ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN list is B.S.

• Hayden Fry at #91 seriously? Hayden is top 50 at minimum, also no Ferentz.
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...est-coaches-college-football-150-year-history

Ironically 2 of his former assistants are ahead of him. Snyder at 55 and Alvarez one spot ahead at 90. Plus throw in Stoops at 29.

Not too familiar with him but had Ron Schipper who coached at Central College in Iowa from 61-96' (287-67-3) at #77 ahead of Hayden as well. Said he won 18 conf. 1 national title & runner up. Said Central never had a losing season under him.

Ironically 2 of his former assistants are ahead of him. Snyder at 55 and Alvarez one spot ahead at 90. Plus throw in Stoops at 29.

Not too familiar with him but had Ron Schipper who coached at Central College in Iowa from 61-96' (287-67-3) at #77 ahead of Hayden as well. Said he won 18 conf. 1 national title & runner up. Said Central never had a losing season under him.

Actually 1 national title ('74) and 2x runner up ('84 and '88)

There are quite a few Division 1AA, 2 and 3 coaches on this list which reduces the number of Division 1 coaches. Duffy Daugherty at #51 is a joke. Take away the 1965-66 teams which compiled a 19-1-1 record and his overall coaching record is 90-68-4.
Urban at #47? 3 National Championships and the 3rd highest overall win percentage for coaches at the Division 1 level, only behind 2 guys named Rockne and Leahy.

Reactions: m.stoops2013
If Snyder is #55, how and the F is Ferentz not even in the damn thing?

I'm no expert, but I would put those two coaches pretty close to each other. Main difference is that Snyder coached several more years.

Yeah it is a pretty bad list.
Brian Kelly on this list, let alone ahead of Hayden Fry, ESPN writers?........

giphy.gif

I'm no expert, but I would put those two coaches pretty close to each other. Main difference is that Snyder coached several more years.

I would put Snyder in the Top 5 of all coaches in the modern era given the history of Kansas State. Literally their entire history prior to Snyder's arrival was the worst Power conference program ever. What he did at K-State is nothing short of amazing.

No. Snyder actually had offenses and that tends to get you mentioned.
The huge miss here is Evy and he should have been top 5.

This list is Wacky. They got Dabo way up there and no Captain Kirk. I felt my jaw dropping lower and lower till It finally got to Hayden. WOW.

If you look at the list of "voters" its so skewed with poor Big Ten representation. The little bit of Big Ten is full of the Northwestern Iowa haters group like Gary Barnett, Teddy Greenstein, Adam Ruttenberg, etc....Typical ESPN of playing to your audience....when Goober and Jim Bob hang on ever work in the confederacy.

I saw that and thought the same thing. Fry is #13 on the list of all-time wins. And shouldn't Ferentz be on the list somewhere? He's 53rd in all-time wins (3rd all time in the BT!) ahead of notable coaches on that list such as Pat Dye, Barry Switzer, Terry Donohue, Dennis Erickson, Chris Petersen, and Les Miles.

Integrated the Southwest Conference. How does that not get mentioned?

Same group decided 1985 vs michigan wasnt one of the top 150 games of all time (or the lsu capital one bowl)

It was then I stopped paying attention

Lloyd Carr is top 50? I really don't think so.
No way he's 40 spots ahead of Alvarez and Fry.
They never won a national title. Carr did. Why is this difficult? Not saying this list is spot on but we haven't really won anything noteworthy in those 40 years except split conference titles. Kirk deserves nothing with his offensive ineptitude

To be fair in the 20 years Kirk has been at Iowa he only has one Orange bowl victory in 09-10 to show for it. He has no out right Big Ten Championships and gets to benefit from playing in the B division of the Big Ten. Plus are these rankings taking recruiting into account as well? Ferentz has always been a lousy recruiter and has shown he doesn’t like to recruit out of his 100 mile radius of Iowa City quite often. Personally other than him being here for forever I don’t think he’s ever accomplished anything to be considered a top 100 coach of all time.

Reactions: Minn1954
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT