ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Bracketology, Updated MARCH 13. IOWA is a 5 Seed in CHICAGO Regional. Bracket Matrix on MARCH 13 has IOWA a 5 Seed. #14 NET Ranking on March 13

The only sure thing I know is that anybody on here saying anything definitively regarding seeding is full if sh$t, because they don't have that information. The only ones that do are the committee members and even they don't have everything drilled down until the day is over.
Iowa is a 5. How is that for definitive. 😎

Andy Katz has us in the West Region with Gonzaga.

He has #5 Iowa vs #12 UAB with the winner getting #4 Arkansas or #13 Chattanooga

In the Midwest/Chicago regional, he has UConn as the #5 seed and UCLA as the #4 seed.

His full bracket:

Iowa is a 5. How is that for definitive. 😎
I'm inclined to agree, but all that means is that neither one of us knows for sure. I'm also not convinced that should Iowa win today that they don't jump to the 4 spot. If they'd beaten Illinois instead of Indiana yesterday I'd be more confident that that was the case. I still think it might be a possibility but that's still my completely unscientific, uninformed prediction. Win and find themselves a 4. Lose and remain a 5.

Possibly, but I find it odd that they can alter seeding just fine these past few days but can't have a contingency bracket ready to alter seeding for one team. Again, if they think this game doesn't matter one way or the other for Iowa's seeding then fine. It doesn't matter in that case. We have no idea where they have Iowa currently though. If they have us at a 6 and a win makes us a 5 in their eyes, then we should get the 5. Whether it be UCLA, St Mary's, etc. that they determine has a worse resume after an Iowa win over Purdue, then obviously it is fair to have them swap seeds. Why wouldn't it be fair to the other team?

Again, you are expecting the committee to cater to 1 conference because they decide to start their championship game last. If I'm a committee member I'm telling the Big Ten if you want us to include your championship game in our final brackets then start earlier.

Again, you are expecting the committee to cater to 1 conference because they decide to start their championship game last. If I'm a committee member I'm telling the Big Ten if you want us to include your championship game in our final brackets then start earlier.
Sure, both things can be true. The Big Ten can be at fault for not moving up the championship game, and the committee can still be pathetic and lazy for not being able to plan for a total of TWO possible scenarios.

You may indeed be right, but IMO this is not the case. I think if they win today they will be a 4 seed, and if they lose a 5. I think the committee has a number of scenarios already set up, and when todays games are finished they just match up the corresponding scenario to the outcome.

not much difference between 4 and 5 though, so I do agree this is mostly just about a trophy.

What makes you think the Big Ten is so special to where the committee will hold up it's brackets until the Big Ten game is over? The only time the Big Ten championship game has an impact on the seeding is if the winner that gets the AQ and wouldn't have gotten an at-large bid. In that case they have a placeholder on their bracket.

I'm not just guessing at this, read the comments that Franisdaman has posted in this thread that are from the committee. I get that beating Purdue should move us up, but it won't, the game is for a trophy and nothing more.

I'm not just guessing at this, read the comments that Franisdaman has posted in this thread that are from the committee. I get that beating Purdue should move us up, but it won't, the game is for a trophy and nothing more.
The quote I saw said that the field was set last night and that bracketing and scrubbing will happen today. Does that not mean that the teams in the field are set but there could still be movement inside the field today? I haven't seen a quote saying the Big Ten championship won't have an effect, but I could have missed it.

it is interesting that the conference cares more about the time slot and the TV money than the potential impact on its teams in the NCAA Tournament

this year, for example, a Tournament Championship might have given Iowa a better 5 seed or Purdue a better 2 seed

Sure, both things can be true. The Big Ten can be at fault for not moving up the championship game, and the committee can still be pathetic and lazy for not being able to plan for a total of TWO possible scenarios.

Regardless of who wins today, i hope the question gets asked on whether it would have helped Iowa or Purdue by winning the game

The quote I saw said that the field was set last night and that bracketing and scrubbing will happen today. Does that not mean that the teams in the field are set but there could still be movement inside the field today? I haven't seen a quote saying the Big Ten championship won't have an effect, but I could have missed it.

unfortunately now the Tournament Committee has to put Richmond (which just now upset Davidson) into the NCAA Tournament.

The A-10 does not deserve 2 teams in the Big Dance but they will get it.

cc: @Ronman @ssckelley @LetsGoHawks83 @CleteyColgate @HawkRose @kceasthawk @TheTruthTheWholeTruth

Reactions: Franisdaman
How are they ever going to figure out how to update the bracket this close to the selection show??!!!

They have placeholders for these situations. Richmond is probably sliding in on a 12 seed line and the bubble teams all slide down a notch.

lol, ok….you win. Call the committee and issue a complaint. I’m just repeating what they said.
I'm not trying to argue, just trying to understand. I've been told that this game doesn't matter but still haven't seen a direct quote that states that. If there's one out there then feel free to share.

ADVERTISEMENT