ADVERTISEMENT

Ex-Plymouth County deputy who stole painkillers gets 40-year prison sentence

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
LE MARS, Iowa -- Aaron Leusink's addiction to painkillers started with one pill.
Prescribed hydrocodone after undergoing a vasectomy performed after his fourth child was born 11 years ago, Leusink said he took one of the pills to ease the pain as he recovered from the procedure.
"One pill that made me feel good changed my entire life," Leusink told District Judge Roger Sailer.
The high from that first pill led Leusink to take all of his prescription, then any unused opiates he could find from family members' past prescriptions. He later turned to theft, using his position as a Plymouth County Sheriff's deputy to steal prescription drugs collected as evidence and from homes while serving search warrants. He broke into pharmacies and stole more.

Former Plymouth County Sheriff's deputy Aaron Leusink speaks to family members before his sentencing hearing Thursday in Plymouth County District Court in Le Mars, Iowa. Leusink was sentenced to 40 years in prison for stealing prescription drugs from evidence, homes and pharmacies.

His secrets came crashing down on April 20, 2020, when a state investigator visited his home, asking about the missing drugs.
"I had to look my family in the face and tell them who I had become," the former deputy said.

He looked his family members in the face again Thursday, this time hugging, kissing and telling them goodbye after Sailer sentenced him to 40 years in prison for burglary, theft and other charges.
Leusink had faced up to 60 years in prison, and Sailer said the fact Leusink had sought treatment and has been sober since his arrest two years ago worked in his favor. However, the circumstances surrounding the crimes were "nothing short of outrageous," Sailer said, and the damage done to the integrity of the sheriff's office, law enforcement and the criminal justice system is not easily fixed.

"All of these crimes represent a gross, gross violation of the public's trust," said Sailer, who also fined Leusink a total of $3,195.
Apologizing to his former co-workers, the community and his family, Leusink asked Sailer for leniency, telling the judge he'd continue his drug abuse rehabilitation and needed to support his family, who he said would suffer financially in his absence, possibly losing their business and home.

"I've made some mistakes, your honor, and I fully understand the people I've hurt," Leusink said. "I'm asking you for a chance to right my wrongs but at the same time support my family."

Ironically, Leusink served as the department's DARE officer for nine years, educating hundreds of Plymouth County students about the dangers of drugs. Retired Sheriff Mike Van Otterloo said the 30 years he spent in office promoting integrity and trust were shattered by a man he had hired and had sworn under oath to uphold the law.

It's good to see police officers held accountable for their crimes, just like everyone should be. Beyond the number of different crimes that he committed - which it sounds like there were a whole lot if he was breaking in and stealing from peoples' homes, pharmacies, and the police evidence - is the reputational harm (and potential financial loss) that he caused to his County's Sheriffs Department.

The fact that he went to rehab is great for managing his addiction, but it doesn't address all the crimes he committed or the damage that he caused.

A ridiculous sentence to be sure. However it will probably result in only 5-7 years behind bars.

Sentence is far too long.

I’d say 5-8 for the crimes and 5 more for being a LEO; deduct a few for getting clean and rehab.

I get the play stupid games rule. But this type of sentence just shows how random some sentences are.
He was given the option of 8-10 years and moving to Ottumwa or prison...He chose the latter. It as probably the better option. Times are hard in Wapello County nowadays.
I read this on the innerweb.

40 years? Killing people in some degree results in less sentences than this. Just shows how strong these drugs are and honestly, I can’t believe they prescribed those for a vasectomy. I got mine, went home and iced my nuts three days and took some Advil afterwards, no prescription drugs. Was up the next day mowing the lawn and getting back to normal as much as I could.

That’s a long sentence, but he violated his position as a cop, which is worse than your average drug addict. He took advantage of his position of power to burglarize numerous homes and businesses. Send a message that is unacceptable from those entrusted to enforce the law.

Reactions: Ol' Dirty Bastard
Prison is for people were scared of not people were mad at. He’s a drug addict who became addicted after a shoulder surgery. He stole. He stole while armed. He stole while wearing a badge. But just a ridiculous sentence.

Another Plymouth County case was recently plead out. Who would you rather live next to?

Reactions: NoleinATL
Prison is for punishment as well as for protecting society.

LOl at all the weepy eyes because he was a deputy. He victimized a bunch of people. And, this is just what we know about. He undoubtedly committed more crimes. Half the weepy eyed posters would be saying the sentence isn’t nearly long enough if it were a non white ex LEO being sentenced.

LOl at all the weepy eyes because he was a deputy. He victimized a bunch of people. And, this is just what we know about. He undoubtedly committed more crimes. Half the weepy eyed posters would be saying the sentence isn’t nearly long enough if it were a non white ex LEO being sentenced.
Bull$hit

Punishment does not fit the crime unless article was missing something.

Even if a deputy... drug addiction makes people do abnormal things... and if that is all he did, then 40 years is way way too long.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
Bull$hit

Punishment does not fit the crime unless article was missing something.

Even if a deputy... drug addiction makes people do abnormal things... and if that is all he did, then 40 years is way way too long.
I’m not saying it’s too long. It probably his. I am pointing out how we view things differently. It’s very clear he polished up his story. Just one evil pill is to blame for all his misdeeds… He is a good family man… The guy knew better. He could have taken an off ramp many times. He will be out in a few years. If nothing else I expect he will quietly receive a release via clemency where others would not.

that's not worth 40 years.
I went to the academy with this kid. He was very likeable and funny. I haven't talked to him since we graduated, but hate this is how he turned out. What an embarrassment to our profession and he gets what he deserves. However, I've seen people kill someone and get way less than 40 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT