ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN asks "What if Iowa had offered its job to Bob Stoops?"

I always thought from what “we (Iowa fans)” had heard from the AD was that they told Bob Stoops that there was one more candidate to interview and then the decision would be made. It was then that OU offered him and pulled the rug from Iowa. Iowa then interviewed KF and as the story goes the rest is history.

I always thought from what “we (Iowa fans)” had heard from the AD was that they told Bob Stoops that there was one more candidate to interview and then the decision would be made. It was then that OU offered him and pulled the rug from Iowa. Iowa then interviewed KF and as the story goes the rest is history.
Partially true, except he already had the OU offer when he was interviewed by Iowa.

I have had a thought for about the last 6 months that everyone thinks is insane and even I think it is a bit crazy but I think could happen, especially now with Corona.

Stoops retired to be present during his son's high school season. Once that ran its course he joined the XFL this year and now that is done. Kirk was much more melancholy this past season. I think most agree that handing it over to Brian is inevitable but he is not ready yet.

I think there has been a plan in place for Kirk to retire after spring ball, citing health or family or something else. A bad time to go on a coaching search which would lead to an interim Brian as head coach .... unless there is someone with a big name that is out of work. Enter Bob Stoops.

Stoops would be welcomed in with open arms by the Hawkeye faithful and could be brought in to "train" Brian for several years and then if Stoops endorses Brian for the head coach job everyone is much happier than Brian just being given the job because he is Kirk's kid.

This would let Stoops retire as a Hawkeye, something I think is important to him, gets us the coach everyone wanted 20+ years ago and bridges the gap between Kirk and Brian while at the same time giving Brian time and credibility.

I think this has been in the works for a long time, the virus gives an even more plausible reason for Kirk to hang it up.

Thoughts? I know most will tell me I am insane but I have just had this gut feeling.

I have had a thought for about the last 6 months that everyone thinks is insane and even I think it is a bit crazy but I think could happen, especially now with Corona.

Stoops retired to be present during his son's high school season. Once that ran its course he joined the XFL this year and now that is done. Kirk was much more melancholy this past season. I think most agree that handing it over to Brian is inevitable but he is not ready yet.

I think there has been a plan in place for Kirk to retire after spring ball, citing health or family or something else. A bad time to go on a coaching search which would lead to an interim Brian as head coach .... unless there is someone with a big name that is out of work. Enter Bob Stoops.

Stoops would be welcomed in with open arms by the Hawkeye faithful and could be brought in to "train" Brian for several years and then if Stoops endorses Brian for the head coach job everyone is much happier than Brian just being given the job because he is Kirk's kid.

This would let Stoops retire as a Hawkeye, something I think is important to him, gets us the coach everyone wanted 20+ years ago and bridges the gap between Kirk and Brian while at the same time giving Brian time and credibility.

I think this has been in the works for a long time, the virus gives an even more plausible reason for Kirk to hang it up.

Thoughts? I know most will tell me I am insane but I have just had this gut feeling.

Someone has been into the bourbon early today.

*Fart noises*

Bowelsby took his sweet ass time with the hiring process and I thank god every day that Terry Allen withdrew or else he would have been the man. Let that sink in, Terry Allen at Iowa. We’d still be rebuilding.

Thank you Marv Cook and a couple of others on the committee.

That is some deep state thinking. WTF? Let me get this straight. Covid allows Kirk to take retirement, and allows us to then hire Stoops. Brian works for Stoops for as long as Bob wants to be here, maybe just 3-4 years (who allows this by the way) and then we make a decision that Brian is ready or not ready? Sure.

I really don't think Iowa would be in a MUCH better position now in 2020, than we already are.

I do think that Bob Stoops could've won more than Kirk, especially given all our close losses over the years. You take just one or two one-score losses a season and suddenly our 7-5 records turn into 8-4 and our 8-4 records turn into 9-3 and so on.

I think that would be the main difference between Kirk and Bob.

As far as championships, that's the other real story here.

Who is to say someone like Bob Stoops would've stayed at Iowa for 21 years if he won a couple conference championships at Iowa?

More than likely, Stoops probably would have left for a bigger job (NFL, etc) had he had some sustained success at Iowa.

The Stoops brothers buried their dad in a Hawkeye jersey. The black and gold runs deep with Bob. That he'll ever end up coaching at Iowa in some capacity is highly unlikely, but you can be sure he'll never stop being an Iowa fan. When it comes to Bob Stoops it is especially true: "Once a Hawkeye, always a Hawkeye."

The Stoops brothers buried their dad in a Hawkeye jersey. The black and gold runs deep with Bob. That he'll ever end up coaching at Iowa in some capacity is highly unlikely, but you can be sure he'll never stop being an Iowa fan. When it comes to Bob Stoops it is especially true: "Once a Hawkeye, always a Hawkeye."

Wearing Hawkeye gear when Iowa was playing someone from their conference was a pretty solid 'Once a Hawkeye, always a Hawkeye' moment.

Most likely, Stoops would have been at Iowa until Florida came calling a few years later. It worked out well for Iowa in the long run.

I tend to agree pretty strongly with this, especially after reading the article. I did not know that Florida came after Stoops in 2001, but even if not Florida, some other blueblood would have snatched him up and we would have been back at square one after a few years of Stoops. And God only knows who we would have gotten then.

If Stoops had been hired at Iowa, maybe he would have left for a blue blood, but I sure don't think that's a given. Not at all. Given Stoops love for the Hawkeyes and his coaching acumen, I believe it would have been more likely that he would have stayed at Iowa and fought like crazy to make Iowa everything it could be. Nobody knows what would have transpired, not even Bob, but that's my take, FWIW.

I tend to agree pretty strongly with this, especially after reading the article. I did not know that Florida came after Stoops in 2001, but even if not Florida, some other blueblood would have snatched him up and we would have been back at square one after a few years of Stoops. And God only knows who we would have gotten then.
Kirk Ferentz

I don't see Kirk retiring for another 3-4 years. We are landing better recruits and the program is getting stronger. As much as I like Bobby, he would be past 60 by the time he got the job. I think we would want the new coach to be a younger man.

I don't see Kirk retiring for another 3-4 years. We are landing better recruits and the program is getting stronger. As much as I like Bobby, he would be past 60 by the time he got the job. I think we would want the new coach to be a younger man.

I don’t think he wants to retire until he gets to .600 winning percentage to qualify for the HOF. It might take another 4-6 years.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
We have had years to think about this. If Stoops would have wanted the Iowa job, he would have waited for a day or two. From his own words, he called his agent the second he left that interview. I do believe that had he waited and taken the job, he would have been at Iowa 6-8 years tops. I don't think anyone would do a better job than the guy we have now. 20+ years speaks for itself. We have the guy that wanted the job, and he has been demonstrating his loyalty every year since.

Brian will have to coach somewhere else before he can be Iowa's head coach. He isn't ready.
If Bob comes in, he'll bring an OC. Brian will go off and be head coach at an Ohio MAC school and when Bob is ready to hang it up, Brian will come back.

Brian will have to coach somewhere else before he can be Iowa's head coach. He isn't ready.
If Bob comes in, he'll bring an OC. Brian will go off and be head coach at an Ohio MAC school and when Bob is ready to hang it up, Brian will come back.
People don't recognize this enough. Even Kirk said that Brian would have to get experience head coaching somewhere else before he'd be ready to be the hc at Iowa.

I really don't think Iowa would be in a MUCH better position now in 2020, than we already are.

I do think that Bob Stoops could've won more than Kirk, especially given all our close losses over the years. You take just one or two one-score losses a season and suddenly our 7-5 records turn into 8-4 and our 8-4 records turn into 9-3 and so on.

I think that would be the main difference between Kirk and Bob.

As far as championships, that's the other real story here.

Who is to say someone like Bob Stoops would've stayed at Iowa for 21 years if he won a couple conference championships at Iowa?

More than likely, Stoops probably would have left for a bigger job (NFL, etc) had he had some sustained success at Iowa.
In his 2nd year at OU, Stoops won a national championship, arguably with his predecessor's recruits. Winning a national championship is great, of course.

In the next 16 years at OU, however, he went 8-8 in bowl games. Overall, in his 18 years at OU, he was 9-9 in bowl games. Unacceptable! ;)

Of those 9 bowl game losses, 6 of them, as you can see, were either a big upset or very embarrassing:
* 55-19 to USC in 2004 (season) Orange Bowl
* 43-42 to Boise State on a trick play in 2006 (season) Fiesta Bowl
* 48-28 to West Virginia in 2007 (season) Fiesta Bowl
* 41-13 to Texas A&M in 2012 (season) Cotton Bowl
* 40-6 to Clemson in 2014 (season) Camping World Bowl
* 37-17 to Clemson in 2015 (season) Orange Bowl

With the advantages that a blue blood like Oklahoma has, did Stoops actually underperform at Oklahoma?

His coaching record: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/bob-stoops-1.html

Kirk is good for another 3-4 years. The program is trending well and the support staff looks solid so I see him wanting to hang around to enjoy what he built...

So will Brett Bielema be remembered forever as a Hawkeye with his tattoo?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT