ADVERTISEMENT

Fake Controversy.....

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
As a shut down of the federal government looms and becomes more a reality the discussion amongst the talking heads and politicos is “Whi is to blame? The Democrats or the Republicans?”
Well, “duh!” The GOP controls the House, the Senate and the White House. The GOP has the numbers to pass anything, yet they can’t pass a thing. How do the Dems even enter into “fault” conversation? It is a “fake controversy” at best. Failure to govern is 100% on the GOP. And some here become upset when the GOP is called the Party of No.

As a shut down of the federal government looms and becomes more a reality the discussion amongst the talking heads and politicos is “Whi is to blame? The Democrats or the Republicans?”
Well, “duh!” The GOP controls the House, the Senate and the White House. The GOP has the numbers to pass anything, yet they can’t pass a thing. How do the Dems even enter into “fault” conversation? It is a “fake controversy” at best. Failure to govern is 100% on the GOP. And some here become upset when the GOP is called the Party of No.
Wrong. If the Republicans had enough votes to pass the budget by themselves, the budget would have passed. They need 60 votes in the Senate, which means they need Democrats.

Every single thread turns into the same name calling. Has there ever been a thread where you guys agree on anything? Pretty plain to see nobody in Washington gives a crap about the American public.

You are correct here. The American Public is being held hostage over a group of people that are here illegally. A group that receives benefits that should be used for citizens. Sickening how the American citizens are getting thrown under the bus for lawbreakers.

Every single thread turns into the same name calling. Has there ever been a thread where you guys agree on anything? Pretty plain to see nobody in Washington gives a crap about the American public.
My point is undeniable. The current GOP refuses to agree on anything, therefore, nothing important can ever get done in the current climate. The Senate blames the House, blames the President, blames the Senate, blames the other party, blames the President and so it goes. Both parties play the game. The voters buy into it. No one changes.
Until the GOP can figure out what the he’ll it wants and believes in, the nation is held hostage. We do know the GOP is as financially irresponsible as the accuse the Dems of being based on their tax plan, which they did pass on Party lines. Other than destroying the nation’s credit and straining its financial system, neither party has much in common with each other.

My point is undeniable. The current GOP refuses to agree on anything, therefore, nothing important can ever get done in the current climate. The Senate blames the House, blames the President, blames the Senate, blames the other party, blames the President and so it goes. Both parties play the game. The voters buy into it. No one changes.
Until the GOP can figure out what the he’ll it wants and believes in, the nation is held hostage. We do know the GOP is as financially irresponsible as the accuse the Dems of being based on their tax plan, which they did pass on Party lines. Other than destroying the nation’s credit and straining its financial system, neither party has much in common with each other.
Your attitude is what I am talking about. I'm right you are wrong, I'm good you are bad. When do you start your campaign? I feel sorry for whoever has to work for you or with you.

Your attitude is what I am talking about. I'm right you are wrong, I'm good you are bad. When do you start your campaign? I feel sorry for whoever has to work for you or with you.

It's all the establishment politicians on both sides of the isle. Clean house. Shorten term limits. Cut back lobbying. Limit the lobbying availability to previous elected officials. Slash bureaucracy. Get rid of the redundancy of gov.
JMHO.

My “attitude” is reflective of the facts waterboy. It is not an attitude. It is an observation of what it is. The fact here is the GOP are effing this matter up when in fact, they control the whole enchilada. The Dems are far from perfect. In this matter though, there can be no mistake about where the responsibility lies. The numbers are all with the GOP and their control of both the Legislative and Executive branches is undeniable. The problem with the Republicans is they do not want to govern.

Reactions: BelemNole
It's all the establishment politicians on both sides of the isle. Clean house. Shorten term limits. Cut back lobbying. Limit the lobbying availability to previous elected officials. Slash bureaucracy. Get rid of the redundancy of gov.
JMHO.
You remove PRIVATE funding fron all campaigns and 90+% of your issues are solved.

JMHO.
I agree. I'm sure Joel is a good guy but sometimes we forget both parties have to compromise some to achieve a goal. Washington has no way to benefit the public with the current atmosphere.

Reactions: Foxclone
My “attitude” is reflective of the facts waterboy. It is not an attitude. It is an observation of what it is. The fact here is the GOP are effing this matter up when in fact, they control the whole enchilada. The Dems are far from perfect. In this matter though, there can be no mistake about where the responsibility lies. The numbers are all with the GOP and their control of both the Legislative and Executive branches is undeniable. The problem with the Republicans is they do not want to govern.
I'm pretty sure the CR can be filibustered, i.e., requires 60 votes in the Senate.

JMHO.

As soon as we get rid of the fascist in the white house, and get him and his crime family in the jail house, where they belong.

They need 60 votes in the Senate, which means they need Democrats.
Nope... But you "sounded" so certain. Here is a good explanation, and you'll see this explanation was written when the proverbial shoe was on the other foot.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...house-chief-staff-jack-lew-says-budget-requi/
We’ll skip a few interim steps (including floor consideration in the House) but when the budget resolution is ready to hit the floor in the Senate, its consideration is governed by section 305(b)(1) of the Congressional Budget Act of 1974, the law that enshrined the current federal budget process.

Most business in the Senate is subject to filibustering -- that is, actions, or even just threats, to talk a bill to death. Filibusters can be overcome by what’s known as a "cloture" vote that shuts off debate and moves a measure toward final consideration. For the Senate to agree to cloture requires 60 votes -- a high threshold that many Senate majorities are unable to muster on controversial votes (and, increasingly, even on relatively uncontroversial votes).

However, the filibuster cannot be used to block a budget resolution. That’s because the Budget Act sets out a specific amount of time for debate in the Senate -- 50 hours. If a specific amount of debate time is enshrined in the controlling statute, the filibuster is moot. So a simple majority -- not 60 votes -- is all that’s required to pass a budget resolution.

Where were your complaints about the Racist president we just had for 8 years?
The racist slimeball has only been president for 1 year. But if you are talking about the previous president, I complained a lot about him. But that wouldn't fit your agenda that everyone not fawning over this fascist regime must be communist.

Reactions: 3 and Out on D
Nope... But you "sounded" so certain. Here is a good explanation, and you'll see this explanation was written when the proverbial shoe was on the other foot.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...house-chief-staff-jack-lew-says-budget-requi/
We’ll skip a few interim steps (including floor consideration in the House) but when the budget resolution is ready to hit the floor in the Senate, its consideration is governed by section 305(b)(1) of the Congressional Budget Act of 1974, the law that enshrined the current federal budget process.

Most business in the Senate is subject to filibustering -- that is, actions, or even just threats, to talk a bill to death. Filibusters can be overcome by what’s known as a "cloture" vote that shuts off debate and moves a measure toward final consideration. For the Senate to agree to cloture requires 60 votes -- a high threshold that many Senate majorities are unable to muster on controversial votes (and, increasingly, even on relatively uncontroversial votes).

However, the filibuster cannot be used to block a budget resolution. That’s because the Budget Act sets out a specific amount of time for debate in the Senate -- 50 hours. If a specific amount of debate time is enshrined in the controlling statute, the filibuster is moot. So a simple majority -- not 60 votes -- is all that’s required to pass a budget resolution.
Nope...are you sure about this? Have you run this past the Senate’s leading Constitutional expert, Iowa’s Senator Grassley? ;)

Wrong. If the Republicans had enough votes to pass the budget by themselves, the budget would have passed. They need 60 votes in the Senate, which means they need Democrats.
Then they have to “deal” Lone. That is what politics is. It is deals...not ideology. The problem with the GOP is that they have no real identity. Other than not being Hillary, they really has no substance to their nation campaign in 2016. They won but the “were not Hillary” mantra has no speed any more. They need ideas. Ideas they can turn into legislation. Being a leader is not easy. And they are making it more difficult than it needs to be.

You are correct here. The American Public is being held hostage over a group of people that are here illegally. A group that receives benefits that should be used for citizens. Sickening how the American citizens are getting thrown under the bus for lawbreakers.

Isn't this the "art of the deal" happening here? Why can't the great negotiator get what he wants at the bargaining table? This isn't about DACA, because it's just as much about the unpopular wall as well. Failure to get a budget or CR passed lies on all of Congress, who is just two parties trying to maneuver so they can claim a political win and score re-election talking points and they don't give a damn about the people they affect because of it.

Isn't this the "art of the deal" happening here? Why can't the great negotiator get what he wants here at the bargaining table? This isn't about DACA, because it's just as much about the unpopular wall as well. Failure to get a budget or CR passed lies on all of Congress, who is just two parties trying to maneuver so they can claim a political win and score re-election talking points, and they don't give a damn about the people they affect because of it.

From what I have seen, they want DACA or the dems say no deal on extension. So, aren't they picking the illegals over the American Citizens?

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
From what I have seen, they want DACA or the dems say no deal on extension. So, aren't they picking the illegals over the American Citizens?

Isn't Trump holding out unless he gets money for the wall which he sometimes throws in the same category as "border security"?

Isn't Trump holding out unless he gets money for the wall which he sometimes throws in the same category as "border security"?

Yes he is, to protect the American Citizen. So, again, aren't the Dems picking illegal Immigrants over the American Citizen?

This and only this. Any other argument is absurd

So how are these DACA children at fault? Do you often blame the son for the sins of the father? Where was their choice in it?

We are talking government shut down. The Dems want a DACA deal or they shut it down.

So, again, I ask aren't the Dems picking illegals over the American Citizen? And you aren't going to answer that because they are.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
We are talking government shut down. The Dems want a DACA deal or they shut it down.

So, again, I ask aren't the Dems picking illegals over the American Citizen? And you aren't going to answer that because they are.

It's all about perspective I guess. Can't the Dems say the GOP is shutting it down because they don't want to deal on DACA? Can't it be said the GOP is picking its citizens over innocent children?

Can the GOP even get 51 votes to get the CR and kick the can down the road some more?? If they can't do that this falls squarely on them.

I agree. I'm sure Joel is a good guy but sometimes we forget both parties have to compromise some to achieve a goal. Washington has no way to benefit the public with the current atmosphere.

When was the last time republicans compromised? They had 8 years during the Obama administration to compromise and never did. Now all they want from the democrats is to fully agree with everything they propose.

Reactions: joelbc1
It's all about perspective I guess. Can't the Dems say the GOP is shutting it down because they don't want to deal on DACA? Can't it be said the GOP is picking its citizens over innocent children?

Can the GOP even get 51 votes to get the CR and kick the can down the road some more?? If they can't do that this falls squarely on them.

Are we talking government shut down or DACA?? The DACA deal is going to take awhile because there are a lot of working parts and work with the kids and send their parents back, pretty simple.

However, right now we need the government to run for the American Citizen, who's kids are here legally, so the Dems are picking the illegal children over my children.

When it comes to the Dems shutting down the government, they are picking the illegals over the American Citizens.

Then they have to “deal” Lone. That is what politics is. It is deals...not ideology. The problem with the GOP is that they have no real identity. Other than not being Hillary, they really has no substance to their nation campaign in 2016. They won but the “were not Hillary” mantra has no speed any more. They need ideas. Ideas they can turn into legislation. Being a leader is not easy. And they are making it more difficult than it needs to be.
They're trying to deal. The Dems want DACA as an issue. They know that no matter what is truly the case, the Republicans will be blamed for a "shutdown."

And you obviously haven't been paying attention to the news for a couple of years. Trump had a pretty detailed agenda when he was running; Hillary had nothing except criticism of Trump. That's continued through the first year of his administration. The guy is a total asshole, but he's got a long list of stuff he wants to do.

Are we talking government shut down or DACA?? The DACA deal is going to take awhile because there are a lot of working parts and work with the kids and send their parents back, pretty simple.

However, right now we need the government to run for the American Citizen, who's kids are here legally, so the Dems are picking the illegal children over my children.

When it comes to the Dems shutting down the government, they are picking the illegals over the American Citizens.

If DACA is on the table and a sticking point, then why is a border wall on the table for the other side and how is that not the same? Regardless, the perception is going to be the GOP controls Congress and the White House and if the government shuts down it will be on them.

The government will shut down when they stop collecting withholding taxes from your paycheck, which won't happen. Most "shutdowns" are for show not out of necessity.

They're trying to deal. The Dems want DACA as an issue. They know that no matter what is truly the case, the Republicans will be blamed for a "shutdown."

And you obviously haven't been paying attention to the news for a couple of years. Trump had a pretty detailed agenda when he was running; Hillary had nothing except criticism of Trump. That's continued through the first year of his administration. The guy is a total asshole, but he's got a long list of stuff he wants to do.

What exactly was his detailed agenda? He made a lot of promises but not a lot of thought about how he was going to achieve them. ISIS was going to be gone in 30 days, Mexico was going to pay for the wall, immigration ban was going to keep us safer. When it came down to getting those things done nothing ever happened and in the case of the ban it was not well thought out in advance enough to not get shot down in court.

He wants to MAGA, but other than talk about it, he has no real plans on how to actually achieve it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT