ADVERTISEMENT

Extreme efforts are being made to save the giant Sequoia trees in California from approaching wildfires.

It's been over 30 years since I've been to Sequoia or Yosemite but I seem to recall several Sequoia trees scarred by fire and that the Sequoia cone needed heat to open up and release its seeds.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Giant sequoia cones are serotinous, which means that fire on the forest floor causes them to dry out, open and release their seeds. This adaptation ensures that the tree times the release of most of its seeds to coincide with fire, which creates ideal conditions for regeneration success.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
The underbrush is much drier which causes these fires to burn much hotter and is killing the Sequoias.

Reactions: lucas80
It's been over 30 years since I've been to Sequoia or Yosemite but I seem to recall several Sequoia trees scarred by fire and that the Sequoia cone needed heat to open up and release its seeds.
Small fires, yes. The super fires of today are burning hotter, and reaching up higher, torching the canopy.

Reactions: Torg and GOHOX69
The General Sherman Tree stands 275 feet tall and is over 36 feet diameter at the base,

That’s NUTS. Wow. I didn’t realize they were that big. Is it like that world in Mario III when everything is hugeified?

The size and scope of these forest fires has always mystified me. How do they ever get them out? And why they can’t just get ahead of it and bulldoze all the fuel around the blaze? Seems like a vehicle Elon should be working on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT