ADVERTISEMENT

Eviction Moratorium Ruled Unconstitutional

If the government was going to do this, they should have set up a way to pay the landlords. This could be devastating to a guy that has one or two rental units that they are counting on the rent to make the mortgage payments.

I wonder how many divorces this is going to cause due to the financial strain?

You're still obsessed with him, aren't you? TDS never disappoints.
Who's obsessed with Trump?

goldentrump-1024x550.jpeg

ap21007067368664.jpg

Yay! People are going to get thrown out on their asses because their place of work was closed down due to the pandemic and there aren't other jobs available. Woohoo! Let's have a celebration at kids being made homeless!!!

This thread is great.

Are jobs really not available?

I have been looking for delivery drivers for the past 2 months, pays $17/hr and you just have to have a drivers license, I have had 2 applications in 2 months.

Yay! People are going to get thrown out on their asses because their place of work was closed down due to the pandemic and there aren't other jobs available. Woohoo! Let's have a celebration at kids being made homeless!!!

This thread is great.
Typical lib, only look at 1/2 of the equation. So you halt evictions, what does the landlord do? Nobody halted his mortgage, insurance or property taxes. All of the closures of restaurants, bars, shops etc. I never heard of states and cities cancelling their taxes, fees or licenses. Goverments are great at throwing out edicts but they don't care one lick how it affects the citizens. The only thing politicians care about is getting re-elected. Big goverment is the biggest evil in modern society, both parties.

This thread is great.

How many people have you sheltered in the last year? How many houses are you making payments on, and letting people live in for free?

What happened to that extra $600 per week people were getting, supposedly to help them pay rent?

The unintended consequences are going to be huge. Many, many people will be evicted, and finding that next landlord will be a lot tougher.

This thread is great.

Exaggerate much? What about the landlords who will lose their homes because their places of work have no rent coming in for them to pay their bills?

Reactions: BigDelHawk

I have been looking for delivery drivers for the past 2 months, pays $17/hr and you just have to have a drivers license, I have had 2 applications in 2 months.

$17hr = $34K a year...so, you only got two applications? Strange that people arn't banging on your door to let them in.

If the government was going to do this, they should have set up a way to pay the landlords. This could be devastating to a guy that has one or two rental units that they are counting on the rent to make the mortgage payments.

I wonder how many divorces this is going to cause due to the financial strain?

Exactly. It doesn’t matter which side you’re on, if the gov doesn’t want homeless people then they need to take the hit. Not force landlords to pay. It’s just not right. One or two months fine, but a 6 months or more, no.

Reactions: hawkifann
The unintended consequences are going to be huge. Many, many people will be evicted, and finding that next landlord will be a lot tougher.

I'm responsible for tens of thousands of rental units. Government regulations aside, we chose to halt evictions last March and have worked with people on payment plans, forgiving late fees, and taking other non-traditional measures to collect rent. If you approach the problem with humanity and compassion it's easier from both sides.

To your last point: as an industry, we used to take foreclosures into consideration, and they'd typically result in an automatic denial to rent. That changed after the '08 bubble. We still see them on screening reports, but they don't carry much weight. I suspect the same will happen with landlords looking back at evictions post-COVID.

All that said, I think there needs to be a two-pronged approach to help pay rent and not just expect us as rental owners to forgive it. The federal government has recently released $25B in rental assistance, being distributed to states. It's a bit of a fuzzy process as to how we actually get the money to help our residents, but it's a start.

Reactions: ericram
I'm responsible for tens of thousands of rental units. Government regulations aside, we chose to halt evictions last March and have worked with people on payment plans, forgiving late fees, and taking other non-traditional measures to collect rent. If you approach the problem with humanity and compassion it's easier from both sides.

To your last point: as an industry, we used to take foreclosures into consideration, and they'd typically result in an automatic denial to rent. That changed after the '08 bubble. We still see them on screening reports, but they don't carry much weight. I suspect the same will happen with landlords looking back at evictions post-COVID.

All that said, I think there needs to be a two-pronged approach to help pay rent and not just expect us as rental owners to forgive it. The federal government has recently released $25B in rental assistance, being distributed to states. It's a bit of a fuzzy process as to how we actually get the money to help our residents, but it's a start.

Commercial landlords are in a different situation than individual landlords.

Reactions: SB_SB
Commercial landlords are in a different situation than individual landlords.

We have debt service to cover just like the guy who owns three houses across town. When it comes to screening applicants we have far less leeway, so if we're overlooking foreclosures and evictions I have to imagine the small owner is doing the same.

This thread is great.

They didn't solve the problem the right way. Ends don't justify means.

If you can walk and chew gum the Amazon distribution center in Altoona will hire you.

lots of gas stations have jobs posted at 14+ an hour.

lots of small manufacturing places are looking for workers.

it is too bad the restaurant jobs where you can make some good money on tips are not coming back but these people need to accept it and move on.

you could work one of these jobs listed above full time and another part time and do ok.

Something doesn't add up with this story.

Reactions: dirtypool
Well, if people lost their jobs...

34K > 0

Am I wrong?

Liberals want a standard of living. They point to minimum wage as a way to achieve that. They don't seem to understand that a lot of people are willing to accept an even lower standard of living because they can live off the government and not have to work at all.

And you would have done none of that if you didn't need to do that. Let's not pretend those decisions were humanitarian....they were done because under this edict your tenants could simply just decide not to pay you so you got up in your feels to help them all with payment plans and no fees. How nice of you ...

And you would have done none of that if you didn't need to do that. Let's not pretend those decisions were humanitarian....they were done because under this edict your tenants could simply just decide not to pay you so you got up in your feels to help them all with payment plans and no fees. How nice of you ...

I'm sorry your worldview is so jaded. We made that decision before there were any eviction moratoria or HUD recommendations to concern ourselves with. Of course there was a business consideration to it; it's hedging a bet -- I'd rather collect some money than have folks pull up stakes and move on without paying anything, but our choice was made with the assumption that if we take care of our customers first the revenue side will protect itself.

$17hr = $34K a year...so, you only got two applications? Strange that people arn't banging on your door to let them in.
It’s actually $35,360 with normal 40 hour work week. Not to mention if there are any benefits; medical, dental, vision, long-term and short-term, retirement, tuition reimbursement etc. At many places you can’t just look at the gross wage one needs to look at the full compensation package. Oh and if you have another person in the household working its even better. But let’s pretend nobody can live on that wage because many do.

Bullshit it's not.

At least, in Waterloo, IA it is.
$17 in Waterloo is on the low end right now. You have John Deere hiring again $19+. Hydrite has 3k sign on bonus don't know starting wage but probably above $17. Target distribution center is $18.50 if you work in the freezers $19.90.

$17 in Waterloo is on the low end right now. You have John Deere hiring again $19+. Hydrite has 3k sign on bonus don't know starting wage but probably above $17. Target distribution center is $18.50 if you work in the freezers $19.90.

That's fair, and I am aware of those places and what they are paying.

I am offering $17/hr to drive a pick up around iowa, quite a different work environment I think.

I know what other dealers are paying for the same job, I am on the high end.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
People say how about amazing it is what Costco is paying, I pay more, and get told how cheap I am.
I was joking, in my post about a living wage. It was a reference to some people saying a business isn't successful unless they pay all their employees a living wage.

I have no idea what a good hourly rate is where you live, or any of that- I am sure my post took away from whatever point you were making, so sorry about that.

Maybe you have to advertise it better. I don't know.

Typical lib, only look at 1/2 of the equation. So you halt evictions, what does the landlord do? Nobody halted his mortgage, insurance or property taxes. All of the closures of restaurants, bars, shops etc. I never heard of states and cities cancelling their taxes, fees or licenses. Goverments are great at throwing out edicts but they don't care one lick how it affects the citizens. The only thing politicians care about is getting re-elected. Big goverment is the biggest evil in modern society, both parties.

This is hilarious. You, of all people, accusing somebody else of only looking at half the equation. Of course, in this case, you are on the wrong problem because I was commenting about how so many people in this thread were celebrating the misery of others, not about everything else.

BTW: maybe if the COVID relief bill (HEROES Act) that was sitting on Mitch's desk since May had been debated then those things that you bring up on the back end of your post would be addressed. I also expect that you are calling your congressperson demanding that they pass the current COVID relief bill, the one that has a 76% approval rating to be passed and a grand total of *checks notes* zero republicans have said they would vote for. Don't give me this "both parties" bullshit. There is one party that is preventing the government from doing its job right now and it's not Democrats.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT