ADVERTISEMENT

evanmiya.com transfer portal rankings

Lumas Etima

HR MVP
Apr 1, 2003
Evan Miya has an interesting ranking of the 1,048 players currently in the NCAA basketball transfer portal. You can find his rankings here.

I will let minds brighter than my own debate the validity of these rankings. However, one thing that I found interesting is that Joe Toussaint is currently sitting at #10 overall.

If that is anywhere near accurate, it might offer some sense of the quality of players who are in the portal, especially for those who drool over the idea of upgrading our roster through the portal. For the record, I happen to think that Toussaint is a very good player ... but if there are only 9 guys in the portal better than him, there probably aren't too many portal guys who would really be much of an upgrade over the players we already have.

And to be clear, I am in no way vouching for the validity of this particular ranking. Just offering it up for discussion.

Also, FWIW, Fardaws Aimaq comes in at #24 (third highest center).

That's pretty interesting. I wonder if Evan has actually seem any of these players in action.

Love Joe T. But the guy was the athletic version of an idiot savant. I watched some of the Purdue game in the BTT. Joe was at times brilliant, and other times you had to bang your head. I hope he gets it figured out and finishes his career well.

As for the portal, obviously a lot of these guys are looking for playing time. Stars don't look for playing time all that often.

It's up to Fran to sift through 1,000 guys and pick a couple that could help the Hawks AND want to play for the Hawks.

That's pretty interesting. I wonder if Evan has actually seem any of these players in action.

Love Joe T. But the guy was the athletic version of an idiot savant. I watched some of the Purdue game in the BTT. Joe was at times brilliant, and other times you had to bang your head. I hope he gets it figured out and finishes his career well.

As for the portal, obviously a lot of these guys are looking for playing time. Stars don't look for playing time all that often.

It's up to Fran to sift through 1,000 guys and pick a couple that could help the Hawks AND want to play for the Hawks.
That's really hilarious. You admittedly watched part of ONE game in the BTT and yet you are an expert on the players and their abilities. I think I will ignore your deep thoughts.

That's really hilarious. You admittedly watched part of ONE game in the BTT and yet you are an expert on the players and their abilities. I think I will ignore your deep thoughts.
Oh stop - I watched EVERY GAME Joe T ever played. I "re-watched" the Purdue game.

Reactions: RocknRollface

Evan’s rankings are based on his stats. Their not based on any eye test. His stats also loved Iowa’s roster this past year (had Iowa’s roster ranked 7th nationally), so his rankings will be higher for most Iowa players.

Most coaches haven’t seen their targets. They’re too busy scouting themselves and their opponents to watch ball outside their leagues. Their going off of stats on Kenpom, synergy, etc. Hell, Arkansas has been throwing out interest despite being knee deep in scouting their NCAA opponents up until a week ago.

It’s how guys like Nunge fall through the cracks. Played behind an all American, was often hurt, and Iowa played him out of position because they thought he was too good to not play. So his stat production was limited. But anybody who watched him knew he would be a difference maker if healthy (and he was).

Success for most teams like Iowa in the portal = landing the right mid tier transfers like Jack that didn’t work out at the old school. Which can be tough because there’s a lot to sort through in only a month or two. There are going to be schools who zero in on the wrong guy(s).

Joe is going to look a lot better wherever he ends up. Kinda like Nunge.
Joe was a starter at Iowa until he played his way to the bench. If he gets more minutes it'll either be because he gets his act together or he goes to a team that has no other options. I hope it's the former for his sake.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Joe T is a lot better than many on this site give him credit for. Great vision and quickness on offense. Great defensive ability.

Certainly struggled to slow down at times but if you look at his assist to turnover ratio, it was quite good. Greater than 2:1.

It's unfortunate that he's transferring because I really think he would have been even better next season.

Joe T is a lot better than many on this site give him credit for. Great vision and quickness on offense. Great defensive ability.

Certainly struggled to slow down at times but if you look at his assist to turnover ratio, it was quite good. Greater than 2:1.

It's unfortunate that he's transferring because I really think he would have been even better next season.
Turnovers are only part of the story. "Facilitating" is also a factor. Yes, Joe T would have some great assists now and then, but I also think there were times when he did not hit the open man in a timely manner.

There is no act that he has to get together. Keep riding Fran and JBo d*** though, they got us so far.
Right. WTF does Jordan have to do with this? He was staring in either lineup. Maybe you think Iowa should have benched him or not started Tony? Keep chanting that shit, won't make it true but if it makes you feel better, enjoy yourself!

Regarding whether Joe sees success, I guess we'll see, won't we ;) Either way I am hoping for Iowa and Joe to be successful.

Turnovers are only part of the story. "Facilitating" is also a factor. Yes, Joe T would have some great assists now and then, but I also think there were times when he did not hit the open man in a timely manner.
Assists are "facilitating." The knock on Joe that I would list is his inability to hit long range jumpers. Either 18 footers or threes. At times, his penetration would clog up the lane and stall the offense. Other times, teams knew they could sag off of him and make it difficult to get entry passes into the bigs. I did not find it egregious, though. Our offense was scoring just fine with Joe T at the point. When they made their Big Ten turnaround is when they started rebounding and playing better defense.

Joe averaged 3.2 assists per game which led the team. (In The next closest player was Ulis at 2.1 assists per game, Connor at 1.9 and JBo at 1.8.

Joe averaged 1.4 steals per game which led the team. The next closest player was Keegan at 1.3. For guards, Perkins was .9 per game, JBo .8, and Ulis .5.

He did that averaging less minutes per game than JBo and Perkins.

Joe is going to look a lot better wherever he ends up. Kinda like Nunge.

Nunge wanted a fresh start basically. He was injured every season at Iowa.

Joe wants more minutes and he may or may not obtain.

I watched a player for 3 years in another program. He played the 5 and wanted to play a different position. So, he transferred, and played the 5 basically at other school.

Sometimes coaches know what they are doing.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
I was a JoeT supporter. He had great energy and made things happen, but his play was very inconsistent. I would feel better about the team next year if he were still here, but I understand why Fran wouldn't guarantee him huge minutes and why he would decide to leave. I think a quality big who can especially defend the basket and rebound is our biggest need in the transfer portal, but I would also be looking for an experienced guard who can play either PG or SG. I am optimistic about Bowen and Dix, but whether they will be ready next year, especially Dix, is questionable.

Reactions: mooresville hawk
Joe was a starter at Iowa until he played his way to the bench. If he gets more minutes it'll either be because he gets his act together or he goes to a team that has no other options. I hope it's the former for his sake.
Problem is he DIDN'T play his way to the bench! Jordan Bohanan played his way to the bench and the idiot coach decided to bench the wrong person and only reason it looked good was because of Perkins 100%!!!

Reactions: topherchris20
Problem is he DIDN'T play his way to the bench! Jordan Bohanan played his way to the bench and the idiot coach decided to bench the wrong person and only reason it looked good was because of Perkins 100%!!!
Ah yes, the idiot coach made a terrible lineup decision that resulted in the terrible ending record to close the year of 12-3. Just awful really.

I think Perkins had a lot to do with the success, but JBo's play seemed to also pick up. Where I would probably agree with you is those games in which JBo was being totally shut down, and no one would argue that JBo is a better defender than JoeT. JBo should have probably gone to the bench earlier than he did in those games, but that is just my opinion and Fran knows more than I do.

Sounds like you should be a B1G coach since you have all he answers and are smarter than most B1G coaches and the best recruiter in the nation....Call the UI and submit your application. Tks

Apparently, Fran has been in contact with more players in the transfer portal than Phinisee and Aimaq:

Former West Virginia guard Sean McNeil has narrowed his options to six schools, according to Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports - Cincinnati, Iowa, Louisville, Ohio State, Texas Tech, and Virginia.

This could be a good trade for what Iowa needs for next year (McNeil for Toussaint). McNeil does not look like the defensive player or distributer as Toussaint, but should be a better shooter.

Apparently, Fran has been in contact with more players in the transfer portal than Phinisee and Aimaq:
200.gif

Former West Virginia guard Sean McNeil has narrowed his options to six schools, according to Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports - Cincinnati, Iowa, Louisville, Ohio State, Texas Tech, and Virginia.

This could be a good trade for what Iowa needs for next year (McNeil for Toussaint). McNeil does not look like the defensive player or distributer as Toussaint, but should be a better shooter.
Thanks for sharing. People get confused/don't understand how the portal works, in that if Iowa doesn't get a transfer, it must mean that Fran "isn't working the portal." I've argued before here that the competition for good transfers is now at least and likely more competitive than it is for good high school players. A big part of a coach's job is recruiting, so yes Fran needs to do more than just try if he's going to be successful. But people act like Iowa isn't even trying in the portal, and that's not the case.

Iowa's in more contact with transfer targets than we know, but that tweet says Indiana and not Iowa. Not sure if there was a typo earlier and Jon corrected, but don't think we are in on McNeil.

Iowa's in more contact with transfer targets than we know, but that tweet says Indiana and not Iowa. Not sure if there was a typo earlier and Jon corrected, but don't think we are in on McNeil.

I have seen multiple articles referencing Iowa, but I had not viewed the tweet that was embedded in the article.

I thought I heard TKake say in his last podcast that Iowa was looking at this guy:
Jake Stephens

So we're trading Joe T for McNeil? The portal gets weirder and weirder. 😏

Reactions: Mohawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT