee day: New Year’s Day, specifically the timeslot that allows the sun to set on the San Gabriel Mountains at the end of the third quarter. It’s beautiful, it’s magnificent, it’s inspiring … and it’s been a stubborn, infuriating roadblock to playoff expansion for years.

Finally, the powers that be in college football got up the collective huevos to tell the Rose Bowl to get with the program or get left out, and at last, the Rose Bowl knuckled under. As a result, the expanded, 12-team college football playoff will start two years earlier than projected. (Not coincidentally, this will earn all parties involved an additional $450 million in revenue; sunsets are nice, but cash is better.)

What does this mean? Well, we won’t see that lovely sunset every New Year’s Day. What we will see is an expanded playoff, an opportunity for the Tennessees and Penn States and Utahs and maybe even Tulanes and UCFs to reach the postseason. We’ll see the birth of a new tradition — playoff games on campus, for at least one round — and the end of bowl games holding power over an entire sport. We’ll see teams that deserve wider recognition get their shot at the spotlight, and we’ll see upstarts knock off blue bloods. We’ll see talent diversify across the nation, rather than concentrate in a few schools, as more paths to the postseason open up. It has taken way too long, but we’re here. We made it.

Times change, and not even college football could stay stuck in the 1950s forever. That’s the way of the world, adapt or die. Teams know it, and finally the entire sport figured it out.

Nobody better mess with the marching bands, though. Then there’ll be trouble.

72edb2816e66ce4322e59818cacfd23f.jpg
I think the marching band members should get paid.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Are all the conferences going to eliminate divisions and/or have top 2 ranked teams play for the conference championship? If so, this will be much better.

Minor complaint. I also do not like that the top 4 ranked conference champs get a bye. Why not the top 4 ranked teams period? The committee can take into consideration the conference championship in ranking the top 4.

Yes. Expand the playoffs and get rid of the stupid meaningless exhibition bowl games.

Agreed

It should be like basketball, every Conf champ gets auto big with the rest by committee.

16 teams minimum
This seems a no brainer, because it keeps everyone in the fight. It increases the relevance of the regular season because each league matters, and scheduling real competition outside your league doesn't hurt you if you win your conference, and it helps you if you don't win your conference and you're trying to impress the committee.

Reactions: QChawks and ping72
Rose Bowl didn't have much of a choice with what is happening with their two conferences.
They thought they had leverage and CFP let them know they would move on without them in 2026 if they didn’t get in line now. We’ll see if they try again to force themselves into prominence in the cfp for the next contract.

Why is it so important to have a champion?
Mr. Contrarian is now becoming a caricature. You've gone from saying you think white guys make better cornerbacks to asking why there needs to be a champion.

Why even play the game? We're all gonna die, there's no reason for sports!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT