ADVERTISEMENT

Evans Appreciation

Originally posted by madmustang4:
great job and thanks for being a Hawk.
+1 the Hawks will miss having him. Hope he can dominate Crutchmer to go out on top.

Great Job?! In position to win 2 different times and you can't score is not a great job.
The same for Telford.
This senior class did NOTHING to help this team.
I guess moral victories and try-hards is what Iowa Wrestling is about now?
They don't deserve a NC.

Originally posted by OldHawkFan:
Great Job?! In position to win 2 different times and you can't score is not a great job.
The same for Telford.
They don't deserve a NC.
You seem like a grumpy old fart. Evans is a 3x all-american. Good job indeed!

It's not a moral victory. It's the fact that he's been a great hawk for us the last couple of years. Has he won national titles? No. Has he been a multiple time AA, while winning a large percentage of his matches? Absolutely. Give the guy some love, jeesh.

Evans isn't a thumper. If Iowa had a Steiber or Snyder or Martinez or two on this team Evans would be cheered for more as a great contributer to a National Champion team. However when you have a roster full of guys that can place anywhere from the top 5 to 1st day elimination guys, a guy like Evans is counted on to get into the final. Same can be said for Gilman, Clark, Sorenson, Brooks and Telford. Non of them are safe studs and all could have placed anywhere from 1st -8th. Iowa could really use a stud again. Metcalf was the last true stud imho.

Originally posted by Auger:
Evans isn't a thumper. If Iowa had a Steiber or Snyder or Martinez or two on this team Evans would be cheered for more as a great contributer to a National Champion team. However when you have a roster full of guys that can place anywhere from the top 5 to 1st day elimination guys, a guy like Evans is counted on to get into the final. Same can be said for Gilman, Clark, Sorenson, Brooks and Telford. Non of them are safe studs and all could have placed anywhere from 1st -8th. Iowa could really use a stud again. Metcalf was the last true stud imho.
60484031.jpg

Nice career (with one to go) Mike. I thought his ceiling was 3rd and he lost to the 2 guys that I thought were better this year because Kokesh got upset. He gave Brown and Kokesh all he had. Effort has never been an issue and I truly believe he gave the program everything he had. Hopefully his family doesn't read these boards anymore because he deserves better than a few choose to spew on here.

Feel free to call me a candyass for my soft stance for not expecting him to be a 4xer like some expect. By comparison to Mike Evans, I sure as hell am.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest:)

Matt McDonough did not impress you?

Originally posted by HawkTitan:

ec
Well the problem is Brands has to decide if it's better to grab two guys that could be multiple year AA's/ or Bust, or use the scholarship to grab one potential stud who can win it all and pick up bonus points along the way. Recently it looks like Brands has been spreading the scholarships out between several guys that may not be studs but guys who have the upside to AA.

Originally posted by moug:
Nice career (with one to go) Mike. I thought his ceiling was 3rd and he lost to the 2 guys that I thought were better this year because Kokesh got upset. He gave Brown and Kokesh all he had. Effort has never been an issue and I truly believe he gave the program everything he had. Hopefully his family doesn't read these boards anymore because he deserves better than a few choose to spew on here.

Feel free to call me a candyass for my soft stance for not expecting him to be a 4xer like some expect. By comparison to Mike Evans, I sure as hell am.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest:)
Agreed. 3 time All-American is nothing to sneeze at for sure. Tough out his entire career, and beat pretty much everybody at one time or another. Was a whisker away from being a 2 Time Finalist in reality. I do wish he'd had a little more confidence in his offense, once he got ahold of a leg, he was pretty good at finishing it. But that didn't happen and it is what it is. Fun to watch for the last 4 years regardless.

I think we got more out of Evens than could realistically be expected. He over achieved his talent. Great guy and a very good wrestler for us.

The same for Telford.
They don't deserve a NC.
Start your own thread to complain than. Evans brought it every single time regardless of being sick or injured. Thanks Mike

Mike Evans always fought and gave everything he had. And he was a 3x All American at a bear of a weight class. I'm sure he isn't happy with 6th place finishes but life goes on.

I agree that Evans always brought the most he had every time on the mat athletically. Kudos Mike. We all wanted more for you but you did more than 99% of these yahooz ragging on you who more than likely didn't compete post high school. Good luck with the next chapter of your life.

We will miss you Mike. You gave a lot to the team and showed a lot of heart. It has been said that a few of our guys have been wrestling injured, I can not imagine wrestling at this level with the intensity without your body at 100%. I appreciate your tenacity and devotion to the sport and the program. You will be truly missed. Best of luck in your future endevors.

3X AA is not easy, he battled every match. He was a missed call vs Perry and losing hold of Browns leg from being a 2x finalist. He made the most of the tools he had. A lot harder to crank over top college guys from top and he really had to work to get TDs. He battled every minute though and did more with less than many would have. His legacy is a lot more than a stach.

No talk of Evans finishing 6-6-6 in the last 3 tourneys? Mark of the stache.

Know you gave it all you had Mike..I'm going to miss you..
Also know you did not make your dream of being a national champ but you where a 3x all american you won 107 matches in the toughest weight class for the last four years,
Wish you the best in what ever occupation that you choose.

I'll say thank you to Mike for giving everything
he had every time he stepped on the mat.
He was a fighter.

3x AA and over 100 wins....great to have on
the team. Best of luck in your future
endeavors.

Mark of the stache......lol

I'm really gonna miss Mike. He gave 110% every time on the mat. He gave himself a chance to win in the semis, but just couldn't finish.

The same for Telford.
They don't deserve a NC.
3 things:

1. The above post is tasteless and bitter malarky.

2. Hats off to Mike for giving so much time and effort to the wrestling program Iowa fans love so much.

3. All the best to newhawsfamily and the rest of the Evans clan. Thanks for sharing your son with our program, and I hope all of you remain Hawkeye wrestling fans even though your boy's time as a Hawk is done. Please make sure he knows how much Iowa fans appreciate his efforts as a Hawkeye and that, apart from a very small minority who prefer to piss and moan at all times, Hawk fans everywhere wish him the best!

Originally posted by WWDMHawkeye:

The same for Telford.
They don't deserve a NC.
3 things:

1. The above post is tasteless and bitter malarky.

2. Hats off to Mike for giving so much time and effort to the wrestling program Iowa fans love so much.

3. All the best to newhawsfamily and the rest of the Evans clan. Thanks for sharing your son with our program, and I hope all of you remain Hawkeye wrestling fans even though your boy's time as a Hawk is done. Please make sure he knows how much Iowa fans appreciate his efforts as a Hawkeye and that, apart from a very small minority who prefer to piss and moan at all times, Hawk fans everywhere wish him the best!

Agree with many of the well-wisher's above.

The only regret I have with Evans.......is he doesn't have a little brother coming into the Iowa Program......
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by CFNiteHawk85:
Interesting short interview. Thoughts on battles with Logan Storley.

Link: Thoughts on Storley[/URL]

Interview with Brands there mentions "We gotta get the guys together and go up and get the second place trophy."

If the Big Ten photos for a co-title were pretty bleak, I can only imagine what this batch will look like...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Funny thing is that the Iowa program, for whatever reason, has never been real big on celebratory team photos. They tend to look pretty similar, whether we win the title or not. Probably has a lot to do with expectations and having been there so many times before.

Yeah Mike I seriously respect you and all of your fight and dedication to the University of Iowa. Going to miss you man

If you want to see the inspiration that Evans had on wrestling in Iowa take a look at the podium from every weight at the state wrestling tournament the last couple of year. The Stache became a cultural phenomenon. I bet there were at least 2 mustaches on every awards stand at the state tournament. That's all Evans.

Originally posted by whejoe:
Lol Evans drops the f bomb. A lot of good interviews on that link.
That was really funny. As soon as he said it you could tell he was thinking "oops".

Some epic battles, some big victories and some big almosts. Supportive family. Great stache. Good guy, as far as I can tell from a thousand miles away.

Tough as nails--deceptively tough...hard to score on, great scrambler.

What kept him from being a NC: he needed an unstoppable, go-to offensive move, and he never developed one; and he needed to improve and exploit his turning skills. Both of those factors would've given him a much-needed edge against top-caliber opponents, the kind of edge that puts you up 5-1 (or 10-1) with 30 seconds left instead of 1-1.

So he fell short of becoming a NC. He settled for being a 3X AA.

Hopefully he'll reflect back on his time at Iowa and be proud of the things he achieved and humble about the things he didn't--both of which will serve him well for the rest of his life.

Good luck, Stache.

Here's the essence of what I think about Evans: When Palacio of Cornell beat an injured Moore, and then mugged it up and taunted the Iowa fans during national duals, was there any other Iowa wrestler you wanted to take the mat at that moment than Evans? And he came through the way you wanted him to come through. He was a bada@@ and he was our bada@@.

He gave everything he had and I appreciate that. Mentally and physically tough - that's what I loved about Mike. Thanks stache!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT