ADVERTISEMENT

Explain to me how this makes sense...

SSG T

HR Legend
Jul 10, 2002
So I'm fairly open about the things in the military, as a whole, and the Army, in particular, that I like and don't. Here's a relatively minor thing that the Army does that drives me up a wall.

So, DA Pam 670-1 describes what can be worn and not worn as or with Army uniforms. This includes the Army Physical Fitness Uniform (APFU), which is the new black and gold uni. Now, you get down to the footwear section and it say calf-length or ankle-length socks, white (a new policy letter authorizes black) with no logos (no swooshes, UAs, ADDIDAS stripes or whatever). However, the only limitation on shoes is that they have to fit all five toes into one compartment (no Vibram Five Finger style shoes).

So why can I wear any shoe I want, I wear bright yellow Skora Tempos, but I have to wear unmarked, plain socks?

My shoes (well, not mine, just the style I wear)
19742409791_1db9806f83_c.jpg

I suppose enough different people have different builds/feet/running styles that they don't want to mandate a certain few shoes and end up with a bunch of guys with shin splints.

Because few decisions made in the military ever make sense. The same reason why some branches adopting a BMI index style of weight measurement and management is dumb.

Be careful what you complain about. Some General will sign an exclusive Nike contract and force everyone to wear one style of shoe.

Reactions: moral_victory
I suppose enough different people have different builds/feet/running styles that they don't want to mandate a certain few shoes and end up with a bunch of guys with shin splints.

I get that, but the reason is because having the markings on the socks doesn't present a military appearance. So I could, if I chose, wear Nike shoes, with the Nike swoosh, but not socks with a Nike swoosh?

Because few decisions made in the military ever make sense. The same reason why some branches adopting a BMI index style of weight measurement and management is dumb.

It's only dumb if they don't allow a secondary method of testing for body fat. I'm sorry, but unless you're built like Arnold Schwarzeneggar (was in the 70's), an NFL LB, an MMA fighter or other highly trained athlete, if your BMI hits 30 you're fat.

Now, if they don't allow a body fat measurement, you are correct, that's dumb.

It's only dumb if they don't allow a secondary method of testing for body fat. I'm sorry, but unless you're built like Arnold Schwarzeneggar (was in the 70's), an NFL LB, an MMA fighter or other highly trained athlete, if your BMI hits 30 you're fat.

Now, if they don't allow a body fat measurement, you are correct, that's dumb.
True, but if fitness is the ultimate goal, than a pencil neck can turn a pretty fit person into an 'on paper' fatty. I kid you not, there was an E-6 I worked with who was in very good shape. Cross fit type, heavy lifter, etc. You didn't look at him and think fat. But.....he had a 141/2 neck. He routinely weighed over and was always taped. The second they went to BMI, he failed the first time. He barely had any weight to lose around his waist, but found a way to do it somehow and got the weigh-in. Along with a write-up.

You better hope this doesn't happen. Nike shoes suck.

My feet don't work well with them. The toe box isn't big enough in them.

It's funny, I took my kids to Fitness Sports to get fitted with spikes before Cross Country season (1 college, 2 HS) and all three ended up with Saucony shoes, but none had the same model.

My feet don't work well with them. The toe box isn't big enough in them.

It's funny, I took my kids to Fitness Sports to get fitted with spikes before Cross Country season (1 college, 2 HS) and all three ended up with Saucony shoes, but none had the same model.
They feel horrible on my feet. I wear Asics. They feel great even after a 13 mile run.

I get that, but the reason is because having the markings on the socks doesn't present a military appearance. So I could, if I chose, wear Nike shoes, with the Nike swoosh, but not socks with a Nike swoosh?

Quit asking questions and put on that reflective belt so you don't get hit by a car.

Picture1.jpg

Quit asking questions and put on that reflective belt so you don't get hit by a car.

Picture1.jpg
Nice. I still remember the first time I was scolded by an LT for not having one on. My first thought was "how the hell did I survive Basic Training without one?" Then I remembered, I have a brain.

Reactions: moral_victory
Nice. I still remember the first time I was scolded by an LT for not having one on. My first thought was "how the hell did I survive Basic Training without one?" Then I remembered, I have a brain.

Some of those guys made reflective belts their life's mission.

My son went through boot camp this summer, and I was struck by this, as well. When he bought his shoes all he could find that fit well were some goofy looking things in a hideous color - and there was no problem with them. But his socks and underwear they were picky about.

My son went through boot camp this summer, and I was struck by this, as well. When he bought his shoes all he could find that fit well were some goofy looking things in a hideous color - and there was no problem with them. But his socks and underwear they were picky about.

Yeah. I will fully admit, as a 1SG (First Sergeant for you civilians), there are some things I have real issues enforcing and will only do so if there is no other option. This is one of those. And probably part of the reason I won't make Sergeant Major. Oh well.

Honestly I am surprised that more at BMT don't end up with foot\shin\knee problems when they demand that they buy their shoes at the PX.

So I'm fairly open about the things in the military, as a whole, and the Army, in particular, that I like and don't. Here's a relatively minor thing that the Army does that drives me up a wall.

So, DA Pam 670-1 describes what can be worn and not worn as or with Army uniforms. This includes the Army Physical Fitness Uniform (APFU), which is the new black and gold uni. Now, you get down to the footwear section and it say calf-length or ankle-length socks, white (a new policy letter authorizes black) with no logos (no swooshes, UAs, ADDIDAS stripes or whatever). However, the only limitation on shoes is that they have to fit all five toes into one compartment (no Vibram Five Finger style shoes).

So why can I wear any shoe I want, I wear bright yellow Skora Tempos, but I have to wear unmarked, plain socks?

My shoes (well, not mine, just the style I wear)
19742409791_1db9806f83_c.jpg
That Pam sounds like a real bitch.

Probably because most running shoes have some sort of symbol on them. I'm sure you can find some without, but you'd really have to go out of your way. It's very easy to get a plain pair of white socks.

Are you actually complaining about the socks you are regulated to wear?

Or do you think the Army should regulate the color of you footwear?

If you don't mind, what's your MOS? Active or Guard? Just curious.

Probably because most running shoes have some sort of symbol on them. I'm sure you can find some without, but you'd really have to go out of your way. It's very easy to get a plain pair of white socks.

Are you actually complaining about the socks you are regulated to wear?

Or do you think the Army should regulate the color of you footwear?

If you don't mind, what's your MOS? Active or Guard? Just curious.

Socks, yes, I'd prefer to wear the ones that don't give me blisters, which have markings on them and aren't plain black.

No, I don't want the shoes regulated, for the same reason.

And I have 3 MOS, 91Z58, 19Z50 and 74D50. I'm currently a 1SG in an MI Company in a BSTB, while also an Ops NCO in the same BN. AGR in the Guard.

ADVERTISEMENT