ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN article about Iowa girls 6-on-6 bball

No mention of Lynne Lorenzen from Ventura, arguably the greatest Iowa girl's high school bball player of all time. Scored 100 pts a time or two.

As an aside, when my grandma played in the early 1930s 6 v 6 was divided into 3 zones. 2 forwards in the zone by the basket, 2 players in the zone at midcourt, and 2 players on defense at the opposition's basket.
A number of years ago some women started a "granny basketball league" with those rules, 3 zoned court etc. I presume it's still going., tho maybe not. Even old time unis.

Reactions: red/green hawk
A number of years ago some women started a "granny basketball league" with those rules, 3 zoned court etc. I presume it's still going., tho maybe not. Even old time unis.
My grandma played in the middle zone. According to my gramps my gram's shorts fell down at a game he attended and it was love at first site.

Michael Dukakis was campaigning for President when I was in high school, and attended a game at Knoxville against my high school. One of my classmates had to explain to him how the game worked.
By that time wasn't it just the small schools that played 6 on 6? I seem to remember there being girls 5 on 5 played at the larger school class level and the smaller classes still played 6 on 6. Crazy?
Big schools started in mid 80s, and all schools switched in 93 or 94. I think they might have even started middle schools/freshman teams a year or two earlier?

Michael Dukakis was campaigning for President when I was in high school, and attended a game at Knoxville against my high school. One of my classmates had to explain to him how the game worked.

Big schools started in mid 80s, and all schools switched in 93 or 94. I think they might have even started middle schools/freshman teams a year or two earlier?
I think my school switched in '92-'93 season. It was brutal. Scores were like 25-18. It was like watching 9-10 yo's out there.

That was a fun read. Growing up I remember every so often there was some novelty human interest story in the paper or tv about the weird basketball the girls played in Iowa. Never knew much about it.

Reactions: win4jj
ADVERTISEMENT