ADVERTISEMENT

evanmiya.com transfer portal rankings

That'll be the next thing. Coaches colluding with each other/boosters to make trades via portal. Purdue could have traded one of their centers to a team that needed one in exchange for an white forward.

Of course, you'd have to get the players on board but with boosters involved I'm sure incentives could be made.

In retrospect, nonetheless. That's like doubling down on stupid.

Ever consider the factor of minutes per game and the fact that our assists leader only played 17?
No shit. Yes, I considered it and I wasn't talking about only him. When your team is high scoring like Iowa, a normal person would think 3 apg by your team leader would be low. Maybe it points out that it has been years since Iowa has had a true point guard. Many people on this very board have pointed that out and that's been one of Fran's
recruiting problems. You have to go back to Jeff Peterson and Bryce Cartwright to find one that averaged over five the last fifteen years.
I hope Bowen is the answer.

No shit. Yes, I considered it and I wasn't talking about only him. When your team is high scoring like Iowa, a normal person would think 3 apg by your team leader would be low. Maybe it points out that it has been years since Iowa has had a true point guard. Many people on this very board have pointed that out and that's been one of Fran's
recruiting problems. You have to go back to Jeff Peterson and Bryce Cartwright to find one that averaged over five the last fifteen years.
Joe was a pure point guard and would have easily averaged over 5 had he played Jbo's minutes. Can't rack up assists if you don't play. At 7.4, he had the 4th highest assist rate per 40 minutes in the entire Big Ten and was basically tied for second. That's not bad.

In a motion offense the pg isn't the only player getting assists - it it spread more evenly across all players by design. Iowa was 20th overall in the NCAA this year in assists, and Iowa led the NCAA in assist/turnover ratio. That is far more important than one individual getting his numbers, wouldn't you say?

really surprised to see Iowa included in McNeilā€™s top 6 mostly because I expected Ulis to transfer had Fran not guaranteed him the keys

really surprised to see Iowa included in McNeilā€™s top 6 mostly because I expected Ulis to transfer had Fran not guaranteed him the keys
Don't be surprised. They're not and I doubt that Fran guaranteed Ulis anything.

Last edited:
In a motion offense the pg isn't the only player getting assists - it it spread more evenly across all players by design. Iowa was 20th overall in the NCAA this year in assists, and Iowa led the NCAA in assist/turnover ratio. That is far more important than one individual getting his numbers, wouldn't you say?
Iowa was 96/358 in A/FG made. Not bad at all. They are usually higher than that but this year KE Murray was able to do what Iowa fan has been asking for for many yearsā€¦.taking his guy off the dribble in a one on one situation

Last edited:
To complain about Joe T's assist totals just points out the bias some fans seemed to have against him. Complain about his lack of shooting but his passing? Dude could distribute the rock.

We didn't need him to score a lot of points but it would have helped spacing on offense if he could have knocked down the occasional three.

He'll be a good one for WVU. I would not be surprised at all to see him lead the Big 12 in assists next season.

To complain about Joe T's assist totals just points out the bias some fans seemed to have against him. Complain about his lack of shooting but his passing? Dude could distribute the rock.

We didn't need him to score a lot of points but it would have helped spacing on offense if he could have knocked down the occasional three.

He'll be a good one for WVU. I would not be surprised at all to see him lead the Big 12 in assists next season.
I don't know if it's something against Joe per se. I think some fans just lack a fundamental understanding of how to interpret statistics when presented to them. There is also a subset of fans here who feel compelled to support the narrative that his leaving is not a loss. Those are some of the same people who argued that Joe was totally cool with it when he lost his starting PG spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: longliveCS40
I don't know if it's something against Joe per se. I think some fans just lack a fundamental understanding of how to interpret statistics when presented to them. There is also a subset of fans here who feel compelled to support the narrative that his leaving is not a loss. Those are some of the same people who argued that Joe was totally cool with it when he lost his starting PG spot.
Very few argued either of these points. I think the great majority of posters and fans feel that losing Joe is a negative, but also that there may be some good that comes out of it if Ahron and/or Dasonte can step up to fill the gap. And no player likes to lose minutes/a starting position. Joe put on a good face as a good teammate, but he had to be upset.

Very few argued either of these points. I think the great majority of posters and fans feel that losing Joe is a negative, but also that there may be some good that comes out of it if Ahron and/or Dasonte can step up to fill the gap. And no player likes to lose minutes/a starting position. Joe put on a good face as a good teammate, but he had to be upset.
Riiiiiggghhhtttt.....

ADVERTISEMENT