ADVERTISEMENT

Equality

Max_Rebo

HR All-State
Jan 1, 2023
I’m sure this thread is going to end well. 😉

I should probably preface all of this by noting that I am probably about as “woke” as you can get. You can agree with that, or you can think it’s stupid, and if the latter represents your viewpoint, feel free to come at me on the off-topic board.

But I am really not a fan of the giant “equality” slogan on the Iowa basketball uniforms. It’s not that I have anything against the message. In fact, I think it’s cool for teams to incorporate ideas they value into their uniform designs, whether it’s a message related to social justice or slogan about America’s need for farmers.

But the “equality” slogan, in its current form, just looks haphazard. It doesn’t match the flow of the uniform, and looks more like they are trying to prove their social justice bona fides than design an effective uniform.

Like I said, I’m totally in favor of keeping the message in some shape or form. I just think there’s a better way of doing it. The current iteration just looks like it was done with little thought.

I should probably preface all of this by noting that I am probably about as “woke” as you can get. You can agree with that, or you can think it’s stupid, and if the latter represents your viewpoint, feel free to come at me on the off-topic board.

But I am really not a fan of the giant “equality” slogan on the Iowa basketball uniforms. It’s not that I have anything against the message. In fact, I think it’s cool for teams to incorporate ideas they value into their uniform designs, whether it’s a message related to social justice or slogan about America’s need for farmers.

But the “equality” slogan, in its current form, just looks haphazard. It doesn’t match the flow of the uniform, and looks more like they are trying to prove their social justice bona fides than design an effective uniform.

Like I said, I’m totally in favor of keeping the message in some shape or form. I just think there’s a better way of doing it. The current iteration just looks like it was done with little thought.
Most virtue signaling is blatantly transparent.

Its about publicly bending the knee.

Most virtue signaling is blatantly transparent.

Its about publicly bending the knee.
“Virtue signaling” is an overused phrase. Anyone who wears a cross around their neck or has a cross displayed in their home is “virtue signaling.” In this case, I just think having “equality” blazoned across the backs of the uniforms is over the top.

“Virtue signaling” is an overused phrase. Anyone who wears a cross around their neck or has a cross displayed in their home is “virtue signaling.” In this case, I just think having “equality” blazoned across the backs of the uniforms is over the top.
Disagree. If someone has a cross in their home, they aren't signaling anything to the world. Very few people will ever see it. If they have one around their neck on a chain, odds are that you and the public won't see it. The few who do have it so it can be seen around their neck may indeed be virtue signaling. When you have something on your back, on TV, that nearly every other University has gotten rid of, you are indeed virtue signaling and or are too cheap to buy new uniforms.

It's basically the same as how all the commercials have mixed-race couples, gay couples, gay mixed-race couples, and every other box-checking "marginalized group" so they can say 'look what we did'.
I recall a couple of folks from the past saying "treat others the way you want to be treated", and "judge someone by their character"---both seem like pretty solid ideas. If someone shows you they don't deserve your respect, then adjust accordingly.

Last edited:

Whether you are “woke” or not, why do you care? If the Iowa players and coach wanted to do it let them. It’s no big deal to me. Not sure why you decided to make this a topic as youknow how it’s going to end. Total division on this board. If Fran and the team like it just let it go.

Racism will never go away. Ever. But having it shoved down our throats constantly and blaming most things as being racist (or rooted in racism), only makes it worse, IMO.
No offense, but if a single word on the back of a college basketball jersey equates to 'shoving it down our throats' then this smells of trying too hard to be mad at something.

Last edited:

You'll be ok. The ones this message is about still aren't.

Just wait until the backlash when they take it off - ESPN will have it as a lead story.
This is probably true to some regard. That’s why you try to create a more aesthetically pleasing way of doing it.

This thread really shouldn’t be about what is or isn’t “virtue-signaling” or what virtues should or shouldn’t be signaled. My point is simply that we can do a better job designing our uniforms.

I have to be honest, I didn't even realize the message was still on the back of the jersey until this thread started.
This isn't 1975 folks.
Women can vote, homosexuals' have come out of their closets, White's are reproducing at a lower rate to the point where the next generation of white will be considered a minority in this country.
As someone stated above, there will always be racism in one way shape or form.
I have no bias towards anyone, if Fran/Team chooses to put Equality, No Quality or bad defense on their jersey's, so be it.

I have to be honest, I didn't even realize the message was still on the back of the jersey until this thread started.
This isn't 1975 folks.
Women can vote, homosexuals' have come out of their closets, White's are reproducing at a lower rate to the point where the next generation of white will be considered a minority in this country.
I have no bias towards anyone, if Fran/Team chooses to put Equality, No Quality or bad defense on their jersey's, so be it.
But you’d think they’d could do it in a more aesthetic manner.

Lol at the people who are offended by it.

I’m only offended by the fashion of it all. #NotGay #NTTAWWT

Reactions: Bishop1971

I am about as far from you as one could get ideologically; but, I completely agree about the cluttered uniforms. Too many stripes, the messaging is pointless. Black helmets, no stripes or slogans, just a Tiger Hawk on one side and the player's number in small print on the bottom of the backside of the helmet.

Jerseys the same way. Maybe a small Tiger Hawk on the shoulder and nothing but "Iowa" and the player's name and number. No stripes or slogans or basically anything else. I'd like to see monochromatic, all black at home and all gold on the road. Trim in opposite color. Simple unis.

People should keep politics and religion out of sports. Nothing is gained and all that messaging, praying etc... always pisses off someone. Why offend the customers?​

Last edited:
But you’d think they’d could do it in a more aesthetic manner.

Lol at the people who are offended by it.

I’m only offended by the fashion of it all. #NotGay #NTTAWWT
Why do you care how they do it?

This is probably true to some regard. That’s why you try to create a more aesthetically pleasing way of doing it.

This thread really shouldn’t be about what is or isn’t “virtue-signaling” or what virtues should or shouldn’t be signaled. My point is simply that we can do a better job designing our uniforms.
You seem to be saying two things. 1.) You don't think it's aesthetically pleasing. Gee thanks for the insight.

And 2.) you don't like that it's so loud and in-your-face. Again, thanks for stating the obvious.

Can we talk basketball now?

Excited Freak Out GIF

I see it, at least in my life, not as virtue signaling; but, rather, that I am inadequate, undone, desperately in need of a savior. It is self abasement and not superiority. He died to pay my sin debt because I am a failure.

It is shoving it down the throats of those that see it as an offensive "dog whistle" to use a leftie phrase that promotes just the opposite of equality. Why politic in sports and especially in business? How would you respond to a message that says "Equality/No Quotas" for the larger argument the prevents government, at any level, from allocating rights, goods or services on the basis of race, gender, national origin or other immutable incidents of birth? Guessing you would not like that emblazoned on a uni.

Lest you think that is a pointless hypothetical, what do you realistically think would happen if say the Koch brothers dropped Iowa $100M for NIL money? Those "slogans" would change in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
No offense, but if a single word on the back of a college basketball jersey equates to 'shoving it down our throats' then this smells of trying too hard to be mad at something.
That's quite a reach you are making. I was commenting on the situation as a whole, not a single word on the back of a jersey.

Try not to be so quick to jump to a ridiculous conclusion. No offense.

Last edited:
I'm not interested in the political debates. As someone else said, keep politics, religion, etc. out of sports. I watch sports for the competitive nature of it, not for the social commentary.

That said, I'm all for equality and don't mind having the word on the back of the jersey. Wouldn't bother me if it wasn't there, either. So I have no problem here.

As for the jersey, it should be simple gold and black. No need to complicate it. Less is more. What's wrong with this?

images

It is shoving it down the throats of those that see it as an offensive "dog whistle" to use a leftie phrase that promotes just the opposite of equality. Why politic in sports and especially in business? How would you respond to a message that says "Equality/No Quotas" for the larger argument the prevents government, at any level, allocating rights, goods or services on the basis of race, gender, national origin or other immutable incidents of birth? Guessing you would not like that emblazoned on a uni.

Lest you think that is a pointless hypothetical, what do you realistically think would happen if say the Koch brothers dropped Iowa $100M for NIL money? Those "slogans" would change in a heartbeat.
Here's the thing. I'm guessing ( as I have no idea) that the players wanted to do this. I watch our players play basketball and football. I'm a fan of the University as I went there and the players are the ones putting there asses out on the line in those sports. We all have the option to watch, not watch, etc. If you see the phrase equality as a dog whistle that's your opinion. And I'm fine with that. You and I see the world differently, that much is clear. I've noticed it on the back of the jersey but it hasn't moved the needle for me one way or another. If it causes pain and someone doesn't want to donate to the University because of that it's their choice. If people do and think it's a great thing that's their option as well. I enjoy watching our teams play.

It's stupid.

Just like the crap on the back of helmets and endzones.

Can we also End Hungry? End Wars? End School Shootings? End Rape? End Whatever?

Here's the thing. I'm guessing ( as I have no idea) that the players wanted to do this. I watch our players play basketball and football. I'm a fan of the University as I went there and the players are the ones putting there asses out on the line in those sports. We all have the option to watch, not watch, etc. If you see the phrase equality as a dog whistle that's your opinion. And I'm fine with that. You and I see the world differently, that much is clear. I've noticed it on the back of the jersey but it hasn't moved the needle for me one way or another. If it causes pain and someone doesn't want to donate to the University because of that it's their choice. If people do and think it's a great thing that's their option as well. I enjoy watching our teams play.
I'm more mildly annoyed than actually offended but I am a Hawkeye fanatic. It would take a lot more than a silly slogan to drive me away. But "go woke, go broke" is a real thing. I imagine when the economic shit hit the fan a lot of retailers wished they had that 40-50% of the customer base back. Like Mike Jordan says-Republicans buy shoes too.

As for the "players" I'm guessing a handful of woke leaders demanded it and everyone went along because they didn't want to be called racists, especially with the lawsuit pending. Most people are just followers and will go with the least resistant flow. College kids are especially sensitive to appearances and easily manipulated. Football players are no different.

If I had to guess, they were all for it in the beginning. Just like with many other aspects of the last few years, there is no clear exit strategy. I certainly believe someone will take shots at them when the "word" is removed. As far as my stance with it, words mean very little. It's the actions that matter. I see no issue with "equality" with the Iowa program. I'd just like to see a little more emphasis on defense.

This isn't 1975 folks.
How will you feel when it gets removed?

I'm more mildly annoyed than actually offended but I am a Hawkeye fanatic. It would take a lot more than a silly slogan to drive me away. But "go woke, go broke" is a real thing. I imagine when the economic shit hit the fan a lot of retailers wished they had that 40-50% of the customer base back. Like Mike Jordan says-Republicans buy shoes too.

As for the "players" I'm guessing a handful of woke leaders demanded it and everyone went along because they didn't want to be called racists, especially with the lawsuit pending. Most people are just followers and will go with the least resistant flow. College kids are especially sensitive to appearances and easily manipulated. Football players are no different.
Exactly. Like a word on the jersey or back of the helmet is anything more then symbolism. Did you know the NFL actually has a strict policy on violence against women? Sure they do..... :rolleyes:

Will you think negatively towards the program if they remove it? Also lighten up, Francis.
Not a bit. Why should I? As I've stated, if that's what the players want on the jerseys I'm fine w/it. If they want to take it off I'm also fine w/that. Why would I be mad? They're the ones doing the heavy lifting. We're just guys watching them play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT