ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN's John Gasaway Predicts Iowa will win the B1G Tournament

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
32 NCAA Division I men's basketball conferences will crown champions over a 9-day stretch that begins Saturday, March 5, with the Ohio Valley Conference tournament final and comes to an end with five leagues -- the Ivy League, Atlantic 10, SEC, American and Big Ten -- all determining their champions on March 13.

Who will earn the automatic bid in each conference?

ESPN's college basketball experts -- Myron Medcalf, Jeff Borzello, John Gasaway and Joe Lunardi -- issued their picks....

For the Big 10:

Purdue.............Myron Metcalf
Illinois..............Jeff Borzello
Iowa.................John Gasaway
Wisconsin.......Joe Lunardi

Full Story:

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
After watching how Iowa handled Dickenson last night I now believe it's possible but Iowa shot the ball extremely well last night. If they can shoot over 50% they can beat anybody but I still say Iowa does not match up well against Purdue or Illinois. The Murray twins are awesome and all but they just don't have the size to match up against the likes of Cockburn or Edey.

After watching how Iowa handled Dickenson last night I now believe it's possible but Iowa shot the ball extremely well last night. If they can shoot over 50% they can beat anybody but I still say Iowa does not match up well against Purdue or Illinois. The Murray twins are awesome and all but they just don't have the size to match up against the likes of Cockburn or Edey.

One thing I find interesting and a bit surprising: Over the last 5 games, Zach Edey has only averaged 21 minutes. Does he have a stamina issue? I am guessing he does not like the up and down, fast pace that Iowa plays ;)

One thing I find interesting and a bit surprising: Over the last 5 games, Zach Edey has only averaged 21 minutes. Does he have a stamina issue? I am guessing he does not like the up and down, fast pace that Iowa plays ;)
Purdue is a pretty fast paced team as well. But he seems to not exactly be the hustler that Garza was. And Williams appears to split time with him from what I've seen.

That is why if those teams play man, you have to space the floor and put them in ball screens. They are not able to guard them in the open floor and it would create foul problems for them.

Reactions: FWIW4922463
It's Dickskin😅

32 NCAA Division I men's basketball conferences will crown champions over a 9-day stretch that begins Saturday, March 5, with the Ohio Valley Conference tournament final and comes to an end with five leagues -- the Ivy League, Atlantic 10, SEC, American and Big Ten -- all determining their champions on March 13.

ESPN's college basketball experts -- Myron Medcalf, Jeff Borzello, John Gasaway and Joe Lunardi -- issued their picks....

For the Big 10:

Full Story:

I'd like to win the next game

Reactions: Sheahawk
Has he seen Fran's tournament record at Iowa...he may be simply playing the law of averages. This is the deepest and most athletic team we have had...and we actually play pretty good defense now. Hopefully the team builds on the past two weeks and has some success.

For the Big 10:

Full Story:

There are 6 teams that could get hot and win the whole thing. You just never know. A team like Rutgers, with their experienced players and toughness could go on a heater.

Has he seen Fran's tournament record at Iowa...he may be simply playing the law of averages. This is the deepest and most athletic team we have had...and we actually play pretty good defense now. Hopefully the team builds on the past two weeks and has some success.
Plus we have great depth so we can keep guys fresher for a tourney run.

For the Big 10:

Full Story:

4 different teams for the prognostics

I would love for us to win it and then give us a highlight of a grinning Steve Alford.
30499205.jpg

For the Big 10:

Full Story:

John Gasaway is a scholar and a gentleman.

Clearly does his homework and is the smartest man in that room.

I don't know about that ....

Dickinson ate Luka's lunch at times in their meeting @ UM last season - at both ends of the floor. The Murray twins made him and Diabate work very hard to score very little last night. Despite constant shoves/slaps-hacks as and after the twins beat them both with drives, the Murrays still scored at will.

I just think its too soon to write off the twins & Rebraca (& Ogundele) in their defensive matchups against opposing bigs like Cockburn and Edey. They and the team were not playing defense anywhere even remotely near as good in December - and early-to-mid January - as they are right now.

Sure hope we can get that 4 or 5 seed and have to deal with Rutgers/Ohio State/Wisconsin rather than Illinois/Purdue prior to Sunday.

I really want another crack at the Badgers.

I know what you mean, but I'd rather avoid them so Iowa doesn't have a team full of bruised nuts from Davison screens heading into the NCAAs.

Off topic, but I just found out that the WCC tournament has single, double and triple byes, in a 10 team league. 7-10 play in round 1. Those two winners match up with teams 5-6 in round 2. Then those winners match up with seeds 3-4 in round 3. And then these winners join Gonzaga and St. Mary’s in the semifinals. I wouldn’t mind this for a 1 bid league, but it seems pretty dumb for a conference that historically has two at large worthy teams and nothing else.

There are 6 teams that could get hot and win the whole thing. You just never know. A team like Rutgers, with their experienced players and toughness could go on a heater.
I think there are actually 8-9 teams that could win the tournament without surprise. As wide open as I can remember it being.

Reactions: HawkBall23
For the year he's averaging less than 20. Partial reason is they have Trevion Williams who also plays the position, and it's just hard for him to play many more minutes than that. He is sooo big, it takes a lot to get that body up and down the floor at a rapid rate.

Fester_lurch_1966_cropped_Lurch.jpg
For the year he's averaging less than 20. Partial reason is they have Trevion Williams who also plays the position, and it's just hard for him to play many more minutes than that. He is sooo big, it takes a lot to get that body up and down the floor at a rapid rate.
Lurch don’t move too good

Reactions: BurgHawk87
Damn STRAIGHT FRANNY! He was CORRECT!!! BEAUTIFUL!

For the Big 10:

Full Story:

FRANNY!

ADVERTISEMENT