ADVERTISEMENT

Extra Covid Year~ Does it Benefit Iowa Football?

Harbinger273

HR Heisman
Feb 17, 2016
I want some input from you guys. I posit that the extra year players can claim after last season could make a big difference.
We are a developmental program as we all know. If we can get enough guys to take that year and improve their game we could not only have some really savvy vets on the squad, but also Depth!
Could it put us in a better position than we might normally achieve and potentially lift us into the upper echelons of CFB sometime in the next several years?

It would, if the Iowa players took advantage of it. Instead, only Hankins and Van Vulkenberg returned for the extra year.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Any player can use it going forward so last years guys aren't the only ones we'll see taking advantage of it. I hope anyway.

This is what I'm curious about. Will a guy like Riley Moss stay after this year? With lack of depth a CB would be very helpful. Does a guy like Campbell or Higgins at LB use that extra year considering neither of them red shirted? I'm guessing most guys who have redshirted won't but will be interesting to see in the next 2-3 years to see if any of a handful of guys take advantage of it.

This is what I'm curious about. Will a guy like Riley Moss stay after this year? With lack of depth a CB would be very helpful. Does a guy like Campbell or Higgins at LB use that extra year considering neither of them red shirted? I'm guessing most guys who have redshirted won't but will be interesting to see in the next 2-3 years to see if any of a handful of guys take advantage of it.

if Campbell has a good year, he is more likely to go pro than return for senior and/or COVID year

Reactions: Harbinger273
I can see a junior or senior who has a decent/breakout year, wanting one more to have a better chance at the pros

if Campbell has a good year, he is more likely to go pro than return for senior and/or COVID year

I expect Campbell to blow up this year. Last year with mono and freshman year spot duty has limited his time on the field. You are probably right in the fact that no way he stays for a 5th year. Though I could see him easily play 2 more years.

I expect Campbell to blow up this year. Last year with mono and freshman year spot duty has limited his time on the field. You are probably right in the fact that no way he stays for a 5th year. Though I could see him easily play 2 more years.
Yeah I can see him being all conference this year.

Reactions: Harbinger273
I'd guess not many will use it. Unless they really *love* being a college football player, the main driver would be to get drafted. Usually players (and NFL scouts) know if a player is NFL caliber after 4 years. Not super likely to need that extra year....there are exceptions of course.

College football is a grind. I'd think the vast majority would be headed to the NFL or just get on with their lives when their usual eligibility is up.

ADVERTISEMENT