ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN

Sidenote

HR All-State
Jun 14, 2011
They did an awesome job. Watched on my iPhone every round, fantastic quality. In conjecture with track, I knew which match had the Hawks and my other favorite wrestlers and didn't miss a match while on vacation with family.

Agreed. Hopefully the rating have been decent so they have incentive to keep improving the product. They've come a long ways in the last 10+ years.

I still don't understand why I was unable to get it. Couldn't get it on the iPad out in the Caribbean. Had good wi-fi. Logged in. Everything was set, but couldn't get it to stream. I'm sure it was no fault of ESPN, but I remain perplexed. . . and obviously disappointed. Couldn't find anything about pop-up blockers, etc. It's a mystery to me. Wish I were more of a techie. Maybe next year.

Originally posted by WWDMHawkeye:
I still don't understand why I was unable to get it. Couldn't get it on the iPad out in the Caribbean. Had good wi-fi. Logged in. Everything was set, but couldn't get it to stream. I'm sure it was no fault of ESPN, but I remain perplexed. . . and obviously disappointed. Couldn't find anything about pop-up blockers, etc. It's a mystery to me. Wish I were more of a techie. Maybe next year.
Well, big shot, I think this is the first time you have shared that you were in the Caribbean. ;-) I do not believe ESPN3/Watch ESPN is available outside the USA. Might be wrong on that but it is a thought.

I may be mistaken, but I don't know if an iPad (or most tablets) are able to stream live feed. I know that I have never been able to stream and live feed on my iPad.
With that being said, I really enjoyed the coverage. the announcers, who may have shown some biases, we're very knowledgable and explained things in such a way that my wife was able to follow along

I still don't understand why I was unable to get it.  Couldn't get it on the iPad out in the Caribbean.  Had good wi-fi.  Logged in.  Everything was set, but couldn't get it to stream.  I'm sure it was no fault of ESPN, but I remain perplexed. . . and obviously disappointed.  Couldn't find anything about pop-up blockers, etc.  It's a mystery to me.  Wish I were more of a techie.  Maybe next year.

I think it has something to do with foreign IP addresses; I had the same issue when I was deployed to the Philippines a few years ago. I couldn't get ESPN or BTN to play.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I did have to groan, however, when during their "Top Plays" segment in Sports Center tonight, ESPN's talking head commented on Gadson's pin (the #9 Top Play)--"and Gadson wins, 2 - 1, with the pin." Obviously, he knew nothing about wrestling, or scoring, and just noticed the 2 - 1 score in the bottom corner of the screen (the score at the time of the pin).

I guess it would be too much to ask that everyone at ESPN knew just a little about the sport, whether they covered it more than one weekend a year or not. Oh well. Congratulations, Kyven--Dad is proud tonight, I'm sure.

This post was edited on 3/23 11:14 AM by augvol

Did anyone else watch the round table they had going on espn 3 during the finals? It had gable, gibbons, lee kemp, Shawn kenney, and billy Baldwin breaking down the action. Also interviewed some of the winners as well. Was very interesting.

i watched sessions I - IV on my computer (watchespn.com) and tuned in to trackwrestling ...also taped them on my dvr. i missed session V (but recorded it via DVR) , so i watched the DVR of session V prior to the finals. that sucked.

picking the matches that you want to watch (thanks to ESPN) via the internet may be better than being there live...

thank you ESPN

Fantastic coverage by ESPN. The streams were fast and looked good, they covered every match, and the PBP announcers for the different streams knew the sport.

Great coverage. I was able to watch every match the Hawkeyes wrestled on my computer so needless to say it has been a fun weekend. Didn't get the championship but our guys fought.

Originally posted by RDIETZ:
Well, big shot, I think this is the first time you have shared that you were in the Caribbean. ;-) I do not believe ESPN3/Watch ESPN is available outside the USA. Might be wrong on that but it is a thought.
Guess I forgot to include that bit of info, Dietz! I figured it probably didn't matter. (Thanks to all for the input, by the way.) Now that I think about it, we were in the same spot last year, and I was able to get streaming audio of Nationals on KCJJ.com. They didn't provide audio this year. Maybe it's different for video -- maybe you have to be in the U.S. for that. Anyway, it was sooooo close to perfect -- hanging at the pool next to the beach with the wi-fi going, sipping a frozen beverage under the umbrella. . . . The only thing that would have made it any better would have been Nationals streaming on the iPad!

I realize this issue is trivial to most, but I suspect other fans might benefit from figuring it out, and I'll probably need the advice next spring and beyond. If anyone has any more input to share on how to stream ESPN3 in the Caribbean, I'd greatly appreciate it! I might have to ask around at ESPN and see how it might be accomplished.

Gadsens pin made the ESPN top ten plays of the day and Steibers win made number 1. Great promotion for Wrestling.

I think there is some issue with international restrictions on broadcasting. Our Disney cruise had to shut down basketball games on ESPN despite Disney/ABC owning ESPN.

Yes, thanks to ESPN's "fantastic" coverage we got to see what every ranked wrestlers mommy looks like! We also missed Evans one and only decent shot against Brown in the semi's because the idiots at ESPN felt showing Evans mommy jumping up and down was more interesting than the actual wrestling...

Hoping another TV station picks up the wrestling, so we can actually watch some wrestling

Originally posted by bcdeputy:

Yes, thanks to ESPN's "fantastic" coverage we got to see what every ranked wrestlers mommy looks like!  We also missed Evans one and only decent shot against Brown in the semi's because the idiots at ESPN felt showing Evans mommy jumping up and down was more interesting than the actual wrestling...

Hoping another TV station picks up the wrestling, so we can actually watch some wrestling
Seriously? Without ESPN covering this, people wouldn't even know what the wrestlers look like, much less their families. Did they make a few mistakes? Sure. But I thought it was awesome having access to every round this year. And for the record, that was Brown's wife, not his mommy.

Yes, thanks to ESPN's "fantastic" coverage we got to see what every ranked wrestlers mommy looks like! We also missed Evans one and only decent shot against Brown in the semi's because the idiots at ESPN felt showing Evans mommy jumping up and down was more interesting than the actual wrestling...

I rarely disagree with anything you write, but I think ESPN did a wonderful job. As for missing Evans' only td, that's probably Evans' fault there. I mean ESPN probably thought they could break away from any Evans match to show the entire miniseries Roots and not miss any action.

Originally posted by Im4Iowa:

Yes, thanks to ESPN's "fantastic" coverage we got to see what every ranked wrestlers mommy looks like! We also missed Evans one and only decent shot against Brown in the semi's because the idiots at ESPN felt showing Evans mommy jumping up and down was more interesting than the actual wrestling...

Seriously? Without ESPN covering this, people wouldn't even know what the wrestlers look like, much less their families. Did they make a few mistakes? Sure. But I thought it was awesome having access to every round this year. And for the record, that was Brown's wife, not his mommy.
I rarely watch ESPN any more as far as Sportscenter or any of their "shows", but you have to give them MAJOR kudos for doing this, regardless of the "bumps in the road" (which will differ from person to person as to what those are). I used to go to Nationals on a fairly regular basis, and during most of that time, the only wrestling you could watch at home was The Finals. So if you wanted to watch, you HAD to be there.

Nowadays I find traveling for business or pleasure a major pain in the hind end (yes, it's an age thing I think). And because of ESPN's coverage for this event, I just take a couple days away from the office and sit home and watch any match I wish to watch. That's pretty damn convenient, and for those that can't afford to go, it's got to be something Sent from Heaven.

Remember there was a day when The Finals weren't even broadcast live, the 1st showing would be at 4 A.M. the following Monday (we're not talking about the 1950's folks). So to say it's come a long way would be an understatement.

I would also add I think it's easier to follow from home, than it is at the arena. And the view is obviously better. Yes, like any live sporting event, the atmosphere is awesome, the extra curricular events are fun, hanging with family and friends is great, etc. But now you have a choice, and it's a damn good one. Nothing not to love about ESPN's coverage, IMO.

Overall, the coverage was great.

Only time I yelled at the TV was when they were interviewing Baldwin for the entire first period of the heavyweight match. For god's sake, wasn't there enough down time between the matches to do that? A little PBP for a pretty exciting and active HWT match would have been better.

Also, and maybe it's just me, but I thought the post match interviews with the wrestlers were really awkward and uncomfortable.

Originally posted by Rudderless:

Only time I yelled at the TV was when they were interviewing Baldwin for the entire first period of the heavyweight match. For god's sake, wasn't there enough down time between the matches to do that? A little PBP for a pretty exciting and active HWT match would have been better.

Also, and maybe it's just me, but I thought the post match interviews with the wrestlers were really awkward and uncomfortable.
I only watched Gadson's and the interviewer kept on trying to direct it towards saying something about his Dad. A natural thing to do as it was a great human interest story, but I thought the interviewer was awkward about it.

I do wish any sports broadcast would go a little less on showing the relatives in the crowd, though, so I agree with a previous poster. It's overdone

Originally posted by Rudderless:

Nah, it's not just you, it's been that way from the start. I get they want to talk to athletes while "still in the moment", but it does seem a bit odd at times for sure. And I think most don't want that type of exposure, they want to wrestle and be left alone, not seeking the camera and the glory like many in other sports do ( I think guys like Kyle Dake love it, Ben Askren would be another, but they are the exception, not the rule, IMO).

My main suggestion is put the mat # at the beggining of the desription so we can tell which mats to pick when viewing 4 at a time.

It was Evans mommy that got shown in that match, not Brown's wife. We also got to see Cox mommy during his match walk back up the stairs.

I believe that most of the fans that actually watched the ESPN television coverage were already wrestling fans and fairly knowledgeable of the sport. I mean I don't watch the finals of the water polo tournament just to check it out, especially in prime time.

So my point being that 99.9% of wrestling fans want to watch the actual wrestling. Not Cox from Missouri's mother walking up stairs or Evans mother jumping up and down during a match. In a break if they want to show the fans fine, just not when the wrestling is going on

Originally posted by MVPFAN:
My main suggestion is put the mat # at the beggining of the desription so we can tell which mats to pick when viewing 4 at a time.
That would be great for sure. That part made it more difficult than it needed to be, and why wouldn't they just go in numerical order anyway? That would be helpful as an alternative. Really don't understand why it would be in a garbled numerical order. Maybe none of the techies are wrestling fans and don't understand the format.........................

(not bitching, suggestions to improve the great job they already do!)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT