ADVERTISEMENT

Ezra Miller

Husker fan here. He noted depression and mental health issues after a mentor died, father diagnosed with cancer and brother in some accident. He will be a walk-on. He had no NU offer out of high school, but it may have never been reported or not done given he committed to Iowa in the summer.

Most importantly, hopefully he will do well personally after all of this. Whether he sees the field down the road, who knows. Our OL has sucked for five years mostly as Riley was horrible in talent evaluation and development. Fallout was still felt the last couple of seasons. Much better position going forward starting this year.

Strange deal. It was a mental health issue and not related to his back.

Iowa Football tried to do the right thing by the kid and put the focus on a back injury instead of mental health which led to a career ending medical hardship waiver. Once that was done, he had to leave Iowa if he wanted to try and play again. Good luck to the kid and best wishes for his recovery on and off the field.

I wish him luck in his pursuit on every day except one Saturday and sometimes Black Friday depending on the year.

Mildly surprised that he will be playing football again, very surprised that he will be paying his own way to do so.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08

Strange deal. It was a mental health issue and not related to his back.

It takes a lot of guts to release a statement like that. It can’t be easy to admit to having mental health troubles in the macho world of college football. He comes off as a great guy and I hope he starts one day at Nebraska. And feels great about things.

Losing him to Nebraska stings. I hate seeing home state kids go across the River.... but still good luck to him. He seems like a good kid.

Iowa Football tried to do the right thing by the kid and put the focus on a back injury instead of mental health which led to a career ending medical hardship waiver. Once that was done, he had to leave Iowa if he wanted to try and play again. Good luck to the kid and best wishes for his recovery on and off the field.
Interesting that NCAA rules say you can't play for that institution, but you can leave and play for a different one.

(Not saying he shouldn't, just that it's a strange rule.)

Well, the way I look at it is he wasn't going to see the field in Iowa City, so Debbie is a consolation prize. Besides, he will be practicing against Debbies pathetic defense so I don't think he will cause our DL any problems, thus our DL should still flourish against the Little Cakesters. ;) Good luck to Ezra.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
I loved the kid as a recruit and was rooting for him at Iowa to get on the field. That however stops now. How do you, as a fan of the U of I, go to Nebraska? Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska are a no no. Iowa State would suck but I could live with that.

Interesting that NCAA rules say you can't play for that institution, but you can leave and play for a different one.

(Not saying he shouldn't, just that it's a strange rule.)
Absolutely agree. Unfortunately, like a lot of what comes out of the NCAA headquarters.

I loved the kid as a recruit and was rooting for him at Iowa to get on the field. That however stops now. How do you, as a fan of the U of I, go to Nebraska? Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska are a no no. Iowa State would suck but I could live with that.

I imagine being close to home (Holstein, IA) is a major consideration for him, in which case Iowa State, Nebraska, and Minnesota were his best FBS options.

If his back is indeed healthy (meaning he was only sitting out for mental health reasons), I'm not surprised he wound up at Nebraska but I am surprised he's walking on. Maybe Nebraska told him he could earn his scholarship quickly if he shows he's healthy. i'd have to imagine he could have found a place that would have offered him a scholarship.

Reactions: ichawk24
This.

So...can he come back to Iowa after walking on at Nebraska for a season? Is he never allowed to play for Iowa again? Seems like a kid that still wants to be a Hawkeye. I wish him well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT