ADVERTISEMENT

Face mask and robbing a store

Logon

All-Conference
Jan 17, 2004
I was just watching The Players golf tournament on TV. If you aren't a golf fan or haven't watched it is very cold and windy this week. One of the golfers, Lohis Oosthuizen, was wearing basically a ski mask to stay warm. The announcers were chuckling and one said "are you going to go rob a 7-11?" Louis is white.

it struck me as interesting as this is one of the alleged racist comments Brian made to Akrum.

Haven't people wearing face masks caught that little bit of shit since face masks came along? My mother wouldn't let Mike or I wear them on our paper route because we'd look like burglars. There's a commercial with some white guy costumed and casted as a burglar. That sounds like an eggshell personality to me.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I said something to the effect we looked like robbers walking into the pharmacy with my friend. I didn't think much of it, but then I remembered how some people can take that out of context, if they choose to.

Reactions: onll2004
I was just watching The Players golf tournament on TV. If you aren't a golf fan or haven't watched it is very cold and windy this week. One of the golfers, Lohis Oosthuizen, was wearing basically a ski mask to stay warm. The announcers were chuckling and one said "are you going to go rob a 7-11?" Louis is white.

it struck me as interesting as this is one of the alleged racist comments Brian made to Akrum.
Only racist if a white person says it to a black. Otherwise, carry on.

This is a perfect example of what I mean by allowing the most sensitive, and on this issue racist, person in the room to dictate the conversation.

Maybe we should teach black children that everything does not, in fact, involve their race we'd see black kids understand that almost all humans, from everywhere, and probably for all time, associate masks with criminals because most of the time (except for really extremely cold weather and Halloween) only criminals wear masks. That is certainly the case in the US.

If you look for racism in every conversation or situation you will find it, although it may take strained and insensible syllogism to get there.​

Would you ever call a person with one hand “Captain Hook”?

Would it be different if it was a friend named Jon Hookson?

My daughter doesn’t have sight in one eye and has patches on sometimes. We joke about her being a pirate. We are teaching her that it’s not a crutch and is something that she can laugh off when other kids are mean about it.

Always a classic. The your mommy joke. Great when you having nothing to come back with.....

giphy.gif

My daughter doesn’t have sight in one eye and has patches on sometimes. We joke about her being a pirate. We are teaching her that it’s not a crutch and is something that she can laugh off when other kids are mean about it.

Would you do the same thing to someone in the workplace? What if you recruited that person and told their parents they’d be taken care of and your company equally values 1 eyed and 2 eyed individuals?

Reactions: SWIowahawks
This is a perfect example of what I mean by allowing the most sensitive, and on this issue racist, person in the room to dictate the conversation.

Maybe we should teach black children that everything does not, in fact, involve their race we'd see black kids understand that almost all humans, from everywhere, and probably for all time, associate masks with criminals because most of the time (except for really extremely cold weather and Halloween) only criminals wear masks. That is certainly the case in the US.

If you look for racism in every conversation or situation you will find it, although it may take strained and insensible syllogism to get there.​
Maybe you should take a class taught by black people for white people, you'd learn a thing or two. The last thing you need to be doing is teaching black kids anything.

I have watched a movie about a one armed guy….. called Captain Hook

also play in the One Eye Open golf outing. The guy who started it has one eye. The first year you had to play with an eye patch on.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Maybe you should take a class taught by black people for white people, you'd learn a thing or two. The last thing you need to be doing is teaching black kids anything.
I think they would learn much from me. What specifically do you think I would learn from them? Be factually specific so we're talking more than tag lines and virtue signals.

Reactions: obfuscating

Teach all kids that race does not dictate who/what you can become. The media has perpetuated the falsehood of a systemic problem. The government has exacerbated the issue with minorities by creating and sustaining fatherless households.

Reactions: heartlandhawk

With a name like Oosthuizen, you're telling me he's white?

I said something to the effect we looked like robbers walking into the pharmacy with my friend. I didn't think much of it, but then I remembered how some people can take that out of context, if they choose to.
Yeah, early in the pandemic I mentioned to a guy about my age(old) that years ago if someone walked into a place everyone would think it was a robbery.

Reactions: iowahaha1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT