ADVERTISEMENT

Exercise Plan for Out of Shape People

I’m also 6’2”... I’m not sure I could get down to 198 and be overly healthy looking. 142 I’m pretty sure is physically impossible for my body sans removing both my legs.

I actually have pretty big shoulders and what not. 142 and I would probably die. If I get to anywhere in the 180s I will be pretty lean. I got down to 174 when I was vegan for a while, and I didn’t look well.

I have lost 20 some pounds recently without working out but I have been active and having many sexual relations with many attractive female humans. So I recommend that.

According to a BMI calculator I am still overweight at 6'2 and 198. Looks like I can get down to 142 and still be on the healthy range so that is my goal. Those BMI calculators are hilarious.
6' 2" - 142? Are you kidding?

Pic of future self.

51PrVg4DUzL._AC_SX569_.jpg

You absolutely can - its a matter of priority, if its not a priority for you, you wont do it.
Looking at your diet and cutting our caloric drinks and processed sugars is the easiest (and very effective) thing you can do. Start there. Then walk - walk a block for a week, then walk two. You can't exercise your way out of a poor diet.

Another often overlooked tip is spend a week or two measuring and tracking your caloric intake. What weve come to accept to as a portion in the US is just ridiculous. Spend $20 and get a digital scale from amazon so you can weigh your portions so you know the true intake.

Last edited:
I actually have pretty big shoulders and what not. 142 and I would probably die. If I get to anywhere in the 180s I will be pretty lean. I got down to 174 when I was vegan for a while, and I didn’t look well.
Yeah, those BMI calculators are bs. My stepbrother, when he was in the Army, was told he was obese and had to go on a special program to lose weight. He was most likely 10% body fat and a ball of muscle.

Im 6'3" and 220 and relatively fit for a 40 something, I exercise 100 mins a day, 6 days a week. 200 is my ideal weight in a perfect world, where Id be ripped with a 6 pack. If I drop below 185, I start looking like a cancer patient and people will actually ask me if everything is ok.

My bmi at 6'3" 200 lbs is considered overweight. Ridiculous.

I've never been much of a workout person, but I've always managed to keep my weight in check although it would routinely have 20 lb swings. However as I'm getting older, and especially after going through cancer recovery and now trying to work full time and do grad school at night, I've gained an extremely large amount of weight and am at least 40 lbs heavier than I should be if not more. I get winded simply walking now, everything hurts (Probably from sitting all day), and I've got to do something. I've never been over 230 before and the scale had me at 245 the other day.

I've got to do something, but everytime I try to start I wind up injuring myself somehow. So I realize maybe I need to start slower, trying to go straight to running a 5K isn't the best option. I'd like something that I can actually stick too (Going to a gym right now and working out with a trainer just isn't going to happen due to time and money) and often I can't stick with a routine. So I'm looking for something I can easily do at home, that's not likely to injure me, and something I can stick to for 30 days or so until I regain cardio, get some weight off, and start feeling better at which point I think I can likely push for something a bit more strenuous.

So, any recommendations on what someone in my condition should consider?
I feel your pain.

I'm 67, grossly overweight with arthritic knees.

I have always hated exercising just to exercise. In my younger days, I would play basketball, softball, golf, do yardwork - for hours on end and enjoyed it. Simply exercising has always been difficult for me.

Desperately need to diet, but can't find one that is somewhat convenient and has good food. Did Nutri-systems for a while and lost weight, but hated the food. I KNOW people lose weight at my age, but it sure would have been easier when I was younger. I always thought I would get around to it - didn't plan on knee pain.

So, now I am actually doing some PT to gain some strength to take some pressure off the knees. It feels like I am digging for a swimming pool with a teaspoon, but I'll keep it going.

Monday was my first Aqua Therapy session (in the pool). You exercise in the water and it seems pretty easy ... until you get out of the pool and feel all your weight again. I think swimming or pool exercises could be a winner for me.

Good luck!

I feel your pain.

I'm 67, grossly overweight with arthritic knees.

I have always hated exercising just to exercise. In my younger days, I would play basketball, softball, golf, do yardwork - for hours on end and enjoyed it. Simply exercising has always been difficult for me.

Desperately need to diet, but can't find one that is somewhat convenient and has good food. Did Nutri-systems for a while and lost weight, but hated the food. I KNOW people lose weight at my age, but it sure would have been easier when I was younger. I always thought I would get around to it - didn't plan on knee pain.

So, now I am actually doing some PT to gain some strength to take some pressure off the knees. It feels like I am digging for a swimming pool with a teaspoon, but I'll keep it going.

Monday was my first Aqua Therapy session (in the pool). You exercise in the water and it seems pretty easy ... until you get out of the pool and feel all your weight again. I think swimming or pool exercises could be a winner for me.

Good luck!
Pool exercises are great for those with injuries or mobility issues. There was an older fella, probably in his 70s that was at least 75 lbs overweight. I would see him in the pool 5 times a week, 7am. It was annoying at first cause he would hop along, from side to side without a damn, and would get in the way when I was doing laps. I couldn't get mad at him though, cause I respected the hell out of him for getting in the work. After a bit, we would time it out where we could both move at the same time. I would speed up or slow down depending on where he was, and him also. Basically giving us some hiit work in the process. It was like poetry in motion. He ended up losing over 50 lbs in 6 months just from 30 mins bouncing around the pool and cutting out beer during the week.

Do intermittent fasting if you just want to look great with your clothes off. That plus P90X has been my secret to success.
I used to be a wrestler and did IF not knowing that was a thing 30+ years ago. Also OMPD, one meal per day, is great once you get to that point. You can feel your body burning calories with the hunger pains. Also read the Obesity Code, great book that explains how your mind and body trick you to gain weight back that you lost and have to fight yourself. It's kind of like being a member of Fight Club. Now go kick a$$ if you want it you can do it!.

Reactions: Moral
I have lost 40 lbs since Jan 1.

Diet - I went with a low carb diet. It's not a high fat Atkins like diet, it's just cutting out carbs while still eating somewhat healthy, lots of salads an low carb wrap sandwiches.

Exercise - I set a goal of 270 activity minutes per week. A lot of that is hitting the elliptical for 60 minutes a day (725 calories). Also, now that it's finally nice out I golf several times a week, walking 9 holes is 3.6 to 3.9 miles and burns about 950 calories. Now that I've cut some weight I've started running. Example, yesterday I walked 9 holes (968 calories) and then ran two miles in the evening (370 calories).

Alcohol - I still drink as much as I want.

Have lost on average 2 lbs a week doing this and plan to continue until I lose 40 more and then maintain doing the same thing.

OP, if you can't afford the gym (elliptical is a great low impact cardio workout) then you just need to get up and move. Walk, walk, walk, ride a bike. At least 5 out of 7 days a week.

Hal Higdon's Couch to 5k

-Pick a C25K (couch to 5k) app and DO NOT push the timeline of the protocol, heck you could do each week 2x before progressing.

-stick to some kind of comprehensive stretching program (yoga?)

-strengthen your core, abs, trunk extensors, scapular stabilizers (yoga?)

-Don’t drink calories

Reactions: goldmom
I'm old and can't run anymore. Just bought a rowing machine.
Rowing is a big time workout.
Ladies I work with talk highly about their “ergs”.
They also row competitively, so likely they bought good gear.
What did you get?

Rowing is a big time workout.
Ladies I work with talk highly about their “ergs”.
They also row competitively, so likely they bought good gear.
What did you get?
I picked up a WaterRower Club used from Facebook. Got it about half off. Even if I never use it it will make a pretty thing to hand clothes on.

I've never been much of a workout person, but I've always managed to keep my weight in check although it would routinely have 20 lb swings. However as I'm getting older, and especially after going through cancer recovery and now trying to work full time and do grad school at night, I've gained an extremely large amount of weight and am at least 40 lbs heavier than I should be if not more. I get winded simply walking now, everything hurts (Probably from sitting all day), and I've got to do something. I've never been over 230 before and the scale had me at 245 the other day.

I've got to do something, but everytime I try to start I wind up injuring myself somehow. So I realize maybe I need to start slower, trying to go straight to running a 5K isn't the best option. I'd like something that I can actually stick too (Going to a gym right now and working out with a trainer just isn't going to happen due to time and money) and often I can't stick with a routine. So I'm looking for something I can easily do at home, that's not likely to injure me, and something I can stick to for 30 days or so until I regain cardio, get some weight off, and start feeling better at which point I think I can likely push for something a bit more strenuous.

Move to Ottumwa and pick up a meth habit. 100% weight loss success rate!

• Haha
Reactions: kc78

You walk...and walk and walk some more! Walk fast if you can a couple of days a week....Cut back on red meats when possible....drink one less cup of coffee a day and one more glass of water a day....Make sure your BP is under control.....watch your salt and sugar intake.....More fruits and veggies....and then walk some more....Enjoy a GLASS of red wine daily....You will never have to see a doctor once you got things going...And remember the words of Pops Fisher......"No booze! No booze!!" (altho I think that is extreme, if you need to cut back on the booze and/or beer.) Cigarettes are really bad for you, too.

Biggest thing and probably already been said numerous times, but you can’t outwork a bad food lifestyle.

You walk...and walk and walk some more! Walk fast if you can a couple of days a week....Cut back on red meats when possible....drink one less cup of coffee a day and one more glass of water a day....Make sure your BP is under control.....watch your salt and sugar intake.....More fruits and veggies....and then walk some more....Enjoy a GLASS of red wine daily....You will never have to see a doctor once you got things going...And remember the words of Pops Fisher......"No booze! No booze!!" (altho I think that is extreme, if you need to cut back on the booze and/or beer.) Cigarettes are really bad for you, too.
I rarely drink, never smoke. But I do sit all day long. I think the idea of trying to get some walks in multiple times a day, replace sugary snacks with fruit, stop eating fried foods, and drink some more water might be a livable approach.

I rarely drink, never smoke. But I do sit all day long. I think the idea of trying to get some walks in multiple times a day, replace sugary snacks with fruit, stop eating fried foods, and drink some more water might be a livable approach.
Walking is the BEST most natural exercise a man can do.......Man was made to walk. Walking involves all of a human's systems and joints! It is cheap, too!

5 weightlifting exercises I recommend.
Use low weights and high reps. Something like 3 sets and 10 reps per. set. Or do them to your fitness level.
Bench press
Deadlift
Barbell bent over high row
Lunges
Box squats

Reactions: ClarindaA's

Maybe try writing down everything you eat for 10 days?

You'll probably be shocked at how much you're eating.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
My Fitness Pal is an excellent app for tracking calories. The premium subscription also has meal plans, exercise plans and mental health assistance. The killer motivator is doing the weigh with photo....

I'm lame and still do Beach Body at home. But this year has been a struggle.
Beachbody on demand is actually great value for the money. Many programs do require some equipment but usually free weights or even exercise bands will get the job done. Key is to start with their basic programs and work your way up to the more advanced stuff.

for me working out at home removes many of the reasons people fail - no drive to the gym, no issues with trainers, you can do these programs while traveling etc.

Net net this, combined with a calorie tracking app is a great solution for OP.

Eat one meal a day. I was 244 on March 1 and decided to do the OMAD and I do Keto with it (no carbs) and this morning I weighed 211.

my wife thinks that I should be drained energy wise and it’s the furthest from the truth, I go out in this Texas heat and run 5 miles every other day.

Just one man’s opinion but it works for me as I haven’t found a faster way to drop weight and not be miserable. This isn’t bad at all.

I have lost 40 lbs since Jan 1.

Diet - I went with a low carb diet. It's not a high fat Atkins like diet, it's just cutting out carbs while still eating somewhat healthy, lots of salads an low carb wrap sandwiches.

Exercise - I set a goal of 270 activity minutes per week. A lot of that is hitting the elliptical for 60 minutes a day (725 calories). Also, now that it's finally nice out I golf several times a week, walking 9 holes is 3.6 to 3.9 miles and burns about 950 calories. Now that I've cut some weight I've started running. Example, yesterday I walked 9 holes (968 calories) and then ran two miles in the evening (370 calories).

Alcohol - I still drink as much as I want.

Have lost on average 2 lbs a week doing this and plan to continue until I lose 40 more and then maintain doing the same thing.

OP, if you can't afford the gym (elliptical is a great low impact cardio workout) then you just need to get up and move. Walk, walk, walk, ride a bike. At least 5 out of 7 days a week.

Hal Higdon's Couch to 5k

I’m glad the diet is working for you, and congratulations on losing all that weight.

However, unless you’re like 800 pounds your calories burned are way off.

A 300# man walking very quickly for 3.5 miles will burn about 500 calories.

A 240# man on the toughest elliptical resistance will burn 560 calories in an hour.

I have lost 20 some pounds recently without working out but I have been active and having many sexual relations with many attractive female humans. So I recommend that.

According to a BMI calculator I am still overweight at 6'2 and 198. Looks like I can get down to 142 and still be on the healthy range so that is my goal. Those BMI calculators are hilarious.
Pics of them and you?!

I haven't read any of this thread.

My suggestion to you is lower your carbs. Walk. Drinks lots of water and eat 5 small meals a day.

I would suggest not taking the 'drink a lot of water' approach you keep seeing in this thread without first getting your salt intake under control. Salt absorbs water and the more salt you're eating, the more water weight you're keeping on.

And when I say get the salt intake under control, I mean be militant to address it on a daily basis, meal by meal level.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers

It’s 90% diet. I hate counting calories so what works for me is a diet of meat, eggs, fruits vegetables and nuts. No dairy, no grains, no chips, no cereal, no soda, no pasta, no bread, no sugar, no alcohol. None.

1. Purchase and read the book: Younger Next Year
2. Look up your local F3 chapter, post for a workout and never look back

I would suggest not taking the 'drink a lot of water' approach you keep seeing in this thread without first getting your salt intake under control. Salt absorbs water and the more salt you're eating, the more water weight you're keeping on.

And when I say get the salt intake under control, I mean be militant to address it on a daily basis, meal by meal level.
Water weight is a definite bitch if you're weighing yourself daily. I've had swings up to 10 lbs from morning to noon just by eating an apple and drinking a liter of water. The trick is to weigh in, first thing in the morning, post piss/poop every other day. Keep a chart, but highlight one day a week instead of every day. The daily fluctuations will drive you mad, it's the clothes that tell the truth. Once the tight pants start to slightly fall off the waist and you need a belt.

Last edited:
It’s 90% diet. I hate counting calories so what works for me is a diet of meat, eggs, fruits vegetables and nuts. No dairy, no grains, no chips, no cereal, no soda, no pasta, no bread, no sugar, no alcohol. None.
Counting calories sucks, but I recommend counting calories for a week or two. The hardest part is knowing how much you can eat at a deficit and then adjusting your body to those daily calories. Once you get a good feel for the calories you should be eating, then you can kinda estimate it. The body was made to fast and go through periods of eating less. You just have to slowly ease and adjust to it.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
there is no routine that is easy. If You have that mindset you can forget about losing the amount of weight that you want to lose. Sorry its the truth.

If you want to do something that will not tax you physically start and end with your diet. Google it. Follow it. It will tax you mentally. It will take a lot of time to prepare and eat the right foods. There is no avoiding this. Drink a lot of water. A lot. Especially when you eat. More than you feel is enough.

Walk 30 minutes every day and go from there.

If you want to really kill it it will require some pain both mentally and physically.

Eat less and burn more. Its that simple. Anything different is bullshit.

Water weight is a definite bitch if you're weighing yourself daily. I've had swings up to 10 lbs from morning to noon just by eating an apple and drinking a liter of water. The trick is to weigh in, first thing in the morning, post piss/poop every other day. Keep a chart, but highlight one day a week instead of every day. The daily fluctuations will drive you mad, it's the clothes that tell the truth. Once the tight pants start to slightly fall off the waist and you need a belt.

I'm maniacal about it. If i'm a pound over in the morning, i won't eat or drink anything until i've pissed that pound out, otherwise I think you're just making an exception to keep the water weight on. 95% of the time, it's not an issue in the morning

Reactions: HawkFan1298

Walk, lift weights using the machines at first, count calories

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT