ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion wishlist and schedule

somebody once

Scout Team
Mar 11, 2007
Iowa
There are lots of possible scenarios, give us your expansion wishlist and an example of what a typical schedule might look like in a given year.

Here is mine:
Expansion stops at a total of 20 teams with two divisions. 12 reg. season w/ 10 game conference schedule. End season w/ cross division matchup based on order of finish ie. 1 v 1, 2 v 2,…7 v 7, 8 v 8. Not sure about that last one depending on what playoff system looks like but I liked the idea when it was supposed to happen 2 years ago.

Div. A
Iowa
Illiinois
Michigan
Wisconsin
Michigan St.
Ohio St.
Minnesota
Northwestern
Purdue
Indiana

Div. Z
Notre Dame
Nebraska
Penn St.
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
Rutgers
Maryland
Stanford

Teams would play 8 in their division and 2 cross division. Some cross division teams could be “juiced” as desired matchups. For example, set the schedule making program to produce NW v Stanford 50% of the time, MSU v ND 50%, USC v OSU 50%, Iowa v Neb. 50%, Mich. v Penn St. 50% etc.
These could be rotated from time to time to create most intriguing matchups.
An example of a typical Iowa schedule with this alignment:

H N. Illinois W
H Iowa St. W
A Illinois W
H Michigan L
H Minnesota W
A Ohio St L
A Wisconsin L
H Michigan St. W
A Purdue L
H Northwestern W
H USC W
A Nebraska W
CD match H Notre Dame W

This scenario basically brings back the Big Ten 8 game scheduling prior to PSU joining. Then creates new cross division matchups that the networks will desire. It’s a long season but the new CFB is being driven by money. The divisions are pretty balanced. Every team would have a brutal schedule, much like the NFL, any winning record would be respectable.
Lastly, non conference would have to both be home games to get to min. 7 home games. So have to find teams only willing to visit Kinnick with no return trip. Iowa State could only stay on the schedule as a home game for Iowa.
A 9-4 B10 team might be the conversation for a spot in an expanded playoff system.

Expansion wishlist is the Big Ten expands to 10 teams along with the rest of the CFB conferences and tells the people in charge of this push for super conferences to go F*** themselves like they're Wisconsin on a Friday night before gameday.........

And here's our schedule:

Nebraska
At Iowa State
vs Notre Dame (Chicago)
At Indiana
Illinois
Michigan State
At Michigan
Purdue
Northwestern
At Ohio State
Minnesota
Wisconsin

You're welcome, America.

I don't think Notre Dame can stay sidelines when the SEC and the B10 is doing what its doing. I predict a 20 school conference with 4 divisions of 5.

East Coast
  1. Penn State
  2. Rutgers
  3. Maryland
  4. Indiana
  5. Ohio State
Great Lakes
  1. Purdue
  2. Michigan State
  3. Northwestern
  4. Illinois
  5. Michigan
Midwest
  1. **Notre Dame
  2. Wisconsin
  3. Minnesota
  4. Iowa
  5. Nebraska
West Coast
  1. *USC
  2. *UCLA
  3. **Stanford
  4. **Washington
  5. **Oregon
A 10 Game Conference Schedule. Guaranteed games within division every year (Four). One Guaranteed crossover for every school

Leaving 5 crossover games per school. They could make the CCG between the top two rated schools not in the same division.

Last edited:
I don't think Notre Dame can stay sidelines when the SEC and the B10 is doing what its doing. I predict a 20 school conference with 4 divisions of 5.

East Coast
  1. Penn State
  2. Rutgers
  3. Maryland
  4. Indiana
  5. Ohio State
Great Lakes
  1. Purdue
  2. Michigan State
  3. Northwestern
  4. Illinois
  5. Michigan
Midwest
  1. **Notre Dame
  2. Wisconsin
  3. Minnesota
  4. Iowa
  5. Nebraska
West Coast
  1. *USC
  2. *UCLA
  3. **Stanford
  4. **Washington
  5. **Oregon
A 10 Game Conference Schedule. Guaranteed games within division every year (Four). One Guaranteed crossover for every school

Leaving 5 crossover games per school. They could make the CCG between the top two rated schools not in the same division.
Swap Nebraska with Colorado or Kansas

East Coast
  1. Penn State
  2. Rutgers
  3. Maryland
  4. Indiana
  5. Ohio State
Great Lakes
  1. Purdue
  2. Michigan State
  3. Northwestern
  4. Illinois
  5. Michigan
Midwest
  1. **Notre Dame
  2. Wisconsin
  3. Minnesota
  4. Iowa
  5. Nebraska
West Coast
  1. *USC
  2. *UCLA
  3. **Stanford
  4. **Washington
  5. **Oregon

If it was me doing the divisions I’d just do a 9 game conference schedule, play your division every year then rotate the other 3 every 3 years.

East
Rutgers
Maryland
Penn St
Ohio St
Michigan

Central
Mich St
Indiana
Purdue
Notre Dame
Northwestern

Midwest
Illinois
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska

West
USC
UCLA
Take your pick of former pac 12 schools: 3 of following Oregon, wash, Stanford, Utah, Colorado

East Coast
  1. Penn State
  2. Rutgers
  3. Maryland
  4. Indiana
  5. Ohio State
Great Lakes
  1. Purdue
  2. Michigan State
  3. Northwestern
  4. Illinois
  5. Michigan
Midwest
  1. **Notre Dame
  2. Wisconsin
  3. Minnesota
  4. Iowa
  5. Nebraska
West Coast
  1. *USC
  2. *UCLA
  3. **Stanford
  4. **Washington
  5. **Oregon

I agree with your Four divisions of 5 teams. I might swap out Oregon for Cal but that's beside the point.

The SEC will follow suit with four divisions once they poach the ACC.

This could then allow for each of the 2 Super Conferences to have playoffs within their own conferences much like the NFC/AFC in the NFL.

The Conference winners would then play each other for the Super Conference Championship.

No need for the damn preseason rankings anymore. Just win the division and your in. Now you have your 8 team playoff.

Then figure out expanding to a 16 team playoff. OR just do 16 teams right off the bat and be done.

Just my opinion of course.

Conference is eventually going to 24 schools, book it.

New members:

USC
UCLA

Stanford
Cal
Wash
Oregon
Colorado
Virginia
North Carolina
ND ...or Duke

6-School PODS...

USC
UCLA

Stanford
Cal
Wash
Oregon

Colorado
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Wisconsin

Michigan
MSU
NW
OSU
Indiana
Purdue

Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
ND ...or Duke
NC
Virginia

OR they could do 12-school divisions if ND joins...

Michigan
MSU
ND
OSU
Indiana
Purdue
USC
UCLA

Stanford
Cal
Wash
Oregon

Colorado
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
NW
Wisconsin
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
NC
Virginia

**Obviously, an 11-game conference schedule is in play for both scenarios**

Last edited:
Conference is eventually going to 24 schools, book it.

New members:

USC
UCLA

Stanford
Cal
Wash
Oregon
Colorado
Virginia
North Carolina
ND ...or Duke

6-School PODS...

USC
UCLA

Stanford
Cal
Wash
Oregon

Colorado
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Wisconsin

Michigan
MSU
NW
OSU
Indiana
Purdue

Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
ND ...or Duke
NC
Virginia

OR they could do 12-school divisions if ND joins...

Michigan
MSU
ND
OSU
Indiana
Purdue
USC
UCLA

Stanford
Cal
Wash
Oregon

Colorado
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
NW
Wisconsin
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
NC
Virginia

**Obviously, an 11-game conference schedule is in play for both scenarios**
East-
Maryland
Rutgers
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Penn State

Central-
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Indiana
Purdue

Midwest-
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska
Illinois
Northwestern

West-
USC
UCLA
California
Stanford
Oregon
Washington

East-
Maryland
Rutgers
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Penn State

Central-
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Indiana
Purdue

Midwest-
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska
Illinois
Northwestern

West-
USC
UCLA
California
Stanford
Oregon
Washington

IF ND accepts then I could see Boston College getting an invite over N.C., but I think the officials in the B1G office definitely want Virginia and would invite them over either Pitt or Syracuse. Also, Colorado makes good sense to join the western flank and become a land bridge over the Rockies to the West coast schools.

IF ND accepts then I could see Boston College getting an invite over N.C., but I think the officials in the B1G office definitely want Virginia and would invite them over either Pitt or Syracuse. Also, Colorado makes good sense to join the western flank and become a land bridge over the Rockies to the West coast schools.
I don't know why they would accept Virginia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT