ADVERTISEMENT

Eviction Moratorium Ruled Unconstitutional

Exaggerate much? What about the landlords who will lose their homes because their places of work have no rent coming in for them to pay their bills?

They need help too. Something that would have happened if the HEROES Act had been passed last May.

You guys do realize that most of the people that are going to be thrust into homelessness have kids, correct? Good luck going to school online when they don’t have a home. Besides, I thought we didn’t like activist judges?

Liberals want a standard of living. They point to minimum wage as a way to achieve that. They don't seem to understand that a lot of people are willing to accept an even lower standard of living because they can live off the government and not have to work at all.
JFC. This bullshit.

Reactions: RileyHawk
You guys do realize that most of the people that are going to be thrust into homelessness have kids, correct? Good luck going to school online when they don’t have a home. Besides, I thought we didn’t like activist judges?
Another great reason to open all schools again.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Really? Do tell.
Some of the oldest bullshit in the book. "Be Better", as one of the bullshit cons around here likes to say. There are very few people who "choose" to live off of "welfare" or whatever you want to call it. Mainly because you can't really live off it and if you're anywhere close to an able-bodied adult you can't qualify for it.

There are a large percentage of people who work (and it's getting worse with the "gig" and "you'll work when you're needed" economy) and qualify for public aid.

Next you're probably gonna regale me with some Reagan era welfare queen stories.

Again, JFC, this bullshit. I thought you were actually better than this. Some of the oldest bullshit conservative myths out there.

Reactions: Huey Grey
Some of the oldest bullshit in the book. "Be Better", as one of the bullshit cons around here likes to say. There are very few people who "choose" to live off of "welfare" or whatever you want to call it. Mainly because you can't really live off it and if you're anywhere close to an able-bodied adult you can't qualify for it.

There are a large percentage of people who work (and it's getting worse with the "gig" and "you'll work when you're needed" economy) and qualify for public aid.

Next you're probably gonna regale me with some Reagan era welfare queen stories.

Again, JFC, this bullshit. I thought you were actually better than this. Some of the oldest bullshit conservative myths out there.
You need to get out more.

That's fair, and I am aware of those places and what they are paying.

I am offering $17/hr to drive a pick up around iowa, quite a different work environment I think.

I know what other dealers are paying for the same job, I am on the high end.
OK after reading some of your other posts we probably are on the same page. There's more jobs out there then people realize. Your job doesn't sound like something people will do for the long haul. Like the places I mentioned. But short to medium term probably not a bad gig for $17.

You need to get out more.
The odds are pretty good you don't know a single person who makes their living without working the way you're claiming.

Oh, I know you suspect a lot of the random people you see when you "get out".

Reactions: RileyHawk
Yay! People are going to get thrown out on their asses because their place of work was closed down due to the pandemic and there aren't other jobs available. Woohoo! Let's have a celebration at kids being made homeless!!!

This thread is great.
Why should the landlord bear the burden? Maybe the government should cover the rents and spread the cost to all of us through taxes?

If the government was going to do this, they should have set up a way to pay the landlords. This could be devastating to a guy that has one or two rental units that they are counting on the rent to make the mortgage payments.

I wonder how many divorces this is going to cause due to the financial strain?
That guys wife should have divorced him for being an idiot a long time ago. You don’t buy rental properties if you can’t afford them without tenants paying rent.

The govt is basically paying landlords by giving it stimulus checks. But instead of paying their landlords for a roof over their heads, they are going to buy that 75” TV they wanted.

The odds are pretty good you don't know a single person who makes their living without working the way you're claiming.

Oh, I know you suspect a lot of the random people you see when you "get out".
Odds are you are wrong.

That's fair, and I am aware of those places and what they are paying.

I am offering $17/hr to drive a pick up around iowa, quite a different work environment I think.

I know what other dealers are paying for the same job, I am on the high end.

Exactly. It’s not like it’s a super tough job going on there.

If you want a $60K job (quote unquote, living wage) either pay your dues and work your way up like regular middle management people do, or go to college and get a degree in something other than underwater basket weaving.

OK after reading some of your other posts we probably are on the same page. There's more jobs out there then people realize. Your job doesn't sound like something people will do for the long haul. Like the places I mentioned. But short to medium term probably not a bad gig for $17.

It's meant to be a stepping stone into other positions in our company.

That guys wife should have divorced him for being an idiot a long time ago. You don’t buy rental properties if you can’t afford them without tenants paying rent.

The govt is basically paying landlords by giving it stimulus checks. But instead of paying their landlords for a roof over their heads, they are going to buy that 75” TV they wanted.

You don't buy rental properties unless your vacancy rate is zero? What kind of nonsense is this? If that were the case commercial real estate loans wouldn't exist.

You don't buy rental properties unless your vacancy rate is zero? What kind of nonsense is this? If that were the case commercial real estate loans wouldn't exist.
I’m not talking commercial real estate. Commercial real estate is usually run by a company with salaried positions. I’m talking a rental home or two. That’s what I gathered was the case from the comment I quoted.

I’m not talking commercial real estate. Commercial real estate is usually run by a company with salaried positions. I’m talking a rental home or two. That’s what I gathered was the case from the comment I quoted.
Both commercial and small private owners have the same problem - there are expenses to pay for taking the risk of an investment.

I gather nobody should take a risk to improve themselves then right?

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Both commercial and small private owners have the same problem - there are expenses to pay for taking the risk of an investment.

I gather nobody should take a risk to improve themselves then right?
You are putting waaaaaayyyyy too much thought into this. A wife isn’t going to divorce her husband because his management company is going to struggle for a bit.

But a guy who buys one or two rental homes as a side, should not do so unless they can go a long period of time without receiving rent. That’s called knowing the risk that he took. If he is going bankrupt because he can’t get rent for 6 months, he is an idiot that took too big of a risk.

You are putting waaaaaayyyyy too much thought into this. A wife isn’t going to divorce her husband because his management company is going to struggle for a bit.

But a guy who buys one or two rental homes as a side, should not do so unless they can go a long period of time without receiving rent. That’s called knowing the risk that he took. If he is going bankrupt because he can’t get rent for 6 months, he is an idiot that took too big of a risk.
You're not an idiot for taking measurable or calculated risks. If you own rental properties, you bake in a certain amount of vacancy as part of your business plan. Having the government stick it up your rear into perpetuity without any ability to counteract isn't foreseeable or measurable.

You're not an idiot for taking measurable or calculated risks. If you own rental properties, you bake in a certain amount of vacancy as part of your business plan. Having the government stick it up your rear into perpetuity without any ability to counteract isn't foreseeable or measurable.
Going a long period of time without getting rent isn’t foreseeable? I didn’t say taking risks makes you an idiot. But counting on rent to make mortgage payments on rental houses that are going to bankrupt you if you go a year or more without collecting makes you an idiot.

• Haha
Reactions: isufan21

If your stress test vacancy rate is 0% you’ve got some pretty big issues. I don’t know any lenders who would underwrite that.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Why should the landlord bear the burden? Maybe the government should cover the rents and spread the cost to all of us through taxes?

True. ^^ If that is the way to solve this problem, why did we not also allow people to go into a store, any store, and take what they needed and then not pay for it? Why put the landlords in such a place and not every other provider of a good or service?

That's ludicrous. ^^ Should one open a store and provide goods for free? Should one perform a service for another and be obligated by the govt to do so for free? Wow.

Going a long period of time without getting rent isn’t foreseeable? I didn’t say taking risks makes you an idiot. But counting on rent to make mortgage payments on rental houses that are going to bankrupt you if you go a year or more without collecting makes you an idiot.
That's correct. If you were in the business of owning rental properties, you would understand this current moratorium is not foreseeable. Rental properties do not sit vacant for long periods of time unless they are virtually uninhabitable. If you take a doomsday approach to investing, you wouldn't do anything outside of cashing your paycheck. You aren't a risk taker, I get it.

No, no it isn't. There was a signed agreement, a lease, that defined the transaction and effectively also defined the risk associated with it. Then...the govt stepped in and overrode the lease agreement, thereby radically changing the risk/reward equation.

That's correct. If you were in the business of owning rental properties, you would understand this current moratorium is not foreseeable. Rental properties do not sit vacant for long periods of time unless they are virtually uninhabitable. If you take a doomsday approach to investing, you wouldn't do anything outside of cashing your paycheck. You aren't a risk taker, I get it.
Lol. My portfolio from this past week says otherwise.

No, no it isn't. There was a signed agreement, a lease, that defined the transaction and effectively also defined the risk associated with it. Then...the govt stepped in and overrode the lease agreement, thereby radically changing the risk/reward equation.
Nope. There aren’t always going to be tenants. Therefore, there aren’t always going to be rent checks. That’s the risk. You aren’t always going to be able to fill the house as soon as a tenant leaves. That’s the risk. Bottom line, it’s a risk if you buy a property you can’t afford for yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT