ADVERTISEMENT

Existential sports question: How many kicks in the groin do you take as a fan before giving up?

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
That is the fundamental theme of this week's post-B1G Championship beat down TwT:

Tuesdays with Torbee​

The Hawkeyes fell short on Saturday night in Indianapolis.

Tory Brecht
Columnist

The day dawned gray and dreary in Indianapolis Sunday, a cold rain splattering upon dejected Iowa fans loading up their cars and RVs for a damp and depressing funeral procession back across Illinois on Interstate 74.

24 hours earlier, despite knowing their team was a decided underdog, spirits were high among the black and gold faithful. Faithful being the key word, as hindsight proves a miracle was needed for this flawed-but-game Hawkeye squad to stand a chance against a Michigan juggernaut firing on all cylinders.

I was there with my old college roommate and longtime Kinnick seatmate. Pre-gaming was fun, and when Iowa stopped Big Blue cold for an opening three-and-out and proceeded to march right down field into the red zone, it felt for a moment as if faith would be rewarded. Alas, a trick play gone awry and an uncharacteristic missed chip shot field goal later, you could almost feel Hawkeye hopes exhale in a sigh. I’m not saying Iowa would have won if a touchdown was punched in on the first drive, but I truly believe the subsequent blowout would have been avoided.

Once again, Iowa failed on the big stage. Once again, Iowa was just good enough to be the supporting actor in another program’s magical season. Once again, Iowa fans had to ponder the existential question of whether it really is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

Personally, I feel like the collective rage and frustration Iowa fans have been spewing across multiple social media platforms the past 48-plus hours is misguided, needlessly hyperbolic and reveals a disturbing level of ingratitude for two decades of work this coaching staff has put in to make Iowa at least a championship contender. That said, I understand it.

I was at the 2003 Orange Bowl, which much like Saturday’s Big 10 Championship went from elation at the opening kickoff touchdown to disappointment in a blowout loss. I watched the 2009 dream season come to a frustrating end first with Ricky Stanzi’s injury in a loss to Northwestern and then a dispiriting overtime collapse in Columbus in another “close, but no cigar” shot at a conference title. I was in attendance the last time Iowa was in Indianapolis, where a heroic effort wasn’t enough to stop a fourth down goal line plunge that once again made another fan base ecstatic at the expense of Hawkeye tears. And I hadn’t even gotten to my damn seats at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena before Christian McAffrey scored on a game-opening 75-yard touchdown pass in what was another Iowa beat-down.
Losing sucks. Losing big games that would announce to the world that your favorite team can compete with the blue bloods sucks even more. Doing so time and time and time again is immensely frustrating.
But it is also illuminating.

Iowa isn’t a blue blood. Iowa doesn’t have the deep pockets, recruiting cachet or perennial prestige of the programs it runs into at this level. So for Iowa to win these kinds of games, it is going to take a combination of peaking at the right time along with a whole heap of luck.

That’s just the reality, and it isn’t that way for only Iowa. Since the East and West divisions were formed in the Big 10 in 2014, the West division champ is a dismal 0-7 in the championship. The East teams have outscored the West in those seven games by 283 to 123; an average score of 40 to 17.

I derive no joy in breaking down those numbers nor am I saying we (Iowa fans, the rest of the Big 10 West fans) shouldn’t be frustrated and upset by it. But we really shouldn’t be surprised.
The perspective I try to keep is that most of us felt 2021 was going to be a rebuilding year. Iowa fan consensus pre-season was a somewhat optimistic 8 or 9-win season and hopefully at least competing for a division title. Based on those metrics, Iowa not only achieved expectations, it outpaced them.

Does that make the drubbing dished out by the Wolverines less painful? Not to me. But it does lend at least a little perspective.

Of course the source of most of the griping from fans is Iowa’s anemic offense, which is a more-than-fair target of criticism. Frankly, I think it’s a minor miracle Iowa won the 10 games it did with one of the three critical phases of football basically MIA all season.

While I share in the frustration at an offense gone AWOL, I am not as convinced as what appears to be the majority of Iowa fans that the blame all lies with the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks. While neither Brian Ferentz or either quarterback excelled this season, the biggest issue holding Iowa’s offense back was, is and continues to be poor offensive line play. Saturday, the pass protection was marginally improved, but on running plays, the Iowa offensive line was absolutely destroyed, pushed back and blown up time after time after time. If you can tell me what magical plays an offensive coordinator can call that don’t require adequate blocking, I’m all ears. I don’t think they exist.

If fans get their wish and Brian is either demoted or booted (fat chance of either, but hey, the torch and pitchfork crowd sometimes gets its way) I really don’t see how a new person calling plays is going to fix the glaring deficiency of bad blocking. At every level of football, no blocking is no bueno, and that is particularly true for a program like Iowa that seeks to be complementary.

I know the general mood around Hawkeye nation is justifiably sour after a massive letdown in front of a national audience. I listened to sad songs on the depressing drive home Sunday.

But the sun still came up Monday morning. I expect the 2022 Iowa Hawkeye football team to be one of the favorites for the West division yet again. And I will be back in Indy again if that happens.

One of these days, it has to be our turn, right?

Besides, it could be worse. We could be Nebraska.

While neither Brian Ferentz or either quarterback excelled this season, the biggest issue holding Iowa’s offense back was, is and continues to be poor offensive line play.

And yet you continue to be wrong about this. You've seen it, but continue to ignore it and blame the line. When the Qb plays well the line and running game looks immensely better.

That is the fundamental theme of this week's post-B1G Championship beat down TwT:

Tuesdays with Torbee​

Tory Brecht
Columnist

The day dawned gray and dreary in Indianapolis Sunday, a cold rain splattering upon dejected Iowa fans loading up their cars and RVs for a damp and depressing funeral procession back across Illinois on Interstate 74.

24 hours earlier, despite knowing their team was a decided underdog, spirits were high among the black and gold faithful. Faithful being the key word, as hindsight proves a miracle was needed for this flawed-but-game Hawkeye squad to stand a chance against a Michigan juggernaut firing on all cylinders.

I was there with my old college roommate and longtime Kinnick seatmate. Pre-gaming was fun, and when Iowa stopped Big Blue cold for an opening three-and-out and proceeded to march right down field into the red zone, it felt for a moment as if faith would be rewarded. Alas, a trick play gone awry and an uncharacteristic missed chip shot field goal later, you could almost feel Hawkeye hopes exhale in a sigh. I’m not saying Iowa would have won if a touchdown was punched in on the first drive, but I truly believe the subsequent blowout would have been avoided.

Once again, Iowa failed on the big stage. Once again, Iowa was just good enough to be the supporting actor in another program’s magical season. Once again, Iowa fans had to ponder the existential question of whether it really is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

Personally, I feel like the collective rage and frustration Iowa fans have been spewing across multiple social media platforms the past 48-plus hours is misguided, needlessly hyperbolic and reveals a disturbing level of ingratitude for two decades of work this coaching staff has put in to make Iowa at least a championship contender. That said, I understand it.

I was at the 2003 Orange Bowl, which much like Saturday’s Big 10 Championship went from elation at the opening kickoff touchdown to disappointment in a blowout loss. I watched the 2009 dream season come to a frustrating end first with Ricky Stanzi’s injury in a loss to Northwestern and then a dispiriting overtime collapse in Columbus in another “close, but no cigar” shot at a conference title. I was in attendance the last time Iowa was in Indianapolis, where a heroic effort wasn’t enough to stop a fourth down goal line plunge that once again made another fan base ecstatic at the expense of Hawkeye tears. And I hadn’t even gotten to my damn seats at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena before Christian McAffrey scored on a game-opening 75-yard touchdown pass in what was another Iowa beat-down.
Losing sucks. Losing big games that would announce to the world that your favorite team can compete with the blue bloods sucks even more. Doing so time and time and time again is immensely frustrating.

Iowa isn’t a blue blood. Iowa doesn’t have the deep pockets, recruiting cachet or perennial prestige of the programs it runs into at this level. So for Iowa to win these kinds of games, it is going to take a combination of peaking at the right time along with a whole heap of luck.

That’s just the reality, and it isn’t that way for only Iowa. Since the East and West divisions were formed in the Big 10 in 2014, the West division champ is a dismal 0-7 in the championship. The East teams have outscored the West in those seven games by 283 to 123; an average score of 40 to 17.

I derive no joy in breaking down those numbers nor am I saying we (Iowa fans, the rest of the Big 10 West fans) shouldn’t be frustrated and upset by it. But we really shouldn’t be surprised.
The perspective I try to keep is that most of us felt 2021 was going to be a rebuilding year. Iowa fan consensus pre-season was a somewhat optimistic 8 or 9-win season and hopefully at least competing for a division title. Based on those metrics, Iowa not only achieved expectations, it outpaced them.

Does that make the drubbing dished out by the Wolverines less painful? Not to me. But it does lend at least a little perspective.

Of course the source of most of the griping from fans is Iowa’s anemic offense, which is a more-than-fair target of criticism. Frankly, I think it’s a minor miracle Iowa won the 10 games it did with one of the three critical phases of football basically MIA all season.

While I share in the frustration at an offense gone AWOL, I am not as convinced as what appears to be the majority of Iowa fans that the blame all lies with the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks. While neither Brian Ferentz or either quarterback excelled this season, the biggest issue holding Iowa’s offense back was, is and continues to be poor offensive line play. Saturday, the pass protection was marginally improved, but on running plays, the Iowa offensive line was absolutely destroyed, pushed back and blown up time after time after time. If you can tell me what magical plays an offensive coordinator can call that don’t require adequate blocking, I’m all ears. I don’t think they exist.

If fans get their wish and Brian is either demoted or booted (fat chance of either, but hey, the torch and pitchfork crowd sometimes gets its way) I really don’t see how a new person calling plays is going to fix the glaring deficiency of bad blocking. At every level of football, no blocking is no bueno, and that is particularly true for a program like Iowa that seeks to be complementary.

I know the general mood around Hawkeye nation is justifiably sour after a massive letdown in front of a national audience. I listened to sad songs on the depressing drive home Sunday.

But the sun still came up Monday morning. I expect the 2022 Iowa Hawkeye football team to be one of the favorites for the West division yet again. And I will be back in Indy again if that happens.

The championship game sucked. Our OL sucked all year. O was atrocious all year regardless of where the blame lies. But, come Spring football, and then next August, we look to capture a spot in the playoffs and I'm like...
giphy-downsized-large.gif

While neither Brian Ferentz or either quarterback excelled this season, the biggest issue holding Iowa’s offense back was, is and continues to be poor offensive line play.

And yet you continue to be wrong about this. You've seen it, but continue to ignore it and blame the line. When the Qb plays well the line and running game looks immensely better.
Go back and watch every single running play in the Big 10 championship game. Iowa's offensive line got its shit pushed in, badly. Unless somehow the way Petras hands off the ball makes linemen not block, you are just wrong.

The west has never won a big ten championship game.

considering Iowa’s offense was iffy at best not sure why anybody got their hopes too high.

you can’t create a team who’s success is based on turnovers. In the long run that isn’t something you can coach up or game plan for. There sure are nice but that isn’t a philosophy to build a team around.

sort of like the Bears last Super Bowl appearance. You are not going to get special teams touchdowns and turnovers like that very often.

Last edited:

Tuesdays with Torbee​

Tory Brecht
Columnist

After last season I am there with Iowa Basketball. I have had a game on in the background once this season. Got home from practice, turned on the Virginia game, watched them cut it to 5 and changed channels. It has made me far more sick to the stomach over the years than happy. I used to keep a season by season log of end of games where Iowa either won or blew a late lead or lost on a last second shot. It was disgusting.

The west has never won a big ten championship game.

considering Iowa’s offense was iffy at best not sure why anybody got their hopes too high.

you can’t create a team who’s success is based on turnovers. In the long run that isn’t something you can coach up or game plan for. There sure are nice but that isn’t a philosophy to build a team around.
That should have been other teams' game plans against Iowa. Probably was. Protect the football and know Iowa's O won't be able to consistently drive the field.

The number is infinite for me. I prefer to think of myself as a realistic fan when it comes to sports. I know pro or college when my favorites just don't have it going into a season - so I try not to set any expectations whatsoever so I can at least enjoy the games themselves.

My "game viewing interest" with Iowa basketball has waned over the years - been a long time since I truly felt they had something good going and it has sapped my game by game attention I'll call it. Football, I watch every game but given the length of the current regime I will from time to time tune out in-game because "I've seen this movie before" (3rd quarter last Saturday). Pros (Chiefs and Cardinals/MLB) I've been blessed with somewhat recent championships so I'm good there as long as they're trying to win it all in their own fashions.

But I'll always remain fans of these 4. Always. Just how I consume them might change from time to time. And if groin kicks are included in that consumption, so be it.

Reactions: torbee
Same. I am a very hardcore Lions fan that cares completely too much about them. I’ve been a lions fan since like 94, so too young to remember their last playoff win.

Being an Iowa fan is easy compared to the lions.
lol 94... isn't that cute.

lol 94... isn't that cute.
Yah at least you got to see a playoff win and enjoy the 90s more than Elemntary Bruno. The majority of my memories and emotional equity are post Barry. But I remember a lot from those mid 90s teams

Torbs, I too was bummed out we didn't get to hang out but you don't have to call it a kick in the nuts bro, I'm not that cool. ;) glad you and Bladel got to hang out, we had a running theme of "you gotta fight for your right to party" and we had earned the right, so we partied hard.

• Haha
A friend invited me to a George Thorogood concert last week (yes, I'm old, big whoop, you wanna fight about it?) at a theater in Wilmington that holds about 1,000 people. Proof of vaccination required. So here was the routine.
  • Couple of guys were on the sidewalk checking your proof of vaccination before entering
  • You walked by, holding out your phone, piece of paper, whatever you had
  • Guys glanced at it quickly - you barely broke your step while walking by
  • Everyone put their masks on until they got to their seats
  • Lights went down, opening act played, everyone's masks down
  • Opening act was over, lights back on, workers walked around holding "Masks up" signs. About 80% of the audience paid attention.
  • Lights went off, main act started, masks went down again
  • Oh yeah, several sanitizer stations were sprinkled around
Bottom line, no way COVID got past those measures!

Tuesdays with Torbee​

Tory Brecht
Columnist

I'm a Lions fan so.....

Same. I am a very hardcore Lions fan that cares completely too much about them. I’ve been a lions fan since like 94, so too young to remember their last playoff win.

Being an Iowa fan is easy compared to the lions.
I was about to say, try growing up a Detroit Lions or Chicago Fire fan (in the ‘90s up to the early 2000s) vs today. The last 20 years with them would test even the most hardcore fan’s perseverance.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Go back and watch every single running play in the Big 10 championship game. Iowa's offensive line got its shit pushed in, badly. Unless somehow the way Petras hands off the ball makes linemen not block, you are just wrong.
We had seats in the "Michigan" endzone and about midway through the 2nd Quarter, my wife(no pic) asked why Goodson always runs into the back of his linemen instead of running to the hole they opened...I had no answer for her...

Reactions: 24 so far
Infinite when it comes to the Hawks. Saturday wasn’t fun but imagine if they’d won. We’d all still be insanely happy and probably for several more weeks, perhaps years.

The chance of glory for Iowa is worth the pain.

At one time or another, all of my pro teams have somehow managed to win a championship. (Let's. Go. Blues. for @CJBauer), which is good enough for me.

I've seen an Iowa Final Four (and if Ronnie doesn't get hurt in 80 or we don't turtle in 87, we win the damn thing).

I would love to see a Iowa Rose Bowl win before I kick the bucket

Hell, I'd like to see an Iowa Rose Bowl where they don't get absolutely curb stomped. That's the last one on my list.

For me, I just want Iowa to have a chance. A shot at playing for something big from time to time. Like in 2015 and this year. I accepted long ago that we’ll never be at the level of an Alabama or Ohio State on a consistent basis, but we can certainly beat schools like that (and have) if we’re peaking at the right time and have a little luck on our side. So just get us there and let’s see what happens. Whether we get blown out (this year), play close (2015), or win (2009 Orange Bowl), I just want a shot at something big.

I started rooting for the Cubs in 1968, just in time to experience the brutal collapse in 1969. Forty eight years later, they won the series. So, for professional teams I guess I’m willing to go about fifty years.

Iowa, on the other hand, has everything going against it. Low population with multiple D1 schools vying for the limited talent. Cold climate a thousand miles from the nearest beach, but without mountains to attract people who enjoy the outdoors. Iowa football, honestly, has no reason to be as incredibly competitive as we have been for four decades. We are lucky that we hired two unicorns in a row.

I just enjoy the ride, and hold out hope every year that we might put together a dream season before I die.

I started rooting for the Cubs in 1968, just in time to experience the brutal collapse in 1969. Forty eight years later, they won the series. So, for professional teams I guess I’m willing to go about fifty years.

Iowa, on the other hand, has everything going against it. Low population with multiple D1 schools vying for the limited talent. Cold climate a thousand miles from the nearest beach, but without mountains to attract people who enjoy the outdoors. Iowa football, honestly, has no reason to be as incredibly competitive as we have been for four decades. We are lucky that we hired two unicorns in a row.

I just enjoy the ride, and hold out hope every year that we might put together a dream season before I die.
This is probably the healthiest approach, TBH.

I do get annoyed at dropping 4 figures on Indy and bowl trips when Iowa gets absolutely curb-stomped though, but that's a "me" problem, lol

Reactions: JRHawk2003
Much of my life as a sports fan sucked and was filled with disappointment - especially the pro teams I follow, but also includes FSU. I'm 58, so have been an avid fan since the early 70s.

FSU didn't get good until around the time I was in high school; had a couple of great teams while I was in HS, then slipped to pretty good for awhile, then was great starting in the late 80s, when they went on a run of top 10 finishes that included 2 national championships. But that stretch was also filled with disappointment - with better luck it could have easily been 6 or 7 titles. Didn't help that in several of the "near-miss" years, one of our two main rivals did win the title.

In pro sports, my teams:
Buccaneers, I grew up with; they were founded when I was in Jr. High. Suffered through 0-26; suffered through decades of being one of the most inept pro sports franchises in existence. Finally broke through with a SB in 2002, then went back to sucking. Snapped out of that last year when we stumbled into Brady.

Red Sox - became a fan as a kid because my dad was from Boston. He suffered with them for 73 years before they finally won a title; they've obviously had a lot of success since, but they also provided a lot of pain for me through the years.

Lightning - They were dreadful for most of their early existence; finally got good, won a championship, and would have had a legitimate shot at a repeat but the following season was lost to a player strike, then the team was broken up by the new salary rules when they got back to work. Were blah for awhile, then became great again. The back to back titles have cured the pain from three years ago, when they followed up one of the best regular seasons in NFL history with getting swept in the first round.

Celtics - no complaints there, they've brought far more joy than pain.

So yeah, I'm quite familiar with kicks in the nuts as a sports fan.

At one time or another, all of my pro teams have somehow managed to win a championship. (Let's. Go. Blues. for @CJBauer), which is good enough for me.

I've seen an Iowa Final Four (and if Ronnie doesn't get hurt in 80 or we don't turtle in 87, we win the damn thing).

I would love to see a Iowa Rose Bowl win before I kick the bucket

Hell, I'd like to see an Iowa Rose Bowl where they don't get absolutely curb stomped. That's the last one on my list.
::Checks the NHL standings::
Blues 28 points, Sharks 27 points

F THE BLUES!!!

Yeah, between Iowa and my San Jose Sharks, my groin is numb for life...I have witnessed every conceivable way to lose a game/series possible without winning the "Big One"...

Would I change? Nope. I am what I am...

I understand and get where you are coming from but you could say the same thing about Lexington, Kentucky (outside of rolling hills) which is one of the most prestigious basketball programs in the country. I get it's a different sport but Iowa is very similar to Kentucky in regards to population and distance from other metropolitan cities. We are 3 hours from Chicago, St. Louis, and Omaha, and 5 from Minneapolis, Indy, and Kansas City give or take. That has to be 40m+ all within 4-5 hour drive.

You have to start somewhere and believe you can be the best at what you do. As Ray Kinsella said, "if you build it, they will come." Love Kirk, but he just isn't building the brand where the top players will come at this point.

Considering all of the Vikings fans that still think their team is hot shit every season, despite them never accomplishing anything of merit in their entire history aside from 4 Super Bowl losses almost 50 years ago, fans will stick with their team a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT