ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Bracketology, Updated MARCH 13. IOWA is a 5 Seed in CHICAGO Regional. Bracket Matrix on MARCH 13 has IOWA a 5 Seed. #14 NET Ranking on March 13

@ssckelley @TheTruthTheWholeTruth @HawkAssassin @Hawksfor3

How close are we to a #5 seed in the NCAA Tournament?

I really think 6 is the ceiling, and floor that matter, unless something weird happens. The other potential 5 seeds like Texas, UConn, St Mary’s, Colo St, Alabama all have 4+ Q1 victories. Indiana probably didn’t do iowa an favors today by winning tbh.

The predictive analytics love iowa though. Maybe USC as a 6 last year is a good example of what to expect as seeding. I wouldn’t mind their run on the tourney either 😎

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
I really think 6 is the ceiling, and floor that matter, unless something weird happens. The other potential 5 seeds like Texas, UConn, St Mary’s, Colo St, Alabama all have 4+ Q1 victories. Indiana probably didn’t do iowa an favors today by winning tbh.

The predictive analytics love iowa though. Maybe USC as a 6 last year is a good example of what to expect as seeding. I wouldn’t mind their run on the tourney either 😎

yeah, i am thinking a 6 seed is where we land

but if we win the BTT? maybe a 5?

Iowa is on such a roll. Lets hope they keep it up

No way Texas is a 5 after losing last night to TCU. Iowa a solid 5 now. I’ll be highly skeptical if they don’t have Iowa as one of the best teams going into the tourney right now. Iowa can play with anyone.

Reactions: HawksRMe
I think Iowa is a 5 seed now, beat Indiana and they might get up to a 4. They have 24 wins with zero bad losses, I get the Quad 1 record but how many teams do you see with a better Q1 record have no bad losses? When Iowa does lose they are close games, the only exception was at Iowa State.

I nominate you for immediate inclusion on the NCAA Tournament Committee ;)

Those metrics love Iowa since they blow a lot of teams out, score a bunch of points, and lose close games with no bad losses. Having a potential POTY in Keegan Murray can't hurt.

But you could be right as I'm obviously biased. It's weird to think a 24 win Big Ten team can be a 6 seed.

No way Texas is a 5 after losing last night to TCU. Iowa a solid 5 now. I’ll be highly skeptical if they don’t have Iowa as one of the best teams going into the tourney right now. Iowa can play with anyone.

By the way, how sweet would it be if we were in the Midwest (Chicago) regional, which is where some have us RIGHT NOW? we'd have to reach the Sweet 16 to make it to Chicago, but still.....

By the way, how sweet would it be if we were in the Midwest (Chicago) regional, which is where some have us RIGHT NOW? we'd have to reach the Sweet 16 to make it to Chicago, but still.....

Just the thought of still playing past the first weekend gets me going let alone playing in Chicago.

If they do wind up in Chicago screw the gas prices, I'm going!

Those metrics love Iowa since they blow a lot of teams out, score a bunch of points, and lose close games with no bad losses. Having a potential POTY in Keegan Murray can't hurt.

But you could be right as I'm obviously biased. It's weird to think a 24 win Big Ten team can be a 6 seed.
I think (hope) Iowa is a five seed right now. I know they lack quad one wins, but the eye test matters and how the team is playing at the end of the year matters. I realize neither are part of the official criteria but you can’t tell me this team isn’t one of the 20 best teams in the country.

If Iowa ends up as a six seed the three seed will be getting screwed. Similar to Iowa last year being paired with the Pac12 champ as it’s 7 seed.

Count me in at thinking we are a 5, I don't really see a path to a 4, would require UCLA or Providence losing today paired with us winning BTT. I'm skeptical if that would even do it but not going to worry about seeding too much, it's all about the draw anyways. Just going to enjoy this run, hope the take the BTT and make at least a 2nd weekend run. It's time!

I'd take a 6 seed all day; might even be better than a 5 seed if you are looking at 3 games to get to the Elite 8.

I think (hope) Iowa is a five seed right now. I know they lack quad one wins, but the eye test matters and how the team is playing at the end of the year matters. I realize neither are part of the official criteria but you can’t tell me this team isn’t one of the 20 best teams in the country.

If Iowa ends up as a six seed the three seed will be getting screwed. Similar to Iowa last year being paired with the Pac12 champ as it’s 7 seed.
This year’s Iowa would slap last year’s Oregon silly. Iowa could easily hang 100 on the Ducks.

Reactions: Chicagoherky71

yeah, I hope we are a 5 seed no matter what happens tomorrow

Count me in at thinking we are a 5, I don't really see a path to a 4, would require UCLA or Providence losing today paired with us winning BTT. I'm skeptical if that would even do it but not going to worry about seeding too much, it's all about the draw anyways. Just going to enjoy this run, hope the take the BTT and make at least a 2nd weekend run. It's time!
I'd take a 6 seed all day; might even be better than a 5 seed if you are looking at 3 games to get to the Elite 8.
3rd ranked bracketologist moved Iowa to 5. LSU and Texas make some room, perhaps.
Yikes that would be a nightmare drawl. Arkansas is very good and Gonzaga is probably the one team Iowa has no chance at beating.
I would rather be a 6 than a 5 in Gonzaga's bracket.

what do you think we need to do tomorrow and/or Sunday to get/keep that #5 seed?

Looks like most of the top guys have us right on the line of 5/6. LSU and Texas are done so those would be the teams we could theoretically leapfrog. 4 isn’t attainable IMO.

B1G tournament final is irrelevant for teams already in the field. Bracket is already set at that point. Wherever Iowa is after today is where they’ll be.
I know I've heard this in the past but where have you seen/heard that this is still the case?

Here are the Current NET Rankings, Through March 11, 2022 Games:

Rank..Previous..Record...Road..Neutral..Home..Quad1...Quad 2...Quad 3...Quad 4

1313PurdueBig Ten26-65-55-016-17-56-17-06-0
1415IowaBig Ten24-96-63-015-32-68-37-07-0
1514IllinoisBig Ten22-97-42-213-36-66-36-04-0
2521WisconsinBig Ten24-79-23-112-48-38-24-24-0
2627Ohio St.Big Ten19-115-61-213-35-55-56-13-0
3434MichiganBig Ten17-145-72-210-55-103-36-13-0
3637Michigan St.Big Ten22-115-65-212-35-88-26-13-0
3841IndianaBig Ten20-123-83-014-44-74-45-17-0
7877RutgersBig Ten18-134-90-114-36-63-44-25-1
8887Penn St.Big Ten14-171-103-210-52-103-55-24-0
9092MarylandBig Ten15-173-72-210-82-115-24-44-0
9191NorthwesternBig Ten14-163-82-29-61-112-35-26-0
108110MinnesotaBig Ten13-173-92-18-72-100-66-15-0
141141NebraskaBig Ten10-223-80-27-122-101-72-45-1

As of MARCH 12, 12:15 am CT:

Good news for @MrsScrew !!!

Rutgers & Indiana get one of the LAST 4 BYES.

Michigan is one of the LAST 4 IN (in a play in game).

Xavier (and Jack Nunge) are part of the Last 4 IN (in a play in game).

Joe Lunardi has #5 Iowa in the MIDWEST (Chicago) Regional. He has Iowa starting out in Buffalo vs #12 UAB with the winner getting #4 Providence or #13 Vermont. So, if Iowa wins these 2 games in Buffalo, they advance to the Sweet 16 in Chicago.

He has these 9 B1G teams in the NCAA Tournament:

Seed/Team:
2 Purdue
3 Wisconsin
4 Illinois
5 IOWA
7 Ohio State
7 Michigan State
11 Rutgers (LAST 4 BYES)
11 Indiana (LAST 4 BYES)
12 Michigan (LAST 4 IN; in a play in game)

Bracket Matrix
, which currently combines the results of 142 brackets, has IOWA as a 6 Seed.

Link: http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

IOWA (#14 NET Ranking on March 12)

2-6: Quad 1
8-3: Quad 2
7-0: Quad 3
7-0: Quad 4
24-9 Overall Record
===================

March 12 Nonconference Schedule Rank, out of 358 teams (per KenPom):
#26: Michigan
#322: Indiana
#324: IOWA
#355: Rutgers

March 12 OVERALL Schedule Rank, out of 358 teams (per KenPom):
#5: Michigan
#42: Rutgers
#45: Indiana
#56: IOWA

Quad 1 Records (thru March 11 Games):

6-6: Rutgers
5-10: Michigan
4-7: Indiana
2-6: IOWA

Team Rankings on March 12:

IOWA...........#14 NET, #13 KenPom

Michigan.......#34 NET, #33 KenPom
Indiana..........#38 NET, #40 KenPom
Rutgers..........#78 NET, #75 KenPom

The Full ESPN Bracket:

Linardi hinted at it this morning on sportscenter. And it wasn’t even in reference to the B1G. He was talking about the A10 final which takes place two hours earlier.
If true then that's silly. There aren't very many games on Sunday, it wouldn't be difficult to have the bracket mostly set with a few contingency scenarios. Maybe the championship game isn't material to the overall resume, but if it's a win over someone like Purdue it could be the difference between seeds and any team should get credit for a win like that.

Reactions: Franisdaman
If true then that's silly. There aren't very many games on Sunday, it wouldn't be difficult to have the bracket mostly set with a few contingency scenarios. Maybe the championship game isn't material to the overall resume, but if it's a win over someone like Purdue it could be the difference between seeds and any team should get credit for a win like that.
Oh for sure I agree. If this was about getting the best bracket then today would be the last day for games and they would have tomorrow to get a complete picture. But the TV execs are more concerned with having games leading up to their show.

I don’t know that you can really assess a team properly until all the team sheet stats have updated. The committee isn’t going to have access to Iowa’s kenpom, NET, etc. because margin of victory matters in those stats.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT