ADVERTISEMENT

Etringer punt coverage

Great hustle. Come under control when you make the tackle. He’ll learn.
Great effort considering he just ran 50 yards to get to the returner before his dive, then to get up and chase him down after 90 yards was impressive. A lot of guys miss the initial tackle, that's how most big runbacks begin. You only notice when i's your guy. I didn't hear anyone mention how bad the defense was when Cooper ran his kicks back.

Thought this deserved its own thread and appreciation. It was a game changing play. (Refs somehow missed the block in the back against Taylor but I digress.)

Great shake from Martin. But.., All American effort by Etringer, truly. He’s going to be a great one.

As others have said, Etringer needs to get under control, break down his stride and make the tackle FIRST. Yes he relentlessly ran that guy down but it was after making a technique mistake along with the other gunner

And I think Tory was already sort of diving at the punt returner and maybe barely got shoved in the back or side. It could have been called I guess.

As others have said, Etringer needs to get under control, break down his stride and make the tackle FIRST. Yes he relentlessly ran that guy down but it was after making a technique mistake along with the other gunner

And I think Tory was already sort of diving at the punt returner and maybe barely got shoved in the back or side. It could have been called I guess.
Yes, and he's also the guy who whiffed downing the punt inside the five in the first game where Coop was out, and let it roll into the end zone. He hustles hard, but he has some issues bringing that speed under control.

Koen took a poor angle on his shot, but you absolutely don't break down when you're the gunner on a punt team in that situation. If the gunner is within 5 yards of the returner when he catches the ball, the gunner is supposed to execute a shoot tackle just like Koen did.

The rest of the return is on the other cover guys who weren't in their lanes and/or under control.

Lotta bad coaching and advice in this thread and on social media last night about this play.

Reactions: cmhawks99 and EBL#7
Amazing hustle, but also kinda sums things up when one of Iowa's highlites was chasing down a long punt return after missing a tackle.

Reactions: MitchLL

I am sure that I saw at least one illegal block on the big Michigan punt return. But only Iowa gets called.

Koen took a poor angle on his shot, but you absolutely don't break down when you're the gunner on a punt team in that situation. If the gunner is within 5 yards of the returner when he catches the ball, the gunner is supposed to execute a shoot tackle just like Koen did.

The rest of the return is on the other cover guys who weren't in their lanes and/or under control.

Lotta bad coaching and advice in this thread and on social media last night about this play.
Well from what you say then his mistake was a poor angle. I myself dont think breaking down your stride means coming to a halt, not what some of us have said. It means being able to move to either side and if you are 3 yards from the punt returner then that should be a tackle almost every time. It is just like a good basketball defender stance or a shortstop creeping in on the pitch who gets his feet spread and gets in balance to move either way.

It is just like a good basketball defender stance or a shortstop creeping in on the pitch who gets his feet spread and gets in balance to move either way.
And that is exactly what you don't want to do as the gunner on punt coverage, per my original post.

"Breaking down" gets you beat 100% of the time in that situation.

Reactions: MitchLL
HIs top end speed was impressive....looked like the fastest guy out there. There were more than Hawk that missed tackles.

We're left to compliment a kid whose missed tackle turned momentum in the game against Iowa?

Wow

I am sure that I saw at least one illegal block on the big Michigan punt return. But only Iowa gets called.
We got called twice. The umping ****ed us all game long. Constant holding. I beleive mcCarthy fumbled the ball,but they ruled he was in the grasp and play called dead. Then the fumble that wasn't that was blown dead. And that should have been a block in the back on the long punt retrun.

Could’ve saved himself a 90 yard sprint by making the initial tackle
Sure, a lot breakdowns on assignments all over on this play. Keep in mind he’s a RS FR that is only out there because CDJ is hurt. Just focusing on the positives here. From what I understand, Koen knew he messed up and took it hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT