ADVERTISEMENT

Enough with ISU's 99 yard drive; teams string together good plays

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Soooo many posters here keep bringing this up. I did right after the game as it was depressing. But football like most sports is a game of averages. You play much of the game and you drop passes, miss passes, miss tackles, etc then all of a sudden you make four or five plays in one drive and you score.

How does a team make a long drive with a lot of plays. First off Iowa's defense snuffed a lot of their plays but ISU probably had to make about 4 or 5 third downs and I cant remember if they made any 4th downs on that drive. Norm and Phil Parker's philosophy is to stop every inch and make them snap the ball a lot as they will screw up eventually. It didnt happen that drive, the only TD of the game for them.

But they were in 4 down mode late in the game, a lot of teams become much more dangerous when they go into 4 down mode. Just ask Kirk about some of the comebacks by his team and against his team by let's say several times by jNW late in games (Thorson still pisses me off as does 2005 in Evanston).

Once in awhile the other team strings together enough good plays to move the chains, etc etc,

I dont hear anyone on this board still being amazed that the hawks could drive it on MSU with a minute to go in 2009 after not scoring even one TD up to that point. That 2009 team had playmakers and moxie if that is what you want to call it.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Soooo many posters here keep bringing this up. I did right after the game as it was depressing. But football like most sports is a game of averages. You play much of the game and you drop passes, miss passes, miss tackles, etc then all of a sudden you make four or five plays in one drive and you score.

How does a team make a long drive with a lot of plays. First off Iowa's defense snuffed a lot of their plays but ISU probably had to make about 4 or 5 third downs and I cant remember if they made any 4th downs on that drive. Norm and Phil Parker's philosophy is to stop every inch and make them snap the ball a lot as they will screw up eventually. It didnt happen that drive, the only TD of the game for them.

But they were in 4 down mode late in the game, a lot of teams become much more dangerous when they go into 4 down mode. Just ask Kirk about some of the comebacks by his team and against his team by let's say several times by jNW late in games (Thorson still pisses me off as does 2005 in Evanston).

Once in awhile the other team strings together enough good plays to move the chains, etc etc,

I dont hear anyone on this board still being amazed that the hawks could drive it on MSU with a minute to go in 2009 after not scoring even one TD up to that point. That 2009 team had playmakers and moxie if that is what you want to call it.
Don't care about one drive. Iowa's defense scores/sets up more scores than they allow. Wisconsin had what amounted to one successful play the entire game. ISU scored one touchdown. Illinois scored zero touchdowns. The fact of the matter is that the Iowa defense has to play a perfect game with virtually no mistakes for Iowa to win games. It's just not realistic to expect that it's going to happen every time out no matter how dominant they are.

Reactions: uihawk82

It’s ok dude, it happened. It’s not a slight on my character, your character or even Iowas.

You are also right, it doesn’t mean much, other than it’s a team game and we all have moments. Good and bad!!

It’s ok dude, it happened. It’s not a slight on my character, your character or even Iowas.

You are also right, it doesn’t mean much, other than it’s a team game and we all have moments. Good and bad!!

Well, the thing is posters on this forum bring it up with a hint of distain that the hawk defense could let this happen and it was a huge reason they lost to ISU. Geez, that is so off base. Any hint of an offense and Iowa beats ISU 27 to 3.

Well, the thing is posters on this forum bring it up with a hint of distain that the hawk defense could let this happen and it was a huge reason they lost to ISU. Geez, that is so off base. Any hint of an offense and Iowa beats ISU 27 to 3.

Agreed but, it all still counts! Iowa isn’t the only team winning and losing games. More than anything fans need back the hell up and relax!

Illinois was more of the same, missed FGs, turnovers in downs…gross! But now they’ve lost to a BAD, Indiana, a very average MSU and PU, a team we smacked!

it is what it is!

Correct. In that particular ISU game, it's been beaten to death but if Pottebaum doesn't fumble as he's going in that game is over. It gives Iowa a 2-score lead and the way that game was going it was done. But he did fumble and the game went how it went. When you play the close games on the high wire, you will lose some.

Difference between ISU/Illinois and the Wisconsin game is that Iowa cashed in the red zone opportunities set up by special teams/defense against the Badgers.

Correct. In that particular ISU game, it's been beaten to death but if Pottebaum doesn't fumble as he's going in that game is over. It gives Iowa a 2-score lead and the way that game was going it was done. But he did fumble and the game went how it went. When you play the close games on the high wire, you will lose some.

Difference between ISU/Illinois and the Wisconsin game is that Iowa cashed in the red zone opportunities set up by special teams/defense against the Badgers.

exactly… And as bad as the offenses is they still deserve some credit for that!

And the playmakers were not utilized.

ADVERTISEMENT