ADVERTISEMENT

Face it, this is Iowa under Fran

Really?

Year 1: 10th
Year 2: Tied for 7th with NW
Year 3: 6th
Year 4: 6th
Year 5: Tied for 4th with Purdue (5 seed BTT)
Year 6: Four way tie for 3rd (5 seed BTT)
Year 7: Four way tie for 5th (7 seed BTT)
Year 8: Three way tie for 11th (12 seed BTT)
Year 9: 6th
Year 10: Four way tie for 5th (5 seed BTT)
Year 11: 3rd
Year 12: TBD currently 9th

Seems pretty accurate to me. I can go through.

Would you feel better if I said 5th to 9th?
Probably would have been easier to just say you were wrong.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Don’t you understand Fran is the best Iowa can get? And this is the best Iowa basketball can be? And that if Fran is fired the Hawks will immediately return to Lick-level? At least that’s what the Superfans in the Sunshine Club all say.
Total BS! No one is saying that! There are no "superfans" pumping up the results of this season. What most are saying is that we, as fans, have actually zero say regarding McCaffery's tenure here. That pretty much falls on one man and he just gave the coach an extension.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Total BS! No one is saying that! There are no "superfans" pumping up the results of this season. What most are saying is that we, as fans, have actually zero say regarding McCaffery's tenure here. That pretty much falls on one man and he just gave the coach an extension.
Um….you don’t read many posts on this board, do you?

Dang...lots of folks with their undies in a bundle on this. I don't get it. We all know that winning championships and competing for national titles is not what Iowa football or basketball is about. These teams are simply funding mechanisms for the Athletic Department and a branding tool for the University. If you win more than you lose ( you must maintain the guise of competitiveness); compete occasionally for conference awards; keep your student athletes away from negative headlines and you don't get caught breaking the rules then you will be a coach at Iowa for a long time AND be well compensated. KF has set the bar on this, Fran has done his part and followed the script. This won't change until the leadership at the top changes or the money quits coming in. I know who we are. I try not to let it bother me that we aren't "in it to win it" but I understand who & what we are and it makes it a little easier to take as I get into my golden years.

Hey! this heaven? No, its Iowa...

Reactions: DewHawk
I have no idea what Fran or his assistants do on the recruiting trail but for Iowa or any other university that has to recruit to stay relevant and in contention for conference titles have to not only travel around the country, see numerous players, and identify talented players. Fran checks off all those important aspects of recruiting.

The hard part is after Fran identifying the players he wants and makes relationships, the disconnect starts?

What's causing recruits to turn down Fran's offers, is it Fran's age, his assistants ages, the university, Carver Hawkeye, the disconnect of the Iowa students to the Iowa basketball program, no prior program success in the last 20 some years?

And yes, Fran has recruited some really good to great players during his time at Iowa that we all can recite by heart, but they have not got it done.
What Is your opinion and what do you think needs to be done to attract the kind of players that Iowa needs to take on the upper teams in the Big Ten.

I like the atheticism of this year's team and I like they don't sit back in zone defense. Having an NBA lottery pick on the team that is an Iowa that is an Iowa legacy--thanks to papa K. Murray and Fran.

Fran is a couple games above 0.500 in B1G play over 12 years vs his peers. I'm looking forward to the first Sunday BTT basketball game under Fran and Iowa's first sweet16 under Fran---those are reachable expectations for any Iowa coach given 10+ years.

ADVERTISEMENT