ADVERTISEMENT

Existential sports question: How many kicks in the groin do you take as a fan before giving up?

College football is a game of resources. I’d argue that Iowa outkicks its coverage when you look at results over the last 40 years

They’re frustrating to watch because it’s like watching sand go through an hour glass, and I know that it’s the closest thing that Iowans have to a pro team. But this isn’t the NFL or NHL with a salary cap where results are basically derived from an owner’s desire to win and what he will do to put the pieces in place to do it.

We had seats in the "Michigan" endzone and about midway through the 2nd Quarter, my wife(no pic) asked why Goodson always runs into the back of his linemen instead of running to the hole they opened...I had no answer for her...
^^^ This ^^^
Goodson seems to have poor vision. Instead of simply missing holes he runs right into his linemen’s backsides. It’s baffling.

I started rooting for the Cubs in 1968, just in time to experience the brutal collapse in 1969. Forty eight years later, they won the series. So, for professional teams I guess I’m willing to go about fifty years.

Iowa, on the other hand, has everything going against it. Low population with multiple D1 schools vying for the limited talent. Cold climate a thousand miles from the nearest beach, but without mountains to attract people who enjoy the outdoors. Iowa football, honestly, has no reason to be as incredibly competitive as we have been for four decades. We are lucky that we hired two unicorns in a row.

I just enjoy the ride, and hold out hope every year that we might put together a dream season before I die.
I, too, was a Cubs fan for a long time. Mid 70s to early 2000s. There were a handful of good years, but in the end I got tired of watching bad baseball and having my heart broken. I don't care about the Cubs at all now.

The Iowa football program is nowhere near as frustrating as the Cubs for me. I remain a Hawks fan.

I have learned to enjoy the pain. You just think of reasons you deserve it and then it's your penance and you're good for another year.

• Haha
Reactions: torbee
This is probably the healthiest approach, TBH.

I do get annoyed at dropping 4 figures on Indy and bowl trips when Iowa gets absolutely curb-stomped though, but that's a "me" problem, lol

Yeah, I would never drop a ton of money to go to a bowl game where we will likely lose. I will watch on TV and go about my day when it gets out of hand.

Last edited:
I understand and get where you are coming from but you could say the same thing about Lexington, Kentucky (outside of rolling hills) which is one of the most prestigious basketball programs in the country. I get it's a different sport but Iowa is very similar to Kentucky in regards to population and distance from other metropolitan cities. We are 3 hours from Chicago, St. Louis, and Omaha, and 5 from Minneapolis, Indy, and Kansas City give or take. That has to be 40m+ all within 4-5 hour drive.

You have to start somewhere and believe you can be the best at what you do. As Ray Kinsella said, "if you build it, they will come." Love Kirk, but he just isn't building the brand where the top players will come at this point.

Kentucky is 50% larger than Iowa, by population. It’s largest city is 3x the size of Des Moines. It also has mountains and a much more temperate climate. So it’s not really comparable.

Reactions: dekhawk and torbee
Well let's see....

81 Rose Bowl
85 Rose Bowl
2016 Rose Bowl
1987 UNLV
2003 Orange Bowl
2006 Northwestern State
2009 Ohio State
2015 Big 10 Championship
2021 Big 10 Championship
Seemingly annual trips to the NCAA tournament as a 8 or 9 seed having to face either Duke, Kentucky, or UConn in the second round....

So the answer is, at least more than 10....

If you're a lifer for Iowa, as exasperating as it is, you suck it up and hope that by some miracle, we'll finally win the big games in college hoops and college football.

I was just listening to "Pardon The Interruption," and they were talking about Denny Crum and how close Iowa came to getting there with Ronnie Lester and Kenny Arnold and the others on that great team. For me, the apex thus far was being there for Iowa to beat Syracuse. I hope I llive long enough to get all the way some day.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
For a bit, I thought Colorado was going to beat Iowa women's game.

I try not to be, but as an Iowa fan I always expect heart failure. That is not my personality, Chiefs can be down 21 and I still think they have a chance.

I just wish we could enjoy this weekend with Iowa relevant

All of them. Iowa Hawkeye football, basketball and every other sport or nothing.

My coping mechanism- squeeze every bit of joy from wins and shrug the shoulders and move on from loses.

ADVERTISEMENT