ADVERTISEMENT

Exhibit A: Why you don't sign a 32 year old pitcher to a 7-year, $250 Million Deal

There are some teams that no longer consider any
contract that is for more than 5 years. It is a very
prudent approach to financial management.

However, Starting pitcher Gerritt Cole signed a 9
year contract worth $324 million with the NY Yankees
last Winter. Pitchers are fragile and it is doubtful
that Cole will still be pitching 9 years from now.

Yep that way my take too.
That's ancient thinking: pay a player for WHAT THEY HAVE DONE instead of what they can do. He was already paid for being an all-timer in the Nats franchise arc. That is no reason to pay him for being a constant IL casualty for many years.

Without question, in 4-5 years, they will be lamenting his contract as it limits their ability to sign/resign talent like Soto, etc. See the Phillies and Tigers as franchises hamstrung for many years by operating with such methodology.

That's ancient thinking: pay a player for WHAT THEY HAVE DONE instead of what they can do. He was already paid for being an all-timer in the Nats franchise arc. That is no reason to pay him for being a constant IL casualty for many years.
He had a good several year stretch think he'll come back strong and give them several damn good years.

There are some teams that no longer consider any
contract that is for more than 5 years. It is a very
prudent approach to financial management.

However, Starting pitcher Gerritt Cole signed a 9
year contract worth $324 million with the NY Yankees
last Winter. Pitchers are fragile and it is doubtful
that Cole will still be pitching 9 years from now.

Nobody here was alive the last time the Yanks won a WS so if Cole can get them a ring he’ll be worth it.

I wouldn't write SS off quite yet. He's shown he can rebound from injuries prior - although I honestly can't remember a pitcher getting carpal tunnel before.

They knew the risks, and no doubt insured the contract. It isn't unreasonable to assume they felt if they got 5 good to great years, it'd still be worth it.

Every team that goes big money on bit time starters know they're one pitch away from eating lots of money. It is the cost of doing starting pitcher business. Sooner or later, they all go down.

I wouldn't write SS off quite yet. He's shown he can rebound from injuries prior - although I honestly can't remember a pitcher getting carpal tunnel before.

They knew the risks, and no doubt insured the contract. It isn't unreasonable to assume they felt if they got 5 good to great years, it'd still be worth it.

Every team that goes big money on bit time starters know they're one pitch away from eating lots of money. It is the cost of doing starting pitcher business. Sooner or later, they all go down.

Zambrano with the Cubs missed some time bc of that years ago I think.

Without question, in 4-5 years, they will be lamenting his contract as it limits their ability to sign/resign talent like Soto, etc. See the Phillies and Tigers as franchises hamstrung for many years by operating with such methodology.

So you prefer the Seattle Mariners', Miami Marlins' and Baltimore Orioles' approaches to roster payroll as opposed to going to the World Series?

So you prefer the Seattle Mariners', Miami Marlins' and Baltimore Orioles' approaches to roster payroll as opposed to going to the World Series?
This post is idiotic and insulting. Good. Freaking. Grief. Who would say such crap?

Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Milwaukee, St. Louis, and Minnesota (at least) are viable winners almost every year, having a shot at titles as much as Washington. Remember, the Nats are eternal underachievers and earned their (finally) title BEFORE paying. I don't hate him but resigning aging players to keep the good days around longer has never worked out.

I seriously lost respect for you with that post.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
For those keeping score at home.....the last time the
NY Yankees won a World Series was in 2009. It was
their 27th World Series Championship.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
For those keeping score at home.....the last time the
NY Yankees won a World Series was in 2009. It was
their 27th World Series Championship.

I know that I am as old as dust, but I was alive in 2009. Seems like it was merely a decade ago.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
I know that I am as old as dust, but I was alive in 2009. Seems like it was merely a decade ago.
It’s a rare decade when they don’t win one.
The team that won 4 of 5 around 2000 was fricking stacked.

I understand paying a guy for what he did , especially when it was organization changing like last year for the Nats. That being said no way I give a pitcher that long of a contract. I would rather over pay on a per year basis for something like 4 for 160 versus being tied to a 7 year contract.

This post is idiotic and insulting. Good. Freaking. Grief. Who would say such crap?

Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Milwaukee, St. Louis, and Minnesota (at least) are viable winners almost every year, having a shot at titles as much as Washington. Remember, the Nats are eternal underachievers and earned their (finally) title BEFORE paying. I don't hate him but resigning aging players to keep the good days around longer has never worked out.

I seriously lost respect for you with that post.

Easy there, chief. Was giving you a little crap is all. Didn't know you'd be so triggered. Message board GM's are easy targets.

This “ancient thinking” is applied to damn near every salaried VIP in any industry/ business and been this way for many, many years.
You talk to baseball execs who sign big money free agents and to a man, they will tell you...”if we win the championship, it’s worth every cent and then some.” That is the mindset of American sports....and American business.,

This “ancient thinking” is applied to damn near every salaried VIP in any industry/ business and been this way for many, many years.
You talk to baseball execs who sign big money free agents and to a man, they will tell you...”if we win the championship, it’s worth every cent and then some.” That is the mindset of American sports....and American business.,
This thinking is why the Patriots are STILL (20 years later) the most dominant franchise in professional sports. They do not do what you say. At all. The Oakland A's "revolutionized" sport by matching value to cost.

Everything you said has the verb "was" not "is" whether execs or you realize it.

When I heard carpal tunnel I immediately wondered if he plays too many video games.

This thinking is why the Patriots are STILL (20 years later) the most dominant franchise in professional sports. They do not do what you say. At all. The Oakland A's "revolutionized" sport by matching value to cost.

Everything you said has the verb "was" not "is" whether execs or you realize it.
How much did the Pats pay their guy who stirred the drink? Moneyball has been shown to be “smart” baseball...all these damn owners have Trump-sized egos and think they are the smartest guy in the room...now look at World Champions abd team salaries and analyze how much “moneyball” has won. Now Belichek has it figured out better than most. Belichik doesn’t fall in love with his players...except one bur even he is gone now.

As others have already said...with SP contracts... you're overpaying at the end to get the, hopefully, 4-5 great years in the beginning. No way Cole will be worth his $$$ in five years.

Strasbourg is a glass cannon if I ever saw one. When he’s healthy he’s in the same area code as Koufax.

Strasbourg still might have HOF credentials If he can be productive in his mid-to-late 30s, but if he hangs it up in the next year or two, forget it.

Strasbourg is a glass cannon if I ever saw one. When he’s healthy he’s in the same area code as Koufax.

Strasbourg still might have HOF credentials If he can be productive in his mid-to-late 30s, but if he hangs it up in the next year or two, forget it.

Strasbourg is no Sandy Koufax. Not even close. Koufax hung it up well before his time due to health...but he had a run for several years that was really dominant. He and Gibson.
The similarity between Strasbourg and Koufax might be their physical problems. Strasbourg is a great talent, but always injured.

Strasbourg is no Sandy Koufax. Not even close. Koufax hung it up well before his time due to health...but he had a run for several years that was really dominant. He and Gibson.
The similarity between Strasbourg and Koufax might be their physical problems. Strasbourg is a great talent, but always injured.
Koufax was 111-34 his last five years in the NL before he retired. He led the league in ERA all five years, in wins 3 of those years, innings pitched 3 of those 5 years, WHIP four times, 3 Cy Youngs and 1 MVP. Best stretch of pitching I can recall. Pre TJ ended his career...

Reactions: lucas80
You know, I get it, a contract is for both sides, but, there are guys who have hung it up and retired leaving money on the table.

ADVERTISEMENT