ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Host Skip Bayless Appears Headed for Fox

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Skip Bayless — like Stephen A. Smith, his partner on ESPN2’s “First Take”— is loved and loathed. He takes sides. He fulminates. He says things he shouldn’t.

His daily face-offs against Smith are chronicled online as if they were 21st-century Lincoln-Douglas debates gone mad, with a lot of Tim Tebow talk thrown in to drive us crazy.

And now he is leaving, heading almost certainly to the only network that wants and needs him: FS1, which is trying to build its own debate-show culture, with Bayless as its leading town crier.

Bayless’s “First Take” finale will be the day after the N.B.A. finals, but he will leave ESPN when his contract expires, at the end of August.

This is the latest loss of big-name talent at ESPN: Last year, for various reasons, Keith Olbermann, Bill Simmons, Jason Whitlock and Colin Cowherd left. Earlier this week, Mike Tirico chose to say goodbye after a quarter-century and move to NBC Sports, where, it appears, he may get a shot at replacing Al Michaels on “Sunday Night Football” and Bob Costas as the Olympics prime-time host.

I don’t get the sense that Bayless is leaving because of any concerns at ESPN about paying high-priced talent while it is losing subscribers to cord-cutting. This is, it seems, Bayless flush with nearly a decade of rising success at ESPN, looking to receive greater riches and, possibly, more control at Fox-owned FS1.

The deal with FS1 is not done yet, but there is no reason to think it will unravel. Bayless turned down ESPN’s offer last Friday and he is talking to FS1 executives, chiefly Jamie Horowitz, the former coordinating producer of “First Take,” who is the president of Fox Sports national networks. He has worked with Bayless and, since going to Fox, coveted him. Now, it appears, he has him.

Horowitz cannot reunite Bayless with Smith, who renewed his contract last year for over $3 million annually.

ESPN is left with a major question: Who, among its talking heads, is capable of replacing Bayless? It may not be easy to find the right person. Chemistry is difficult to manufacture. You need the right mix of intelligence and bloviating. ESPN can’t throw just anyone onto “First Take” and expect him or her to match hardheaded wits against Smith, a verbal force who occasionally gets into trouble with his bosses. His remarks about domestic violence during the Ray Rice scandal earned him a suspension. ESPN’s former ombudsman Robert Lipsyte wrote in 2014 that the positives of a show like “First Take” (a growing audience and some “thought-provoking, entertaining television”) also mean that ESPN has to “live with — or at least take more responsibility — when that particular septic tank overflows.”

By the cold analysis of Nielsen viewership, the debates — septic or otherwise — bring in lots of viewers. “First Take” attracted 412,000 viewers in the first three months of 2016, a record for the show during the first quarter; the show hit its peak average viewership in the fourth quarter last year with an average of 483,000 viewers.

By comparison, “Mike & Mike,” the two-man show that precedes “First Take,” saw its viewership rise 16 percent in the first quarter this year, to 274,000. Maybe Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic should get red-faced more often.

“I don’t mean to be flippant about replacing Skip easily,” said Norby Williamson, ESPN’s executive vice president for production. “But I feel very confident that we’ll continue to innovate the show and build on the success that the two of them had. It’s not like we haven’t faced things like this before. But we’ve been pretty adept at navigating successful change.”

ESPN will also have to replace Tirico, a likable versatile announcer who probably could have called “Monday Night Football” for another 15 or 20 years. But Tirico’s role is less personality-driven than Bayless’s was. Those who watch “First Take” tune in for Smith vs. Bayless. Tirico sets up Jon Gruden, he doesn’t debate him, which doesn’t mean ESPN won’t miss him.

“He’s contributed a ridiculous level to virtually every platform we have — college football, ‘Monday Night Football,’ ‘SportsCenter’ — and he means a lot to the fabric of this place,” Williamson said. “But this creates opportunities for other people. Not to minimize what he’s contributed to us, but I’m very confident we have people who can step up and build on his work.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/27/s...pn.html&eventName=Watching-article-click&_r=0

espn is screwing themselves by being politically correct instead of being a sports network

same thing happened to MTV, when they got off track

just do what you do folks, leave the politics and other stuff to other networks

Reactions: hawkeye54545
Have any of you ever watched a complete segment of Inside the Lines? I have not.
I don't have espn. I don't have cable. every time I go to a hotel or travel and espn is on, or it's on in a sports bar where I am watching, it drives me nuts, unwatchable

espn is screwing themselves by being politically correct instead of being a sports network

same thing happened to MTV, when they got off track
just do what you do folks, leave the politics and other stuff to other networks

I don't say this often but OIT nailed it. I should not know the political leanings of a sports network regardless whether I do or don't agree with them.

Give me games and highlights and then leave the social stuff to other avenues.

I still remember when jalen rose put that little guy in his place.. Rose to didn't like the fact he was ripping on a bench player..

Somehow, someway, Skip managed to make Stephen A. look like the more intelligent, more thought provoking person. For that I will always give him credit.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I'm actually more likely to watch with him gone. I don't buy the whole "cord-cutter" thing as a primary reason for falling ratings. I'm sure it's a contributing factor but I think the issue is a lot more of the product sucking than anything else.

It's gonna be awkward at Fox when Bayless and Troy Aikman are in the same room.

I have less and less interest in ESPN. Its habit and there are some good people on it but Skip Bayless wasn't one of them. I never got that show of his with Screamin A.

I am a big fan of Sage Steele.

I have less and less interest in ESPN. Its habit and there are some good people on it but Skip Bayless wasn't one of them. I never got that show of his with Screamin A.

I am a big fan of Sage Steele.

They took a short segment (1st and 10) from a show (Cold Pizza) and made an irritating, hour long show. I'm not sure I watched more than a couple of full shows that had both Skip and Stephen A. If I was home, I would sometimes check out the first couple of minutes to see if they had any guest hosts instead of those two, but that is all I'd watch of it.

Oh, and Sage Steele? Yes, although she's about 5-6 inches too tall. And married. With kids.

Oh, you meant as a host? Sorry. Yes I like her on the NBA shows.

They took a short segment (1st and 10) from a show (Cold Pizza) and made an irritating, hour long show. I'm not sure I watched more than a couple of full shows that had both Skip and Stephen A. If I was home, I would sometimes check out the first couple of minutes to see if they had any guest hosts instead of those two, but that is all I'd watch of it.

Oh, and Sage Steele? Yes, although she's about 5-6 inches too tall. And married. With kids.

Oh, you meant as a host? Sorry. Yes I like her on the NBA shows.

She is a host?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT