ADVERTISEMENT

Evaluate the offensive line

The Deplorable Sleeping Dog

HR Heisman
Gold Member
May 9, 2018
What's the confidence in a starting line of LT Richman, LG Stephens, C Jones, RG Dunker, RT Colby. Not super deep with Elsbury and Mysklinski. DeJong might do in pinch at guard. Like to see some younger tackles moving past Plumb but Plumb has a lot of experience.

Barring injuries we should expect pretty good and improving line play this year.

• Haha
Reactions: hawkeye_power
My prediction is that some fans will freak out as they experience growing pains this year. Remember 3 have zero starts and no real playing time. They will experience ups and downs and if they can stay healthy, they will be very solid later in the year. Next year sky is the limit as all 5 starters return.

this team will only go as far as the OL takes them
if today is any indication it won't be to a bowl game

you have statue QB and cannot keep him clean and the run blocking was awful, most the yards were from extra effort on Williams part

center is a glaring weakness and there is little push

major problems

The O Line was beyond awful today. Petras was not good either, but Tom Brady would have struggled with this level of protection.

What we’re those grades they gave out in elementary school? Something like “needs work” which was the gentle way of telling mom and dad that your kid should be on the short bus.

Hey...they improved some over the course of the year but the reality is there just isn't enough talent in the group that is currently in the mix to think they will be substantially better at any time in the foreseeable future. We are playing several guys that just aren't B1G level competitors (no names needed-if you can't see it we shouldn't be having this conversation). Unfortunately, it doesn't appear there is any cavalry riding in to rescue this group unless we suddenly become adept at the portal. Tough situation.

Reactions: vamchawk
Plumb is a swinging gate on the left or right side. It's no wonder why Wiscy didn't want him.
I hope KP can play soon if he decides to come to Iowa.

Hey, did you see the sucker punch the Oregon player on the fan after they lost a three touchdown lead yesterday?

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
this team will only go as far as the OL takes them
if today is any indication it won't be to a bowl game

you have statue QB and cannot keep him clean and the run blocking was awful, most the yards were from extra effort on Williams part

center is a glaring weakness and there is little push

major problems
A prophet.

I have an honest question about Kirk's reply to the sack of Padilla in the fourth quarter. To my recollection, Plumb looked exclusively inside on the snap, allowing the edge, not sure if it was DE, LB or Safety, to jet uncontested into Padilla before he could even get to his drop back. When asked about this, Kirk said it was a blocking scheme thing and implied that read should have been on Padilla.

So just a couple questions for folks more informed than me...

One, is this common on pass protection, where tackles may look exclusively interior rather than all zones in front of them? If so, did Plumb expect help from a back? If Padilla should have read the D and known Plumb was going to focus inside... what would/should he have done? Audible? Adjust the back? TO?

I like Richman at LT, Colby at LG is a good fit. Jones has improved, like is quick feet but needs to gain 10 lbs, Steven's played better as the season progressed. Proctor at RT

I like Richman at LT, Colby at LG is a good fit. Jones has improved, like is quick feet but needs to gain 10 lbs, Steven's played better as the season progressed. Proctor at RT
Way too many snap exchange issues/late snaps all season long for Jones. His feet looked better as the season went along. One thing for sure, Barnett has to go. If there was any improvement this year it was microscopic.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
ADVERTISEMENT