ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN article on Iowa high school girls 6-on-6 basketball

JupiterHawk

HR Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Jupiter, FL

IN THE WINTER of 2020, just before the pandemic hit, Jan Jensen was rummaging through storage at her home in Coralville, Iowa, when she came upon a folder. It was in an unmarked box that she had packed away in 2015, just after her mother had died.

Jensen opened the folder and found something unexpected. A diary. In three old composition books, a teenager's life unfolded in faded blue cursive.

March 15: ... after practice I could just have cried as it was my last B.B. practice in the Audubon gym for me. It was like saying goodbye to a very dear friend.

Women's History Month + Fifty/50​

Throughout Women's History Month, espnW presents "History in the Making," a collection of stories recognizing contemporary sports figures' voices, achievements, contributions and more.

This year also marks the 50th anniversary of Title IX (effective June 23, 1972), the federal civil rights law prohibiting sex-based discrimination in any educational institution receiving federal funding. In June, ESPN will launch "Fifty/50," a month of content focused on the intersection of women, sports, culture and the fight for equality.

Jensen is an associate head coach for the Iowa Hawkeyes, so of course basketball was important in her family. But the diary was written by her grandmother. In 1921

i

From East to West, Mediapolis was the best!!!!
Yea, my wifes team played Mediapolis often and they used to get run. They were a powerhouse girls program. The Mrs. still holds her schools record ( from over 40 years ago), with 24 rebounds in a game. (Defensive side). I used to give her shit that she wouldn't have been able to do that if she had to run end to end. Of course that never went over to well. LOL!

Yea, my wifes team played Mediapolis often and they used to get run. They were a powerhouse girls program. The Mrs. still holds her schools record ( from over 40 years ago), with 24 rebounds in a game. (Defensive side). I used to give her shit that she wouldn't have been able to do that if she had to run end to end. Of course that never went over to well. LOL!

and she could only dribble twice, so she could never get too far or too winded!

Reactions: Hawk_4shur

The undefeated 1973 Mediapolis team was voted one of the best teams in Iowa girls basketball history.

What is funny now is after a made basket, the ref gathered the ball, passed to the other ref at midcourt, who passed it to the gal at center court.

Here is the 1973 Championship game:

Wow, look at the uniform one team wore in one of the black and white photos. That's more risqué than nowadays.

Only 2 times in McLearn’s storied run. But wow could that dude coach. I think his all time record was 706-80

Yep.

In 28 seasons he had a career coaching record of 706 wins and 80 losses (an 89.8 winning percentage).

During his 26-year tenure at Mediapolis the girls team went 333-8 (97.6 percent) on their home court. This run included consecutive home winning streaks of 97, 84, and 66 games.

In a 14 year window, he took his team to 5 state championship games.

***2 State Championships (1967 and 1973)
***3 Runner Ups (1962, 1971, 1975)

One year after losing in the 1975 State Championship game: in 1976 Ankeny and the large schools started to make regular appearances at the State Tournament and it became much harder to win and advance.

In 1978 Ankeny won the championship

In 1979 Des Moines East won the championship
---Mediapolis lost to Bettendorf by 6 in the 1st round

In 1980, Ankeny beat Norwalk for the Championship
--Mediapolis lost to Norwalk by 6 in the 2nd round

In 1981, Norwalk beat Ankeny for the Championship
--Mediapolis lost to Norwalk by 2 in the 2nd round

I'm old, when I was in Jr. High my one teacher played 6 on 6 and she was old at that time, she said when she played each team could have one player play both ways.

Reactions: WSC72
The undefeated 1973 Mediapolis team was voted one of the best teams in Iowa girls basketball history.

What is funny now is after a made basket, the ref gathered the ball, passed to the other ref at midcourt, who passed it to the gal at center court.

Here is the 1973 Championship game:

That was the same time period as the Mrs. She graduated in 76 and they played Mediapolis almost every year..

Check Montezuma’s record.

Montezuma won 89? In a row. Carrol Rugland was the coach during that run

I have some fantastic stories about him. Another great coach but even he would admit Mediapolis had a better run.

By the way @Franisdaman these are all off the top of my head. No googling. So I might make a mistake or two.

Rugland’s record was like 730 ish and 240 ish. He did well at Hampton too, but not quite like Montezuma.

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman
Yep.

In 28 seasons he had a career coaching record of 706 wins and 80 losses (an 89.8 winning percentage).

During his 26-year tenure at Mediapolis the girls team went 333-8 (97.6 percent) on their home court. This run included consecutive home winning streaks of 97, 84, and 66 games.

One year after losing in the 1975 State Championship game: in 1976 Ankeny and the large schools started to make regular appearances at the State Tournament and it became much harder to win and advance.

Southeast Polk (my school) won the championship in 1977.

Reactions: Franisdaman
My wife played it, one of the last of that generation. She said she was a guard when I saw her lack of handles and shooting I called BS. Well she only guarded people. I know the rules around here but there aint no way Im posting a picture for this motley crue.
My mom was always a defender. She regretted not being able to play on offense because she was always better at that side of the ball, but their coach wanted her on defense because of her height.

#no pics

Yep.

Boo Ankeny winning in 1978

While we are talking girls basketball / coaches I felt the need to post one of my favorite coach quotes of all time made by Larry Niemeyer, Cedar Rapids Jefferson (although this was in his softball coaching capacity).

"The principal (Chuck McDonnell) called Wednesday and said they would not offer me a contract for next year," Niemeyer said. "His comment was that the school needed a change in philosophy in the softball program."What do they want to change to? Losing?"

His record was 2,089-429 in softball, and 871-352 in BB

While we are talking girls basketball / coaches I felt the need to post one of my favorite coach quotes of all time made by Larry Niemeyer, Cedar Rapids Jefferson (although this was in his softball coaching capacity).

"The principal (Chuck McDonnell) called Wednesday and said they would not offer me a contract for next year," Niemeyer said. "His comment was that the school needed a change in philosophy in the softball program."What do they want to change to? Losing?"

His record was 2,089-429 in softball, and 871-352 in BB
That is a LOT of wins!

Reactions: Razorhawk2
I loved 6 on 6. Denise Long was amazing Jeanette Olson was great. I always enjoyed the 6 on 6 games.
When my mother played for Mingo, the bb court was divided into three sections instead of two. She played jumping center and could not leave the middle court area. That was in the 1920s. My how things have changed. Also when I went to school, graduating in the 1960s, The larger schools didn’t have girls sports. Girls also had to wear dresses and no pants were allowed. The boys couldn’t wear blue jeans in high school also.

Reactions: Razorhawk2
Boys Girls
Panthers Pantherettes
Trojans Trojanettes
Tigers Tigerettes
Eagles Eaglettes
Hawks Hawkettes
Indians Squaws

ADVERTISEMENT