ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Commentator: Iowa State At #6 Is An Embarrassment

You're a part of a conference that ****ed everything up. Now you want the committee to forget you didn’t play anyone outside of your crap conference. The big 10 tried every way possible to bend the rules for tOSU and the rest of the teams are just riding along.

See, but the thing is, OSU would crush ISU. And OU. And you know it.

Notre Dame is in with one loss. No one will take a two-loss Iowa State team over a two-loss Clemson team. Alabama is in regardless. Ohio State isn't losing to North_estern. Texas A&M isn't losing to Tennessee.

Again, the point will likely be moot after Saturday. Beating Oklahoma twice in the same year is a tall task.
THIS......

Reactions: hawktrooper1
Jesus Christ. What's the bottom line here??

We are ranked #16 and in line to what....maybe play in the Outback bowl again?

The system has ISU at #6 and one win away from potentially seeing the playoff. They also have a RB that was in Heisman discussions.

Iowa State is having a great season and we did what we do - lose a couple conference games to lesser opponents and finish second in the division.

I hope the Clowns win, and then we beat their asses in '21 to keep them as the state of Iowa's clear #2.

Not sure why you a$$holes insist on talking sh*t when they are having a fantastic season regardless of the outcome vs. Oklahoma.

Reactions: bozotheclown
Clemson has zero losses right now in the eyes of the committee. Losing in OT on the road to the #2 team in the country WITHOUT your starting QB, who happens to be the best college football player arguably of the past few years, will be DOA when final resumes are reviewed. Almost like it never happened. Or, actually, they may even view that loss as an unofficial win because it's such an impressive loss given the circumstances. Thus, BAMA, Clemson and Notre Dame can more or less book their flights to the CFP right now. Only thing left for debate is whether Ohio State (80% chance), A&M (10% chance) or Florida (10% chance because beating BAMA would be THE most impressive win of any team and thus put them in the discussion vs. an unbeaten Ohio State) will be joining the party.

Reactions: David1979
The advantage I’m speaking of is how the lack of a season starting on the same weekend with the same number of games across the board helped boost ISU’s rankings. Do try to keep up.
OK, I'll try. Please re-state your point in English. Are you ripping the Big Ten honchos?

Regardless of Iowa State's loss to Louisiana, beating Oklahoma and Texas in the same year is something that hasn't been seen in the state of Iowa in almost 60 years. It's the equivalent or almost the equivalent of Iowa beating Ohio State and Michigan in the same year. The last time Iowa did that was 1962.

Why is there so much talk as if Oklahoma is for sure losing to Iowa State this weekend? They had so many impact players out versus Iowa State before, and their QB is fresh and learning and even then Iowa State barely beat them. Oklahoma is not the team they were back then and it's weird to see this narrative that Iowa State is expected to win. Not to mention that it's incredibly difficult to beat a team twice in one season.

Also, even if Iowa State wins, there is near 0% chance that they get into the CFP. So many things would have to happen to have them even sniff a chance of getting in that it's not worth talking about.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Jesus Christ. What's the bottom line here??

We are ranked #16 and in line to what....maybe play in the Outback bowl again?

The system has ISU at #6 and one win away from potentially seeing the playoff. They also have a RB that was in Heisman discussions.

Iowa State is having a great season and we did what we do - lose a couple conference games to lesser opponents and finish second in the division.

I hope the Clowns win, and then we beat their asses in '21 to keep them as the state of Iowa's clear #2.

Not sure why you a$$holes insist on talking sh*t when they are having a fantastic season regardless of the outcome vs. Oklahoma.

Agree. Stop with the whining.

Reactions: radicalhawk
Why? And what does Iowa gain by that? If Iowa and Iowa State continue their winning ways in to next fall, the game in Ames next September 11 might finally have a little national significance, if, let's say, both teams were rated in the Top 15. If Iowa beats an unranked Iowa State team that got whipped by Northern Iowa the week before, nobody cares. But yeah, Iowa and Iowa State both ranked on September 11, 2021 is probably improbable.
What does Iowa gain by ISU winning? Nothing.

Guy on the KU/TT game says this due to losing to Louisiana by two scores it's an Embarrassment. Also put down the CFP in general.
Bilas is the same ass hat who thinks college basketball should not be played right now either. Doubt if Iowa fans agree with him on that one.

Iowa State got a giant gift today.
Coastal Carolina canceled its game with Louisiana.
If Coastal beat Louisiana again, the committee would of had perfect opportunity to correct its stupidity and move them ahead of ISU. ISU lost at home by 3!!! Scores to Louisiana. Coastal won AT Louisiana and is undefeated.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I mean, I think you could put ISU, Florida and Georgia all about the same. I can understand why they are ranked where they are. My only think is if you are going to put ISU that high, then why is Iowa only at 16? They aren't ten spots better than Iowa. I think the committee is just all over the place with their thinking. Iowa has 6 straight wins by about a 20 point average. Talk about eye test. Then if you want to look at analytics, Iowa is a top ten team on most computer models. I mean what is it? Are you trying to get the best teams or are you trying to get best resumes? or something else? I think it should be expanded to 6 not 8 and the two top teams should get byes.

Why is there so much talk as if Oklahoma is for sure losing to Iowa State this weekend? They had so many impact players out versus Iowa State before, and their QB is fresh and learning and even then Iowa State barely beat them. Oklahoma is not the team they were back then and it's weird to see this narrative that Iowa State is expected to win. Not to mention that it's incredibly difficult to beat a team twice in one season.

Also, even if Iowa State wins, there is near 0% chance that they get into the CFP. So many things would have to happen to have them even sniff a chance of getting in that it's not worth talking about.
I think they would get in with an OSU loss and and ISU win. So not that many things have to happen. Honestly the fact that A&M is 5th is as much BS as ISU 6.

Voters are confused by the high point scores in the Little 12 thinking they have great offenses. They consistently fail to look at historical bowl games which prove Little 12 defenses are terrible and offenses are ok. In bowl games, Oklahoma and others continue to show how poor conference is.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

Oklahoma is favored tomorrow. I don't know who is expecting ISU to win....except the ISU coaches and players, of course. The betting people certainly are not.

You are correct that OU is a much better team than they were when ISU beat them in Ames. However, ISU is a much better team, as well. Cyclones played that game without a top WR and with an OL that was playing its third game as a unit.

It is extremely difficult to beat any team twice in one year. When it's OU, it's even tougher.

It is worth noting that ISU and OU are 2-2 in their last four meetings, and one of the ISU losses was the result of a horrible no-call on a two-point conversion try.

You are right about the CFP.

Voters are confused by the high point scores in the Little 12 thinking they have great offenses. They consistently fail to look at historical bowl games which prove Little 12 defenses are terrible and offenses are ok. In bowl games, Oklahoma and others continue to show how poor conference is.
This isn't true at all. They have good defenses in the Big 12.

Oklahoma is favored tomorrow. I don't know who is expecting ISU to win....except the ISU coaches and players, of course. The betting people certainly are not.

You are correct that OU is a much better team than they were when ISU beat them in Ames. However, ISU is a much better team, as well. Cyclones played that game without a top WR and with an OL that was playing its third game as a unit.

It is extremely difficult to beat any team twice in one year. When it's OU, it's even tougher.

It is worth noting that ISU and OU are 2-2 in their last four meetings, and one of the ISU losses was the result of a horrible no-call on a two-point conversion try.

You are right about the CFP.

Right...I don't get where anyone could have the perception that it is "expected" ISU is going to win. We're a solid underdog in the point spreads and everyone on the planet knows how hard it is to beat a VERY good team like Oklahoma twice in the same season.

That said, IF Iowa State should win only an idiot would say they have 0% chance of getting in the playoff. Long odds...sure. But 0 is just plain incorrect. It would take Texas A&M losing and ND beating Clemson. If those two things happen, a 2 loss Clemson is absolutely not getting a 3rd shot at Notre Dame by being put into the playoffs...its just not something the committee would do.

Now...do I think Clemson is better than ISU? Damn sure I do, but the committee has its process and that is going to eliminate Clemson should these lose again to ND. If Clemson is out...and the Aggies lose...ISU will get drink from that poisoned chalice of the football playoffs. And let me add that I have NO desire to be matched up against Alabama in such a scenario...would much rather beat OU and run off to play in the Cotton Bowl.

I mean, I think you could put ISU, Florida and Georgia all about the same. I can understand why they are ranked where they are. My only think is if you are going to put ISU that high, then why is Iowa only at 16? They aren't ten spots better than Iowa. I think the committee is just all over the place with their thinking. Iowa has 6 straight wins by about a 20 point average. Talk about eye test. Then if you want to look at analytics, Iowa is a top ten team on most computer models. I mean what is it? Are you trying to get the best teams or are you trying to get best resumes? or something else? I think it should be expanded to 6 not 8 and the two top teams should get byes.

Iowa is at 16 because they haven’t beat a team over .500 and have a worse loss.

You can’t use computer metrics this year for most conferences, especially the Big 10. The only way those work is if you have data points outside of your own conference. If there’s no crossover between conferences, the data set is junk.

You can’t use computer metrics this year for most conferences, especially the Big 10. The only way those work is if you have data points outside of your own conference. If there’s no crossover between conferences, the data set is junk.

So if you can't use any computer metrics, you're saying the only way to judge a team is by eye test? While I agree it's harder to compare teams this year, you can't really count out every computer metric. And I'm saying that while also admitting some bias since many (most?) computer metrics have Iowa above Iowa State.

Also, while Iowa State also may be a better team than when they played Oklahoma last, you can't say that it was even remotely an even playing field with the amount of starters/impact players Oklahoma had out versus what Iowa State had out. They also have a fresh QB who is still learning the playbook and has been stellar since then. I'm sure Iowa State will give Oklahoma a good game this weekend, but I'd be pretty heavily for Oklahoma to win by at least a TD.

Reactions: David1979

Lol, This is just dumb. That isn't the only way it works. Only data point outside of Big 12 for ISU is Louisiana and they got curb stomped at home.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
tOSU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the rest of the big 10. Keep riding them coattails.

Lets take a look at actual game results.

* Coastal Carolina beat Louisiana.

* Louisiana HUMILIATED Moo U in Lames, IA.

* Moo U beat an overrated OU.

So, the conclusion is rather simple when it comes to the CFP Rankings:

Coastal Carolina > Louisiana >>>>>>>>>>Moo U in Lames, IA > Oklahoma

Keep going back to years prior. Tavern hawks are good at that. We’re talking about this year, numbnuts.

Oh shit, sorry, I forgot you only play the good teams in your conference like every 3-4 years.
Gotta love the ISU fans coming to an Iowa board strutting around thumping their chest and looking for some sort of validation.

And what is this “Tavern Hawk” nonsense? I realize it is some lame attempt at insulting people who are Iowa fans that didn’t attend school there. But do you stupidly believe all ISU fans attended Iowa State? Are you really that dumb? You can’t even do an insult right. LOL!

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Gotta love the ISU fans coming to an Iowa board strutting around thumping their chest and looking for some sort of validation.

And what is this “Tavern Hawk” nonsense? I realize it is some lame attempt at insulting people who are Iowa fans that didn’t attend school there. But do you stupidly believe all ISU fans attended Iowa State? Are you really that dumb? You can’t even do an insult right. LOL!

The ISU fans in this thread seem to be the reasonable ones...the chest thumpers are on the Iowa side. There are a number of reasonable Iowa fans in this thread, so to be clear I'm referring to those who make claims such as "ISU has 0% chance of making the playoffs". Such absolutes are the sign of "emotionalism" rather than analysis. The Cyclone fans here are defending ISU's record and saying we're quite a longshot for the playoffs...and none have tried to say we're objectively better than Clemson or even Texas A&M. But we are #6 and IF we beat Oklahoma, there's a real chance...given perhaps 2 upsets...we could make the playoffs.

As I said, and I think a lot of Cyclone fans would agree...I'd prefer to win and not quite make the playoffs, ending up in the Cotton Bowl. I do not believe we are ready to face an Alabama without getting crushed...of course, that may be true for every team in the nation not named Ohio State, Clemson or Notre Dame...and I'd rather let the Aggies get wiped off the floor than my Cyclones.

Lol, no. I’m saying Iowa is ranked too high for the shit teams they played.
Lol, teams like Northwestern, Wisconsin, and even Minnesota would all be very competitive and perhaps beat the “mighty” clones this year. It’s ironic you talk schedule strength when isu played such Titans as Kansas, a Covid depleted K State, and very over/rated Texas team.

It has nothing to do with whether or not they attended the University. If you’ve been to any rural Iowa bar, you know what a tavern hawk is.

It has nothing to do with whether or not they attended the University. If you’ve been to any rural Iowa bar, you know what a tavern hawk is.
Lol - by that metric, I’ve seen plenty of tavern cyclone fans.

This isn't true at all. They have good defenses in the Big 12.

Every defense looks awesome at this point:
323054.image3.jpg

The Big 12's problem is when they actually play the games. Sure some years a few of the teams have solid D units, (I said 'unit') but for the most part, the conference is not exactly known for pumping out Steel Curtains comparisons.

Every defense looks awesome at this point:
323054.image3.jpg

The Big 12's problem is when they actually play the games. Sure some years a few of the teams have solid D units, (I said 'unit') but for the most part, the conference is not exactly known for pumping out Steel Curtains comparisons.
Yeah there's a reason the Big12 is severally underdrafted for defense than any other conference. NFL teams aren't really looking towards the Big12 for their defensive players for the most part.

I'm not defending the rankings, God forbid, but to answer your question about Iowa's ranking, I assume it has something to do with SOS. The Hawks lost to the only team they played with a winning record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT