ADVERTISEMENT

Facts about Europe, the World, the USA and Abortion.

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
I saw this on Twitter and was surprised at how much more conservative they are on the issue. Anyone know who the other 6 countries are?

Some fun facts for all those terrified over this vote. Only 3 European Countries allow abortion past 18 weeks. Zero allow abortions past 24. The United States is one of 7 countries worldwide to allow abortions past 20 weeks (The minimum across all states due to Roe vs. Wade).

Csb

I saw this on Twitter and was surprised at how much more conservative they are on the issue. Anyone know who the other 6 countries are?

Some fun facts for all those terrified over this vote. Only 3 European Countries allow abortion past 18 weeks. Zero allow abortions past 24. The United States is one of 7 countries worldwide to allow abortions past 20 weeks (The minimum across all states due to Roe vs. Wade).

Csb

Well... if it's on Twitter it has to be true, right?

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye

Csb
You are really one tremendous pot stirrer, aren't you? You don't seem to even care about context, whatsoever.

If SCOTUS overturns Roe, it would seem that we should turn over our country's collective stats and instead add 50 states (individual countries) to the total picture of where abortion truly stands in today's world. Where might we (the USA) stand at that point?

Do you even begin to understand how that would change your results?

The irony of all this is Roe might be overturned because of a case that would have limited abortion to 15 weeks....

The same standard most of Europe uses.

Maybe if the pro choice proponents didn't oppose that case Roe wouldn't be overturned....

Last edited:
You are really one tremendous pot stirrer, aren't you? You don't seem to even care about context, whatsoever.

If SCOTUS overturns Roe, it would seem that we should turn over our country's collective stats and instead add 50 states (individual countries) to the total picture of where abortion truly stands in today's world. Where might we (the USA) stand at that point?

Yeah. I don't want Roe overturned. I think it would be horrible. I am pro-choice. You, on the other hand are so unable to remain calm that you can't even be presented with alternative views, because of some misguided fear that "people really find out the truth" and your whole world crumbles.
Since you wanna compare the US with the rest of the world

gun deaths:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gun-deaths-by-country

executions:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-45835584.amp

Aaaaand child poverty:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/06/these-rich-countries-have-high-levels-of-child-poverty/

take your bullshit “i saw it on twitter” trolling out of here
Another one that's so afraid that people might find out stats that don't fit into your perfect little bubble you've created for yourself. So scared, that you incoherently throw dumb stats about other random stuff out there to deflect away from the reality you are so afraid of. How embarrassing.

. So scared, that you incoherently throw dumb stats about other random stuff out there to deflect away from the reality you are so afraid of. How embarrassing.
YS talking about stats when he never brought any to the table to begin with. Thats rich.

at least i bring more than “i saw it on twitter” to the table

The abortion issue has become polarized in an odd way. Most people actually have a more nuanced view than the alternatives that are presented.
Most pro choice people aren't completely opposed to some sort of restriction like banning abortions after 20 weeks. Many pro life people will say they oppose all abortions but if you question them on certain scenarios (rape, incest, safety of the mother, non-viabilty of the fetus) they will concede there are some exceptional circumstances.

You bring nothing to the table. Ever.

55416572.jpg

Reactions: Tom Paris
The abortion issue has become polarized in an odd way. Most people actually have a more nuanced view than the alternatives that are presented.
Most pro choice people aren't completely opposed to some sort of restriction like banning abortions after 20 weeks. Many pro life people will say they oppose all abortions but if you question them on certain scenarios (rape, incest, safety of the mother, non-viabilty of the fetus) they will concede there are some exceptional circumstances.
The same is true of almost any political issue these days. Nuance, moderation, and compromise are not recognized or respected. It might eventually be the downfall of our republic.

Reactions: INXS83
Your posts indicate otherwise.
I think abortion is a horrible practice and is used way too irresponsibly in this country and should only be done as a last resort. But I certainly think it should be legal due to too many problems that would arise if it wasn't. I also think that it's a baby in there. Maybe not at the earliest stages, but at 20 weeks or so there's no denying it. And I still think it should be legal.

The irony of all this is Roe might be overturned because of a case that would have limited abortion to 15 weeks....

Maybe if the pro choice proponents didn't oppose that case Roe wouldn't be overturned....
Yeah, right. It's pro-choice people's fault. Good lord.

Reactions: Joes Place
I think abortion is a horrible practice and is used way too irresponsibly in this country and should only be done as a last resort. But I certainly think it should be legal due to too many problems that would arise if it wasn't. I also think that it's a baby in there. Maybe not at the earliest stages, but at 20 weeks or so there's no denying it. And I still think it should be legal.
Good thing nearly all elective abortions occur well before 20 weeks, then.

Seems like you should be in support of Roe and against nearly every legislative effort the GOP puts up for "heartbeat" bills, etc. And contraceptive access.

Your position is far more in line with Planned Parenthood than you think. If only you educated yourself on the issue, you might figure out your position is far from what the GOP plans to do.

Yeah, right. It's pro-choice people's fault. Good lord.
Not their fault but the case wouldn't be in front of the Supreme court and Roe wouldn't be getting overturned.

Maybe should have picked their battles better with a 6-3 Supreme court.

Not their fault but the case wouldn't be in front of the Supreme court
The case would not be in front of the Court if the Court had followed proper procedures and NOT allowed Mississippi to alter their case from what they originally filed.

And that's fully on Roberts for allowing procedural norms to be bypassed.

#ActivistCourt
#ActivistJudges

Reactions: TheCainer
Good thing nearly all elective abortions occur well before 20 weeks, then.

Seems like you should be in support of Roe and against nearly every legislative effort the GOP puts up for "heartbeat" bills, etc. And contraceptive access.

Your position is far more in line with Planned Parenthood than you think. If only you educated yourself on the issue, you might figure out your position is far from what the GOP plans to do.
WTF are you talking about. Again, I'm all for it. And am against all state legislation to limit it. I know you enjoy arguing with the wall, but please stop.

Again: your posts continue to imply otherwise.

Almost like you have to appease the wife looking over your shoulder...
She's way less pro-choice than me. She screams, "Well stop being so fvcking irresponsible and you won't have a problem" at the TV every now and then.

Also both sides would have been better off discussing and promoting alternatives to abortion, including adoptions and even cash payments.

instead we get the images of people saying no abortion no matter what and the people that want to be able to have an abortion extremely late.

Reactions: the_hermanator

Meh I'm happy to see Roe go and I don't believe abortion past 6 weeks should be legal for any circumstance except to save the mother's life.

That said the court could have very very easily changed the standards of Roe to 15 weeks.

They chose however to over-rule it in it's entirety.

That said if the standard had been that originally things might be different because there would be less organized opposition. A lot of opposition to abortion is gained and driven by later abortions which we are told are rare but are also completely legal to do on an elective basis. It further hurt the Dems that they almost always attempted to support abortion right up to the point of birth.

So it's possible things might have been different if that standard was in place earlier.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Yet just another issue to divide the people up even further. What each party should do is similar to the baseball negotiations: get their argument together and negotiate.

Because let's face it: the truth is that the overwhelming majority of American prefer something in the middle of this argument.

Those states signing things into law to outlaw all abortions after six weeks no matter what the circumstances? There's the extreme on the right. To those arguing you can have an abortion anytime before the baby comes out, even at 9 months...there's the extreme on the left.

I would be willing to bet that if each side could open their minds...just a little bit...there could be much more agreement on this subject matter than the people would like to admit.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious

Csb
It's interesting how we tend to cherry pick how we want to be like others - COVID control of people, national health control - until something else shows us how much freedom we really have here.

Yet just another issue to divide the people up even further. What each party should do is similar to the baseball negotiations: get their argument together and negotiate.
Like with a lot of issues, neither party want to really resolve the issues they have been bitching about for years. They would have no political footballs to bring to their base if issues actually got resolved

Reactions: the_hermanator
Not their fault but the case wouldn't be in front of the Supreme court and Roe wouldn't be getting overturned.

Maybe should have picked their battles better with a 6-3 Supreme court.
Or the folks who support banning abortion would have created a test case to get it to the SC. You think they were happy with 15 weeks?

Or the folks who support banning abortion would have created a test case to get it to the SC. You think they were happy with 15 weeks?
Nope

Point being…why oppose a reasonable 15 week restriction and risk it coming before a 6-3 court. Doesn’t seem smart…

Nope

Point being…why oppose a reasonable 15 week restriction and risk it coming before a 6-3 court. Doesn’t seem smart…
Wait...whut? You seriously don't believe the anti-abortion people would have created a test case in order to get this issue before the SC?? THIS SC?

Reactions: TheCainer
Wait...whut? You seriously don't believe the anti-abortion people would have created a test case in order to get this issue before the SC?? THIS SC?
Sure..

We’re talking about this case though. The longer you delay it coming before the court the better….Thomas could kick the bucket in the meantime and change everything

ADVERTISEMENT