ADVERTISEMENT

**** EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga 2020-21 Thread ****

Steffen - Man City
Pulisic - Chelsea
Reyna - Dortmund
Adams - Leipzig
McKennie -Juventus

and now Dest - Barca

Exciting time to be a USMNT soccer fan. Can't wait to see them all on the same pitch together!

Yes, but is Greg Berhalter the man to get the mix right????

Yes, but is Greg Berhalter the man to get the mix right????

Hope so. Between when he took the team over, injuries and now Covid, he hasn't had much of a chance to have the true #1 squad all together. Been awhile since Pulisic, Weston and Tyler Adams were all on the pitch together for instance.

I'm very curious what happens with the Gold Cup next summer, with WC qualifying going on throughout the year. Kinda think myself that it's more likely we see the B squad for Gold Cup - but should be prime opportunity for guys like Reyna to make an impact.

Hope so. Between when he took the team over, injuries and now Covid, he hasn't had much of a chance to have the true #1 squad all together. Been awhile since Pulisic, Weston and Tyler Adams were all on the pitch together for instance.

I'm very curious what happens with the Gold Cup next summer, with WC qualifying going on throughout the year. Kinda think myself that it's more likely we see the B squad for Gold Cup - but should be prime opportunity for guys like Reyna to make an impact.

At some point you need to develop some chemistry with your first team. One would think.

Reactions: sober_teacher
At some point you need to develop some chemistry with your first team. One would think.

Agreed, just pointing out that circumstances have made that difficult. Also a reflection of the year with the interim coach where they just turning over the lineup every month to give new players CAPS. Good for exposure for them, but they wasted a valuable year that could have been used towards developing that chemistry as well.

A clean sheet for Steffan yesterday against Burnley. Hard to know much about his overall performance given Man City had a largely first team run out, but it was, oddly, City's first shutout of the season. I think there's been little to doubt there's a growing trust in Steffan as the solid #2 and that there's probably going to be a growing pressure on him pushing Ederson for more starts, especially as there will be mid week UCL fixtures pretty much every week.

Everyone in CONCACAF is in the same boat. GC 2021 will definitely be a B team/MLS-heavy run out. There's already 4 WCQ and the Nations League finals for 6 matches in June going into July of 2021. They'll get a lot more out of a few weeks off and preseason training with their clubs than they'll get from an expanded/watered-down Gold Cup. But now without the CC any longer, the GC is pretty much just a Mickey Mouse Cup. So is the Nations League, but given that they haven't played competitive matches in 18 months, and the fact that they'll be tune-up matches prior to the 4 June WCQ matches, that will be taken more seriously than it probably otherwise would.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Some teams to watch in the Champions League this season...

That paints a picture that is kind of false. Look up Konrad de La Fuente for example and you will find he is with Barcelona, but he plays for their B-team. Their B team plays in the 3rd tier of the Spanish soccer pyramid.

Dest is with the first team but doesn't have a single appearance credited to him.

How many of these guys are starters in an major cup tourny when healthy? I know Pulisic is. . . I am getting the impression that Reyna is. I think Horvath is.

That paints a picture that is kind of false. Look up Konrad de La Fuente for example and you will find he is with Barcelona, but he plays for their B-team. Their B team plays in the 3rd tier of the Spanish soccer pyramid.

Dest is with the first team but doesn't have a single appearance credited to him.

How many of these guys are starters in an major cup tourny when healthy? I know Pulisic is. . . I am getting the impression that Reyna is. I think Horvath is.

Dest just arrived at Barcelona this week so that's why he doesn't have any appearances yet. Hopefully he gets his opportunity there.

I love that so many Americans are getting signed by big Euro clubs, now it's a matter of getting on the pitch. Historically they don't have the best track record in that regard - though we certainly have a very talented bunch currently.

Dest had his first training session today. I don't know what plans are this season for Konrad de la Fuente but he has been training with the first team and came on as a sub in a friendly a couple weeks ago.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Dest just arrived at Barcelona this week so that's why he doesn't have any appearances yet. Hopefully he gets his opportunity there.

I love that so many Americans are getting signed by big Euro clubs, now it's a matter of getting on the pitch. Historically they don't have the best track record in that regard - though we certainly have a very talented bunch currently.

They are certainly doing better about getting on the pitch. But there is quite a few that don't see the pitch.

Matt Miazga (Surprised they didn't list him) has national team caps, is currently under contract with Chelsea but he doesn't even ride the pine. He's not even good enough to suit up for Chelsea and sit on the bench. He played 2 years on loan to a 2nd division team in England (Reading) but right now hasn't been loaned out yet or sold.

Everton off to a hot start. Clearly management made a difference for them. Watching them vs Brighton.

Everyone in CONCACAF is in the same boat. GC 2021 will definitely be a B team/MLS-heavy run out. There's already 4 WCQ and the Nations League finals for 6 matches in June going into July of 2021. They'll get a lot more out of a few weeks off and preseason training with their clubs than they'll get from an expanded/watered-down Gold Cup. But now without the CC any longer, the GC is pretty much just a Mickey Mouse Cup. So is the Nations League, but given that they haven't played competitive matches in 18 months, and the fact that they'll be tune-up matches prior to the 4 June WCQ matches, that will be taken more seriously than it probably otherwise would.
The Olympics is also in the summer and prior to COVID the US seemed pretty interested in this competition.

They are certainly doing better about getting on the pitch. But there is quite a few that don't see the pitch.

Matt Miazga (Surprised they didn't list him) has national team caps, is currently under contract with Chelsea but he doesn't even ride the pine. He's not even good enough to suit up for Chelsea and sit on the bench. He played 2 years on loan to a 2nd division team in England (Reading) but right now hasn't been loaned out yet or sold.

I was wondering what was up with him. I hope he can find somewhere to play soon.

Totally understand what you guys are all saying about building the team and figuring out how to play together. I really believe that the young group overseas has top be the focal point moving forward.

Gk1- Steffen
Gk2- Horvath
CB- Brooks
LB- Dest
RB/CDM- Adams
CDM- McKinnie
CAM/F- Reyna
CAM/F- Pulisic
F- Sargent

There is a plethora of guys to throw in with these guys (Long, Richards at D, Roldan as a CDM, Morris out wide) but those guys need to be the focal point moving forward. Berlhalter, I hope, realizes this.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaxhawk06
What's the outlook on Weah with Lille? It doesn't look like he's gotten any appearances yet. Thought he was gonna be a stud

I almost forgot about Ethan Horvath. Emerson made a couple good saves before making another huge error handing Leeds the decisive equalizer. The calls to bench him are going to grow louder. Dropping points @ Leeds is not acceptable.

Okay, I enjoy watching this embarassing performance but Lamela is a total punk and that crap has to be out of the game. Wish Martial would have earned that red and punched him harder.

I was wondering what was up with him. I hope he can find somewhere to play soon.

He's part of Chelsea's money making scheme. Buy a player on the cheap, loan him out constantly, let him get better and then sell him. . . Do all this often without the player ever suiting up for the club that held the rights to him in name for years. Chelsea has a lot of players they do this with and their supporters refer to it as "the loan army".

He's part of Chelsea's money making scheme. Buy a player on the cheap, loan him out constantly, let him get better and then sell him. . . Do all this often without the player ever suiting up for the club that held the rights to him in name for years. Chelsea has a lot of players they do this with and their supporters refer to it as "the loan army".

I get the logic behind doing it. I just hate that these guys get used by Chelsea (and other big clubs) for that purpose. I wonder if Miazga will ever stick in a pairing with Brooks. Seems like GB favors Long and even Zimmermann at times. Will be interesting to see Richards development.

I get the logic behind doing it. I just hate that these guys get used by Chelsea (and other big clubs) for that purpose. I wonder if Miazga will ever stick in a pairing with Brooks. Seems like GB favors Long and even Zimmermann at times. Will be interesting to see Richards development.

I would think they know what they are getting into when they sign with Chelsea or other clubs.

It's not a terrible thing. As long as they are seeing the pitch while they are on loan they are still getting experience and they are getting paid regardless.

Wow Liverpool. 7-2 to Aston Villa?

10 goals surrendered in 2 games?

Wow.
Yeah I'm not sure what's going on there. I know Allison is out for awhile but no defense with VDD in the back should ever give up that many goals.

I would think they know what they are getting into when they sign with Chelsea or other clubs.

It's not a terrible thing. As long as they are seeing the pitch while they are on loan they are still getting experience and they are getting paid regardless.

That is the big thing. They have to get PT to develop and be training in an environment that is beneficial.

Oh man...Mesut Ozil, is a PR genius!

Ozil offers to pay Gunnersaurus' salary

"I was so sad that Jerry Quy aka our famous & loyal mascot @Gunnersaurus and integral part of our club was being made redundant after 27 years," Ozil posted on Twitter. "As such, I'm offering to reimburse @Arsenal with the full salary of our big green guy as long as I will be an Arsenal player..."

Reactions: JRHawk2003
Oh man...Mesut Ozil, is a PR genius!

Ozil offers to pay Gunnersaurus' salary

"I was so sad that Jerry Quy aka our famous & loyal mascot @Gunnersaurus and integral part of our club was being made redundant after 27 years," Ozil posted on Twitter. "As such, I'm offering to reimburse @Arsenal with the full salary of our big green guy as long as I will be an Arsenal player..."

I saw that. Didn't know they had those big mascots over there.

Great game between Everton and Liverpool. That was a BS VAR disallowing that goal. He wasnt offsides. Rough game too. Hit on Van Dijk was brutal. 2-2

Glad Everton drew but you’re right about the VAR call. How could they have gotten that wrong?! Liverpool were wrongly done.

Glad Everton drew but you’re right about the VAR call. How could they have gotten that wrong?! Liverpool were wrongly done.

Its not wrong in the sense that they are applying a standard of any touching of the line. The standard for VAR needs to be changed.

Lol....Jose Mourhino just pulled out a "that's football" after his team gave up 3 goals in 18 minutes to allow West Ham to tie 3-3.

Crazy ending.

Reactions: LesClaypool
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT