ADVERTISEMENT

Extra year of eligibility for fall athletes......

TonyTheTiger.1865

HR All-American
Sep 23, 2011
Is this even for teams that get to play? Is it for every class, Senior Junior, Sophomore, Freshman?
How does the 85 scholarship limit look going forward? WTF???

I think an extra year for the Seniors is a great idea. I am not sure any extra year for the other classes makes sense.

The teams that get to play should not benefit from this.

For the next 4 years is the scholarship limit 106 instead of 85?

If they all have their season impacted, why would you only give one class an extra year?

If they all have their season impacted, why would you only give one class an extra year?
What about the next class that has a whole class that would join them...it impacts them to. And if you give them another it impacts the next and so on and so on.

Don't see how schools could afford extra years, it would definitely be offered to a select few imo.

Scholarships are cheap. Classes are already in place, Dorms are already in place, books may be the only real cost and I am not sure they actually use books anymore.

Scholarships are cheap. Classes are already in place, Dorms are already in place, books may be the only real cost and I am not sure they actually use books anymore.
Scholarships are cheap? A lot of these athletes aren't living in dorms. Also, you wonder what it cost a school for a years year's worth of training table food for a single athlete? There are tons of other benefits these athletes get that all have a cost associated with them.

Last edited:
Except all that could go to more paying students....

You're also not figuring a medical food tutors etc

The seniors were dealt a crappy hand. If they have a decent shot, I'd expect most players to just declare for the NFL draft and let the chips fall. Other senior players may opt to stick around, but perhaps not all.

Just sucks. Iowa was poised to have a very good offense with its current senior class.

The NCAA allows it. Each school must also approve it. WI already said that they will not.
That was for non-revenue sports. Be interesting if they take the same approach with fb players. Imagine the uproar if they do it for fb when they didn't do it for the spring athletes. Or what if say at Iowa ism or alaric jackson or golston wanted to back and iowa said yeah but turn around and tell some senior that is replaceable or down on the depth chart no thanks?

Nope, no extra year of eligibility. The decision to not have fall football has been made. Let Warren explain the consequences to the athletes and parents.

Reactions: kceasthawk
If they allow an extra year of eligibility, are they expanding total scholarships? If not, it is going to severely limit the number of schollies available for HS seniors. There is significant domino effect to allowing this.

If they allow an extra year of eligibility, are they expanding total scholarships? If not, it is going to severely limit the number of schollies available for HS seniors. There is significant domino effect to allowing this.

The seniors that will come back won’t count against the 85 limit.

Without question. Another effect that no one talks about, is if they granted that you're effectively dumping another class of seniors, (there would then be two senior classes), ahead of the returning freshman, redshirts and incoming recruits. Makes it very difficult for incoming and first year players to get much of a shot at playing time. These kids want to play, and your basically effecting four classes instead of just the one who would lose their senior year. Really complex and crappy situation.....

Is this even for teams that get to play? Is it for every class, Senior Junior, Sophomore, Freshman?
How does the 85 scholarship limit look going forward? WTF???

I think an extra year for the Seniors is a great idea. I am not sure any extra year for the other classes makes sense.

The teams that get to play should not benefit from this.

For the next 4 years is the scholarship limit 106 instead of 85?

ADVERTISEMENT