ADVERTISEMENT

Execution

LuciousBDragon

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Aug 31, 2017
The American Southwest
We hear and will likely hear more this week that “execution” is where the team will be working on. And I agree, there were missed blocks on the O-line and Petras sailing balls and missing reads. Additionally, the line did not get much push (hard when there are 8-9 in the box) but there are some fundamentals the O-line needs to drastically improve. All this I agree.

However, we’ve heard from both players and staff that the offense is “complicated” and it takes time to learn. So if this complicated offense (that we’ve had with BF for 5+ Yrs ) is difficult to execute then why not change to something these boys can execute? They already admitted they needed to “simplify” the offense this off-season.

Is the offense too complex for this roster? Are they the right type to execute what the staff wants? Seems like it is a true NFL type pro-style offense but we only have 3-4 guys on the field at any given time that can actually perform to the complex standard.

Rant over - discuss.

Last edited:
We hear and will likely hear more this week that “execution” is where the team will be working on. And I agree, there were missed blocks on the O-line and Petras sailing balls and missing reads. Additionally, the line did not get much push (hard when there are 8-9 in the box) but there are some fundamentals the O-line needs to drastically improve. All this I agree.

However, we’ve heard from both players and staff that the offense is “complicated” and it takes time to learn. So if this complicated offense (that we’ve had with BF for 5+ Yrs ) is difficult to execute then why not change to something these boys can execute? They already admitted they needed to “simplify” the offense this off-season.

Is the offense too complex for this roster? Are they the right type to execute what the staff wants? Seems like it is a true NFL type pro-style offense but we only have 3-4 guys on the field at any given time that can actually perform to the complex standard.

Rant over - discuss.
Looked pretty simplified Saturday. Petras just overthrew and underthrew his receiver's.

Looked pretty simplified Saturday. Petras just overthrew and underthrew his receiver's.
Yep, and the play-calling wasn't bad. Petras missed badly on several throws that should be easy at this level of football. Two examples: first quarter short pass to Williams that likely would have scored a TD and fourth quarter middle crossing route to Wick that would have been a big gainer. Both were good calls and 10 guys executed their roles sufficiently. (Well, only nine guys for sure. Williams and Wick didn't have a chance to catch the balls, but they were in the right spots.)

We could start by getting rid of the offense under center by and large (except for goal line/short yardage). There is no good reason to run the I formation in the college game with the way the rules are set up with linemen allowed 3-5 yards downfield. There really isn't any quarterbacks coming out of high school that have experience running true play action either. Dump that and I'd bet we'd find a lot more success on offense.

The execution was so bad that it's impossible to blame just one player/position. That's on coaching. No other way to consider it, especially when players were so inconsistently bad.

I watched most of the 2nd half of the OH State - ND game. OH State has talented players, granted, but their execution on offense was light years better than Iowa's was. The oline pulled and blocked like Iowa's used to - it was poetry in motion.

I don't care if the line isn't the biggest or strongest line out there, I just want to see the level of execution that used to define Iowa's offensive line. It's a joke right now.

We could start by getting rid of the offense under center by and large (except for goal line/short yardage). There is no good reason to run the I formation in the college game with the way the rules are set up with linemen allowed 3-5 yards downfield. There really isn't any quarterbacks coming out of high school that have experience running true play action either. Dump that and I'd bet we'd find a lot more success on offense.
The only tidbit I remember reading on here out of one of the camps is that both Padilla and Labas were having trouble taking snaps from under center. Maybe it wasn't true, but it doesn't seem as far-fetched now. A cutting-edge staff needs to shape the offense around the players they can get, not try to mold them into a system that probably hasn't been drilled into their head up through high school.

The execution was so bad that it's impossible to blame just one player/position. That's on coaching. No other way to consider it, especially when players were so inconsistently bad.

I watched most of the 2nd half of the OH State - ND game. OH State has talented players, granted, but their execution on offense was light years better than Iowa's was. The oline pulled and blocked like Iowa's used to - it was poetry in motion.

I don't care if the line isn't the biggest or strongest line out there, I just want to see the level of execution that used to define Iowa's offensive line. It's a joke right now.
It is a stark difference between even what Iowa was doing in 2015 or 2016. Watch highlights of the games from those years and you can hear the pads popping when Iowa hands the ball off, guys in sync coming off the ball and blocking someone. I have no idea what I watched yesterday. It's so weird, as even 3 weeks ago in Kids Day, going against a very good Iowa defense, the o-line was coming off the ball and moving people. It gives some hope, but what in the hell was going on in the game?

Rant over - discuss.
Complex but ineffective.

Rant over - discuss.
Just a question, but if this offense is so complicated to learn, then why not add schemes more in line with the talent that is available?

Reactions: jhawk23
It is a stark difference between even what Iowa was doing in 2015 or 2016. Watch highlights of the games from those years and you can hear the pads popping when Iowa hands the ball off, guys in sync coming off the ball and blocking someone. I have no idea what I watched yesterday. It's so weird, as even 3 weeks ago in Kids Day, going against a very good Iowa defense, the o-line was coming off the ball and moving people. It gives some hope, but what in the hell was going on in the game?
I'm not sure what you saw on Kids Day but the day the B1G crew arrived they chuckled at the Iowa offense.

I'm grasping at straws I know, but hey, it's september and darn it I still have hope!

My hope is that the offensive line struggled due starting 4 guys in new spots (DeJong played mostly at Tackle didn't he last year?); Jones played his first career game at center, Beau Stephens saw his first action, and Colby played his first game at RT. The idea for me is that that hopefully they simply had first game jitters. At times they had their moments where they executed, but unfortunately those moments were few and far between.

They could start with all 11 players moving at the same time on the snap count. That is pretty basic and not too much to ask for IMO.
That falls on the coaches, inexcusable to have that happening. That should have been seen and corrected after the 2nd series (we should have been called for 6-8 false starts with how slow the snap was).

giphy.gif

It’s funny that we play a basic defense so we can play fast…. But bog our offense down

The only tidbit I remember reading on here out of one of the camps is that both Padilla and Labas were having trouble taking snaps from under center. Maybe it wasn't true, but it doesn't seem as far-fetched now. A cutting-edge staff needs to shape the offense around the players they can get, not try to mold them into a system that probably hasn't been drilled into their head up through high school.
This stems back to KOK, one of the clinics i attended KOK stated "getting these guys under center is hard, most never take snaps under center in HS". Tate and the others said they took exactly ZERO snaps under center in HS...

This stems back to KOK, one of the clinics i attended KOK stated "getting these guys under center is hard, most never take snaps under center in HS". Tate and the others said they took exactly ZERO snaps under center in HS...
If a QB gets beyond college and he still can't take snaps under center, he's not going to make it in the league.

Doesn't seem true about snaps under center. Didn't Padilla start and play a lot of 3 games last year. I don't remember any muffed snaps in those games.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
If a QB gets beyond college and he still can't take snaps under center, he's not going to make it in the league.
what if their aspirations are to play college ball then move on with life? Only a very small % make pro.

what if their aspirations are to play college ball then move on with life? Only a very small % make pro.
Then it probably won't matter if they are playing for a coaching staff that doesn't coach that style of offense. That's not Iowa, and every kid who comes here knows that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT