ADVERTISEMENT

"Excessive" celebration

A

anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba

Let's look at this rule again. The word "excessive" is a key. And, as all you linguists out there know, it's a highly subjective term. What is "excessive" to you may not be to me, so again we leave it to officials to make that judgment. That, obviously, is a huge mistake.

So let's look at Wadley taking a couple of high steps into the end zone. No NT guys around. The play is over. The high steps were a celebration of scoring a TD. So the question then becomes, "Was it EXCESSIVE?"

Had Wadley turned around and pointed at NT guys in a "Ha, ha. I beat you" kinda thing, that would have been "excessive." But he didn't do anything even approaching that. So the conclusion is, obviously, NO: Wadley celebrated his TD, but it was NOT "excessive." Yet the penalty was to take the TD off the board.

Now let's look at the NT receiver who caught the TD pass at the end of the first half. He deliberately taunted Iowa with his gestures after scoring and was called for "excessive" celebration. That was clearly the case. It was indisputable. But the penalty? Fifteen yards on the kickoff. WHAT?

And so here are the facts: Wadley's celebration--NOT excessive--takes a TD off the board. The NT receiver's clearly "excessive" celebration/taunting results in a 15-yard penalty on the ensuing KO.

Let's look at baseball for a moment. Batter hits home run. Flips the bat. Jogs slowly around the bases. Pitcher and teammates don't like it, but there is no rule against it.

But if baseball had the "excessive" celebration rule like NCAA football does, then the home run would be taken away, and the batter would be given a single instead, or maybe even returned to the plate to continue the at bat. Maybe, for some of you who are capable of objective evaluation, this would provide some additional context so it's easier to see how foolish the penalty against Wadley really was.

Let's take one more example from baseball: The pitcher strikes the batter out and proceeds to stomp around the mound or offer various dramatic gestures undeniably designed to show-up the batter. There is no penalty for that. But if NCAA football rules applied, the batter would be returned o the plate and given at least one more strike to penalize the pitcher for "excessive" celebration. That would be fair, right?

And those baseball examples apply to NCAA baseball too. Ask Rick Heller and his former home-run hitting star.

College football has more rules than the Supreme Court, and many of them are plainly asinine. So don't even get me started on that fumble out of the end zone touchback thing....

Let's look at this rule again. The word "excessive" is a key. And, as all you linguists out there know, it's a highly subjective term. What is "excessive" to you may not be to me, so again we leave it to officials to make that judgment. That, obviously, is a huge mistake.

So let's look at Wadley taking a couple of high steps into the end zone. No NT guys around. The play is over. The high steps were a celebration of scoring a TD. So the question then becomes, "Was it EXCESSIVE?"

Had Wadley turned around and pointed at NT guys in a "Ha, ha. I beat you" kinda thing, that would have been "excessive." But he didn't do anything even approaching that. So the conclusion is, obviously, NO: Wadley celebrated his TD, but it was NOT "excessive." Yet the penalty was to take the TD off the board.

Now let's look at the NT receiver who caught the TD pass at the end of the first half. He deliberately taunted Iowa with his gestures after scoring and was called for "excessive" celebration. That was clearly the case. It was indisputable. But the penalty? Fifteen yards on the kickoff. WHAT?

And so here are the facts: Wadley's celebration--NOT excessive--takes a TD off the board. The NT receiver's clearly "excessive" celebration/taunting results in a 15-yard penalty on the ensuing KO.

Let's look at baseball for a moment. Batter hits home run. Flips the bat. Jogs slowly around the bases. Pitcher and teammates don't like it, but there is no rule against it.

But if baseball had the "excessive" celebration rule like NCAA football does, then the home run would be taken away, and the batter would be given a single instead, or maybe even returned to the plate to continue the at bat. Maybe, for some of you who are capable of objective evaluation, this would provide some additional context so it's easier to see how foolish the penalty against Wadley really was.

Let's take one more example from baseball: The pitcher strikes the batter out and proceeds to stomp around the mound or offer various dramatic gestures undeniably designed to show-up the batter. There is no penalty for that. But if NCAA football rules applied, the batter would be returned o the plate and given at least one more strike to penalize the pitcher for "excessive" celebration. That would be fair, right?

And those baseball examples apply to NCAA baseball too. Ask Rick Heller and his former home-run hitting star.

College football has more rules than the Supreme Court, and many of them are plainly asinine. So don't even get me started on that fumble out of the end zone touchback thing....

We can argue semantics all day long but like KF said post game, wadley is too good of a player to even give the refs the thought of throwing a flag. The kid scorched NT for a wonderful touchdown...just run through the finish line without the theatrics.

Reactions: Underscore2
If wadley's TD was excessive celebration then half the TDs scored in the SEC would warrant a flag with how much the players act after the score. And for the record I have zero issue and enojoy the enthusiasm as long as you don't rub opposing players nose in it think need to keep the flag in the pocket.

the key here is "after the score." As silly as the rule is, it's there for a reason. The taunting was getting out of hand. The front-flips into the endzone, waving the ball at defenders, the Dion Sanders high-step, and the rest of it were turning fans away. Unfortunately, the rule doesn't really differentiate between celebrating and taunting. Wadley should have known that. Frankly, it was good it happened when it did instead of late in a tight Big Ten game.

Reactions: rivercityjazzman
It's a joke call period. Why give the ref leeway? Subjective or not common sense should reign. They should not be left off the hook for such a crappy call.
For example an Oregon player high stepped before the end zone last night and you can guess what happened. NOTHING!

Agree, not excessive. I touched on this in another thread stating to fix the rule it should be renamed as simply "Celabration."

I seem to remember a time when high-stepping into the endzone was almost celabrated, especially when done by a marquee player.

Don't know the exact answer, but less rules and more common sense perhaps?

So.......moral of your story is:

If you are going to say "Ha, Ha. I beat you", do it after you cross the goal line. Perfect.

Bear Bryant "act like you've been there". I say playing football, AND college paid for is fun enough!!

High stepping is the tamest possible celebration a player can make. It is the opposite of excessive.

This. When I think of "excessive" celebration I think of holding the ball out in front of your opponent before crossing the line, somersaulting into the end zone, or "showing up" a team in a mocking way. If I was as fast as Wadley I would skip into the end zone, and it would be almost involuntary with joy too.

If Wadley's highstep is an unsportsmanlike penalty then so is giving the first down sign after a catch, swinging like you just hit a home run after a long run or pass by the QB, or even a kicker knocking the ball through the end zone.

I saw all of those things yesterday and not one unsportsmanlike penalty was called. Only Akrum sort of high stepping into the end zone. Hell, the NIU db that returned a pick 6 high stepped or you could say they both strided high on their entry into the end zone but definitely not a penalty. It's sad how bad these refs have become.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
If Wadley's highstep is an unsportsmanlike penalty then so is giving the first down sign after a catch, swinging like you just hit a home run after a long run or pass by the QB, or even a kicker knocking the ball through the end zone.

I saw all of those things yesterday and not one unsportsmanlike penalty was called. Only Akrum sort of high stepping into the end zone. Hell, the NIU db that returned a pick 6 high stepped or you could say they both strided high on their entry into the end zone but definitely not a penalty. It's sad how bad these refs have become.
That's the biggest problem with the taunting rule, and with other rules in football and other sports: It gives one more subjective decision to the officials, who have enough to do keeping track of what's actually happening.

IMHO -- nothing to do with this specific case -- "excessive celebration" shouldn't be called on spontaneous actions, just on things that clearly are intentional.

the key here is "after the score." As silly as the rule is, it's there for a reason. The taunting was getting out of hand. The front-flips into the endzone, waving the ball at defenders, the Dion Sanders high-step, and the rest of it were turning fans away.

If fans were being turned away by that, then they weren't really fans in the first place.

Reactions: dbrocket
We can argue semantics all day long but like KF said post game, wadley is too good of a player to even give the refs the thought of throwing a flag. The kid scorched NT for a wonderful touchdown...just run through the finish line without the theatrics.
KF said what he has to say, because he knows there's nothing he can do about it right now. That doesn't make it right.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
The next time they call it on a defensive player will be the first time. Let me know when they throw the flag for a defensive lineman celebrating a sack. Ot standing over a guy they just tackled.

If wadley's TD was excessive celebration then half the TDs scored in the SEC would warrant a flag with how much the players act after the score. And for the record I have zero issue and enojoy the enthusiasm as long as you don't rub opposing players nose in it think need to keep the flag in the pocket.

Agreed, after seeing the call on Wadley, I saw another 50 calls go uncalled the rest of the evening, that I would have seemed worse than what he did. It was a joke of a call and the flag should have been picked up.

But honestly, the hit on the QB right before half was by far the worst call of the day out of a lot of really bad calls...

McSorley has a "baseball swing" when he throws a TD pass. I think in the same vein they should call that excessive and take away their touchdowns next week.

As one who favors control over excessive celebration (e.g. dance routines, etc..) high stepping when you're fifteen yards is not excessive celebration.

I'm guessing at least some of the refs had NTU and the under.

Reactions: terrehawk
You should be able to do what ever you want durring a live ball.

Taunt, do a flip, flip off the defender, its a live ball so its part of the game.

Any rule that limits what sort of movement the offensive player can do while holdind the ball should never be allowed.

It opens up a door to a level of intereference from the reffs that is just wrong.

What if that call was 30 seconds left against psu?

What if there was a defenfer closing that the ball carrier doesnt see and is able to strip the ball? Does Iowa get the ball back where he high stepped or does the reff then have the discretion to ignore it?

What if a spin move just looks too good? Do these ****s now technically have the authority to call that a penatly and erase the play?

Its the most asinine rule ever attempted IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: terrehawk
I am sure that the ref would like the discretion for throwing a flag on any player smiling after a touchdown (of course after reviewing for 5 minutes up in the booth). That's where it is heading boys and girls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT